This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FieryHands
    "This is Weir" sounds much better than "Weir here." (that's more of a phonetic issue) I suppose she could say "Weir speaking" but I don't see why it would be an issue because everyone knows what she's saying. Weir, while not the most common last name ever, IS her last name and anyone who would mock her is probably asking for the same treatment that one scientist got for whining at her instead of doing his job. Fans are always a different matter however, but I doubt many immediately thought weird when they heard her name. I didn't, still don't.

Like people have already stated, going by "Elizabeth" wouldn't be professional. She could slap "Dr." at the beginning but there's no real need to.
    I don't think anyone means to mock her name. I didn't immediately think of weird, either. It was only after hearing it a few times, and then I didn't think much of it. There are a lot of names that sound like words.

The problem with saying "Weir here" or "Weir speaking" is that it could sound like "We're here" or "We're speaking." That wouldn't be very helpful if you don't know she means Weir. But personally, I think "Weir here" or "We're here" has a nice sound to it. It borders on twangy, though.
    Tripudire est irritus
    Jumping is useless

Nu ani Lunatas
    We are the Mooninites

Comment

Furlig God:
      I dunno whats your mother tongue, but i'm quiet sure you also have some names meaning something. And if you here it, you dont think of that think actually

Example:
      Dr. Zelenka
      Meaning of that name: Something green or cabbage.
      I also havent thought of cabbage first
      "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Originally posted by veneticuss
        Furlig God:
        I dunno whats your mother tongue, but i'm quiet sure you also have some names meaning something. And if you here it, you dont think of that think actually

Example:
        Dr. Zelenka
        Meaning of that name: Something green or cabbage.
        I also havent thought of cabbage first
        I don't think Zelenka means cabbage in Czech, you do?

Comment

Originally posted by .Ra.
          I don't think Zelenka means cabbage in Czech, you do?
          Since you are from Abydos and me from the Czech Republic I daresay i'm a bit more right then you

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

I just think it's creepy (and kind of ironic given that SG:A deals with wormholes) that Dr. Weir is also the name of Sam Neil's character in the movie Event Horizon.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
              I just think it's creepy (and kind of ironic given that SG:A deals with wormholes) that Dr. Weir is also the name of Sam Neil's character in the movie Event Horizon.
              Jsut a coincident i suppose

Comment

Since you are from Abydos and me from the Czech Republic I daresay i'm a bit more right then you
                I think you got a point there.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                  Probably a homage... they like to reference to other movies after all.

Comment

I'm not complaining that Weir is called Weir.

I'm complaining that the authors make her say "Hello, this is Weir" in situation where things are wierd and she is helpless.

Apart from that, I have nothing against that precise name. Just saying that professionnal authors shouldn't do that, imho.
                    No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
                    I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
                    Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
                      I'm complaining that the authors make her say "Hello, this is Weir" in situation where things are wierd and she is helpless.
                      I still don't get what you expect them to have her say. If they are talking on an open channel she does have to identify herself before she speaks.

Comment

You know, if they could just dial up Atlantis or Atlantis manage to dial earth just one more time, I might be able to get out of my predicament...see "Location" Then I could answer all your questions!

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Working...
                        X