Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just watched Thought Crimes. I give it a 5, in a scale of 1-10.

The show was okay. Joe did show in it until the middle of it.

Comment

After watching the first couple of episodes of Atlantis, a few things strike me about Major Sheppard.

Firstly, I've only been watching him for two episodes, but I feel like I've been watching him for years. The character is so incredibly likeable that you just warm to him straight away. It's like watching an old friend. Some people might say it's because Sheppard is like Jack O'Neill. Yes, his sarcastic humour is similar to O'Neill's, but I think that's where the similarities end. I don't look at Sheppard and think of O'Neill at all. Sheppard's a totally new, interesting character.

On the other hand, we don't really know that much about him at all. In the first episode, when everyone was leaving Earth and saying goodbye to their loved ones, Sheppard was just sitting all alone. Did he really have no-one on Earth to say goodbye to? It makes me wonder a bit about his background. It seems there's a lot more to Sheppard than meets the eye, and I hope we get to find out more about his past and what drives his character in future episodes.

Also, he's really hot...
      "Never give up! Never surrender!" - Galaxy Quest

Comment

Sheppard seems like just another action guy to me. Replacable.

Weir, McKay, Beckett have become indispensable, and to some extent Ford and Teyla too. I mean you remember them when the show is over. I tend to forget about Sheppard.

So why is he so important, well... he was lucky that:

Spoiler:

- In Rising the Ancient drone manage to miss his helicopter a dozen of times. Surprising though... drones being more efficient with more powerful Guld ships in The Lost City...

- He's the only one who has the ancient gene full so they really need HIM to manage Ancient tools. The damn ******* has the keys of the car

- When he killed his first Wraith she happened not to regenerate precisely in the part he pierced.

- When he did a nice forward roll in The Storm he managed not to suffer from all the hard objects in his backpack, and could continue the fight...

Apart from that I see him as the renegade pilot type, more like Harrison Ford in Star Wars, but less interesting, more politically correct.

Also, in Rising, he was clearly a foil to Sumner. Now as time is passing by he becomes more and more military. "Action Sheppard".
        No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
        I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
        Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

I don't find Sheppard to be much like O'Neill. He seems more "John Creightonish" to me. Maybe it is just the sarcasm he tosses around. I do like the character and Joe is rather easy on the eyes.

Since Sheppard was thrown into the Atlantis mix at the last minute and didn't really know what was going on, I think Sumner should have been kept around a few more episodes to help ease him into the overall story. With Sumner and Sheppard knowing each other better, Sheppard's actions towards Sumner in the hiveship would have been more personal and difficult to deal with.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

SciFi repeated Childhood's End last night.

Sheppard is making their introductions:

Sheppard: I'm Sheppard. This is Rodney, and Teyla... (looks back at his host) You say you're an Elder?

Interesting that Sheppard used his last name for himself, but introduced McKay by his first name. And poor Ford doesn't get either of his names mentioned, although I'm sure Sheppard would have introduced him as Ford.

I'm waiting for some race to think Ford's first name is Lieutenant.

My kind of guy:
            "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
            Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
            (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

I've just realised where I've seen Joe Flanigan before!!

He was in a couple of episodes of Dawson's Creek as Vince, the fisherman. I remember watching those eps (and not so very long ago, as I've bought the DVDs) and thinking he was pretty hot. But when Atlantis started, I didn't make the connection. Now I remember him though!

Have also seen him in an episode of Tru Calling. Note to myself - need to be more observant!
              "Never give up! Never surrender!" - Galaxy Quest

Comment

Originally posted by CultTVGirl
                I've just realised where I've seen Joe Flanigan before!!
                Check out Joe Flanigan's credits on imdb.com. Then you can look for him when you watch those programs.

My kind of guy:
                "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

I am a huge fan of John Sheppard and the actor who plays him. I love how Joe brings Sheppard to life.

I think there is so much that can be done with Sheppard. That he has the most natural use of the gene. We haven't seen devices appear for anyone else. That he's a Math Genius. All things that should, and I hope WILL, be used in the future.

Just curious to know. What kinds of scenarios would you like to see for the Major? Such as things to happen with Sheppard in future eps and such. All specs of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
                    Just curious to know. What kinds of scenarios would you like to see for the Major? Such as things to happen with Sheppard in future eps and such. All specs of course.
                    A good whumping, preferably in the rain.

Comment

A good whumping, preferably in the rain.
                      Heeee. That totally works for me.

Comment

I too am a big fan of Joe and Shepherd is my favorite SGA character among the men and agree alot can be done with him ..
                        I'm still hoping a Teyla/John romance starts developing but as long as John is front & center I'll watch SGA and my hope is to see more scenes of him without his shirt on LOL

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by SHEPHERDHOLIC
                          I too am a big fan of Joe and Shepherd is my favorite SGA character among the men and agree alot can be done with him ..
                          I'm still hoping a Teyla/John romance starts developing but as long as John is front & center I'll watch SGA and my hope is to see more scenes of him without his shirt on LOL

Pam
                          You said exactly what I feel. So long as John is front and center in SGA. I'm watching. I wouldn't mind an eventual John and Teyla pairing either.

Comment

It seems both Sheppard and Teal's likes turkey sandwiches.

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferhailey
                              Now he should be a good character! He looks a bit young to be commanding the Atlantis project though
                              He may be a bit young to be commanding the Atlantis project, but he is a really good leader and really funny. He has a good sense of humour and I think that he is a corresponding person to Jack in SG-1, because he has the same type of humour and is very cocky

Comment

There is a four page article with Joe Flanigan in issue 3 (Jan 2005) of Dreamwatch. I found my copy at Borders Bookstore (US). Matthew Fox of the TV series "Lost" is on the cover.

Photos from The Defiant One and Hot Zone. Interview was done after the season wrapped production.

OT, there is also a 5 page article with Amanda Tapping in the same issue.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Working...
                                X