Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Stargate: Atlantis is cooler than Battlestar Galactica...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
    But beign controversial for controversial's sake is jsut like that little who has to piss everyone off, just to show they can. No point other than that. ALways arguing about everything whether they believe it or not, just to see how people's reactions will be.
    SGA doesn't always say soemthing, true, and when it does I often have a problem with it, unlike with SG1 when they weer saying something. But in sGA's case, when they're saying something it's not in order to be controversial - it's in order to actually say it.
    All SGA has said in the last couple of seasons in my opinion is 'Look! We can reuse old storylines and get renewed! We am invincible!'. Admittedly, The Seer was actually pretty awesome and original...I just don't understand why they can't make the episodes that good each week. That's me comparing the scripts of The Seer and Reunion though lol

I think that BSG wasn't being controversial to anger the audience, although the creators knew that some people were going to get angry either way, but if you notice about almost everything in the series - they relate to Earth as the fleet progresses in thier journey to reach the legendary 13th Colony.

I think thats what RDM had in mind, not an idea to go out and 'piss people off' but to relate the cylons and humans to whats happening on modern-day Earth.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Limb View Post
      uhhh no sorry genocide is not acceptable as a means to deal with something, just because they are "evil" doesnt mean they deserve that, nothing does.
      as to what can beat them... i can't say, i wasnt dumb enough to write myself into that particularly wet and soggy corner
      First off, let's stop insulting the writers...

I think this comes down to our own moral views, which we aren't going to change, but let me just ask: If you were in a kill or be killed situation, what would you do? Or even, what would you do in SG-1's position?

if i think i know what your getting at:
      the problem is that atlantis is but one of hundreds of sci fi shows that just sit there and churn out the same old tropes week in week out but just keep going regardless of quality (or sanity) it does nothing to rise above its own sci fi trappings, BSG however uses sci fi as the background universe to tell an all too human tale, the science fiction isnt the show the people who inhabit the world are and that is why it is infinitely more interesting.
      Not to me, it's not. To be honest, I find Galactica's main storyline far more interesting than the characters, because I don't find any of them particularly likeable, and therefore don't care about them.

I've got no problem with Atlantis being "just" a sci-fi show, as long as it tells decent stories with engaging characters, which it's doing IMO. With Atlantis, I find both the sci-fi and the characters interesting.

I'm fine with moral analogies, but BSG has a tendency to ram them down people's throats sometimes, and watching it becomes kind of like watching the news.

Comment

ah yes that time they were going to wipe out every cylon and then helo stopped it and showed them the error of their ways thus actually bringing the topic up in the show and discussing it as well as having some character conflict.
        yeah thats just like that atlantis episode when........................ oops.
        Not everyone agreed with the "Michael" experiment, and they only went through with it in the end because they needed to see if the retrovirus would work. And the only time they've ever used it against the Wraith was when they desperately needed breathable air and the only ship with any was a Wraith one.

As for the Ori, Merlin's weapon was a last-ditch effort to stop the invasion. The Ori really are pure evil; they have no interestin changing or stopping until every last human is converted or dead. With the Cylons, at least they can reason and be swayed to think differently, so genocide is a bit more extreme.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
          First off, let's stop insulting the writers...
          haha fair enough, but its so easy!!

I think this comes down to our own moral views, which we aren't going to change, but let me just ask: If you were in a kill or be killed situation, what would you do? Or even, what would you do in SG-1's position?
          contract the whole thing out to the Aschen they love genocide.

i dont think i can answer this without insulting the writers again to be honest, if i were to write SG1 rather than destroying them i would have found a way to cut them off as it were, ascended beings live in higher dimensions so create some form of barrier that stops them interfering with this one.....there you go, thats the dilemma, you could block the ori from interfering in this dimension but it will also block the ancients and no one can ascend ever again. im sure you could fit a big space gun in there somewhere.

Not to me, it's not. To be honest, I find Galactica's main storyline far more interesting than the characters, because I don't find any of them particularly likeable, and therefore don't care about them.

I've got no problem with Atlantis being "just" a sci-fi show, as long as it tells decent stories with engaging characters, which it's doing IMO. With Atlantis, I find both the sci-fi and the characters interesting.

I'm fine with moral analogies, but BSG has a tendency to ram them down people's throats sometimes, and watching it becomes kind of like watching the news.

ah tis all opinion to me atlantis's stories are just plain bad and in the character area about as engaging as a book about shelving units.
          To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            Not everyone agreed with the "Michael" experiment, and they only went through with it in the end because they needed to see if the retrovirus would work. And the only time they've ever used it against the Wraith was when they desperately needed breathable air and the only ship with any was a Wraith one.

As for the Ori, Merlin's weapon was a last-ditch effort to stop the invasion. The Ori really are pure evil; they have no interestin changing or stopping until every last human is converted or dead. With the Cylons, at least they can reason and be swayed to think differently, so genocide is a bit more extreme.
            ah yes forgot about the whole michael thing d'oh!

thats a fair point at the end there, but i would say kudos to BSG writers in creating an enemy that is as flawed as humans are.

it just points to poor writing again on the behalf of sg1 (damn having ago at the writers again! but who else is to blame!) and their really weird need to keep making enemies more and more powerful as if that equates to a better storyline.

and also.
            merlin?......... come on!
            Last edited by Phantom Limb; 25 November 2007, 12:34 PM. Reason: really bad grammar
            To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Comment

ah yes forgot about the whole michael thing d'oh!

thats a fair point at the end there, but i would say kudos to BSG writers in creating an enemy that is as flawed as humans are, it just points to poor writing again (damn having ago at the writers again! but who else is to blame!) on the behalf of sg1 and their really weird need to keep making enemies more and more powerful as if that equates to a better storyline.

and also.
              merlin?......... come on!
              now personally i'd put that the other. Showing the cylons to be flawed, in the same way humans are flawed, in fact shows good writing. It shows that while the cylons began as being perhaps supperior to humans (stronger, potentionally smarter etc) they have evolved to be just as flawed, to the point where they have the exact same flaws as the thing that they despise.

Stargate on the other hand just has a much simplier solution which doesn't show much creativity. Instead of building up the enemy, exploring their vulnerabilities and their flaws and showing them to be just mindless killing machines (the wraith, the ori) which to the most part they are, they merely make them boring.......so what's the solution? Just make them more powerful or introduce a new more powerful enemy.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                now personally i'd put that the other. Showing the cylons to be flawed, in the same way humans are flawed, in fact shows good writing. It shows that while the cylons began as being perhaps supperior to humans (stronger, potentionally smarter etc) they have evolved to be just as flawed, to the point where they have the exact same flaws as the thing that they despise.

Stargate on the other hand just has a much simplier solution which doesn't show much creativity. Instead of building up the enemy, exploring their vulnerabilities and their flaws and showing them to be just mindless killing machines (the wraith, the ori) which to the most part they are, they merely make them boring.......so what's the solution? Just make them more powerful or introduce a new more powerful enemy.
                yeah i agree completely, i think i buggered up with my grammar or something but thats what i was trying to say with my post, lol

good points tho
                To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Comment

ah right ok then. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift View Post
                    Man, as I watch this season, I find that Stargate Atlantis to be just as crappy as Season 10 of SG1.

I watched all of Season 1, 2, 3 of BSG, and find myself enjoying every episode. Not one episode made me lose attention from the episode. Plot lines are fluid and theres no plot holes in the storylines.

What about Stargate series?
                    - Plot holes
                    - No fluditiy between episodes
                    - Storyline blows

Even the good storylines like "The Travellers" could have been done much better.

What about Adrift and Lifeline? Good ops episodes, but could have used more action and plot.

It seems to be the same stuff over and over again.

1) Bad problem
                    2) We're screwed
                    3) Op mission, or fight
                    4) Get objective completed
                    5) Friend or someone gets left behind, or something screws up a bit
                    6) The end, problem solved.

I love Stargate. I watched Stargate since Season 2 of SG1, and Season 1 of SGA.

But this is just putrid.

If I had the power, I would definitely give up both stargate series (if SG1 was still airing) for Battlestar Galactica.

I am just vexxed that SGA continues to go, and BSG is gone by 2009.
                    I found BSG to be boring and unoriginal but although some eps of S4 have been good, on the whole I agree with you, same stories but with slight changes like missing was just like hide and seek but stupiditer and I can't stand the new doctor. They have a thing about them killing doctors and replacing them with uninteresting substitutes!
                    sigpic

Comment

So, I watched Razor. It was really good. I just did not get that feeling of anticipation for Season 4 of BSG than I did for SGA's season 4. They are truly different shows. I think they are both great shows. I just happen to enjoy SGA and SG-1 better. I wish all three shows were seeing an additional season like SGA.
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't really give a frack how "controversial" something is. If it's not entertaining, then it's failed in what it's trying to do, at least for me.

BSG failed me.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          I don't really give a frack how "controversial" something is. If it's not entertaining, then it's failed in what it's trying to do, at least for me.

BSG failed me.
                          well true enough but for some people do think that it is entertaining. personally i like how bsg explores human nature and even how we deal with extreme situations which i think bsg does very well.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                            BSG failed me.
                            Yeah I agree... somewhere along the line I lost interest in BSG, I still want to see Razor though... maybe it will respark an interest, I'm not banking on it though...

Comment

Originally posted by FenRiR Ragnarok Warlord View Post
                              Yeah I agree... somewhere along the line I lost interest in BSG, I still want to see Razor though... maybe it will respark an interest, I'm not banking on it though...
                              I just watched it... and it was "meh".

Spoiler:
                              The plot was kinda dull, although I did love seeing Cain and her crew's darker side that we've heard so much about. My friend actually fell asleep watching it, though, since action came few and far between.

Also, WHY DID THEY HAVE TO ADD THE STUPID "CHOSEN ONE" STUFF? I've had enough of the "Kara Thrace blah blah blah" stuff... That completely ruined it for me.
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by sg8man View Post
                                I've gotter say, BSG would be a lot better if it was more 'shooting cylons' instead of this "oh, am I a cylon, aren't I a cylon," "Oh no, I've run out of bourbon," "Oh, no person x is a cylon." "oh no, i have a hangover." "oh no, i rooted person x' "oh no, i cant fly because I'm on drugs"

Imagine a SG:A episode done by BSG writers / directors:
                                -McKay has produced a working wraith detector.
                                -McKay discovers that Carter is a wraith.
                                -Calldwell is called in to interrogate her, which he does by brutally raping her.
                                -Meanwhile, Ronon is having a drunken orgy with Teyla
                                -John is also drinking for no apparent reason
                                -John discovers that Ronon and Teyla are having a drunken orgy.
                                -In furious anger John gets Keller pregnant
                                -Wraith darts are detected incoming to the city
                                -John is too drunk to fly a jumper and crashes
                                -In deep regret, Ronon kills himself
                                -And it turns out that kellers baby is also a wraith
                                -then there is a sudden "one year later." and the show gets even worse.
                                Wait, that's even less interesting than Irresponsible. How did you manage that?
                                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Working...
                                X