Where the Pegasus Galaxy is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My thoughts again on this:

I feel the writers are giving fictional properties to a galaxy that exists in the real universe. There's been two comments on the distance of the galaxy; Jackson mentioned the local group, McKay mentioned a distance of 300 million lightyears. I also believe that Pegasus will be considered a greater distance from home compared to Ida. It will explain why a staff weapon's energy source can power the gate to Ida, but a ZPM is needed for Atlantis.

Assume we're talking the same galaxy...
    Pegasus is a very old, and very small dwarf galaxy, you wonder why the Ancients just didn't head to Andromeda, a spiral galaxy like our own. (Other than the galaxy being the title of another show.) Heh... I'm stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroe
      McKay mentioned a distance of 300 million lightyears.
      I think McKay was just being dramatic.
      I also believe that Pegasus will be considered a greater distance from home compared to Ida. It will explain why a staff weapon's energy source can power the gate to Ida, but a ZPM is needed for Atlantis.
      We don't know enough about the "O'Neill Device" to determine whether on not it could have connected to a Pegasus gate. We have to assume they didn't try because the device is no longer viable.
      Pegasus is a very old, and very small dwarf galaxy, you wonder why the Ancients just didn't head to Andromeda, a spiral galaxy like our own.
      Maybe they wanted a little galaxy to themselves. You know, like a little place out in the country-side, away from the hussle-and-bustle of those full-sized galaxies.
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

ZPMs are not powered by subspace, they're powered by zero point energy, that's why it's called a zero point module. Zero point energy is supposedly limitless because it draws upon the vibrational energy present in particles even at absolute zero. The most logical reason as to how the ZPM ran out of energy is that the device itself has broken down over time and is no longer able to make use of the ZPE.

Now about why they were able to dial to Ida with a naquadah generator but needed a ZPM to dial to Pegasus. I remember an episode where someone said that a wormhole can draw energy from either gates to power itself so maybe the wormhole generated by the naquadah generator drew its energy from the Asgard side while the wormhole to Pegasus has to draw all its energy from earth's side.

Comment

Here's a differnt thought on the differences between 5th Race and Alantis

compatability.

In Alantis, they were using achient tech to provide extra power to the Stargate, which does have some achient tech intergrated into it. It is possible that there might have been some signal that the gate sent (like a ping) and the ZPM was able to return it, which told the gate that there won't be any problem in dialing this long distance call, and it went right through like it was a local call. (Or like making a long distance call from your house, the swichboard "knows" you'll pay for the call.)

So in the 5th Race when we had a home made ZPM, there was no ping returned, so the gate made sure that it would be a valid call. (Like making a collect phone call, you're allowed to talk after the receiving party has agreed to accept the charges.)
          Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

O'Neill:
          "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

Carter:
          "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

CARTER: You made [this]?
          ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
          McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

Slashdot:
          "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

Comment

Originally posted by Thor's Pal
            Here's a differnt thought on the differences between 5th Race and Alantis

compatability.

In Alantis, they were using achient tech to provide extra power to the Stargate, which does have some achient tech intergrated into it. It is possible that there might have been some signal that the gate sent (like a ping) and the ZPM was able to return it, which told the gate that there won't be any problem in dialing this long distance call, and it went right through like it was a local call. (Or like making a long distance call from your house, the swichboard "knows" you'll pay for the call.)

So in the 5th Race when we had a home made ZPM, there was no ping returned, so the gate made sure that it would be a valid call. (Like making a collect phone call, you're allowed to talk
            Weird, i had a very similar idea.

However, mine is that the power submitted by the zpm and the naquadah module are different, and that the newer atlantean gate only can be powered that distance with a zpm, and the ida gate can take different power types

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
              ZPMs are not powered by subspace, they're powered by zero point energy, that's why it's called a zero point module. Zero point energy is supposedly limitless because it draws upon the vibrational energy present in particles even at absolute zero. The most logical reason as to how the ZPM ran out of energy is that the device itself has broken down over time and is no longer able to make use of the ZPE.

errrrmmmm actually they are powered by sub space..its been said in the program!!!! i remember it well !!!!
              Nexus

Comment

Originally posted by dpgiffin
                Weird, i had a very similar idea.

However, mine is that the power submitted by the zpm and the naquadah module are different, and that the newer atlantean gate only can be powered that distance with a zpm, and the ida gate can take different power types
                Good thought, but I don't see that being the case- but that's only because of the amound of "converting" the power would go though between the zpm and teh SGC gate. The zpm has to sit a holder which has a positive and a ground, then its hooked to the breakers, which sends the power to the clamps on the gate and so on. the wires between the breaker and gate clamp would be typical earth wireing, which would be ac. I seriously doubt that the achient tech would use electricity in a typical AC/DC fasion. So in converting the zpm output to AC, then AC->what ever the gate uses, I would think that would obscure what the power type is.

Of cource, that also kind of shoots a few holes into my own theory too, doesn't it? Oh well (the downside to attending an engineering univeristy)
                Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

O'Neill:
                "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

Carter:
                "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

CARTER: You made [this]?
                ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
                McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

Slashdot:
                "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

Comment

Originally posted by Nexus
                  errrrmmmm actually they are powered by sub space..its been said in the program!!!! i remember it well !!!!
                  Nexus
                  Well then it's a goof on the part of the show. Why the heck would they call it a zero point module if it doesn't use zero point energy?

Comment

Originally posted by Nexus
                    Nexus
                    Um... No, McKay said the device derives zero point energy from a field of subspace... Go watch Rising again, it's right there.
                    "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

The ZPM draws its power from a self contained region of subspace, however vacuum energy (AKA zero point energy) would also be generated in subspace, so it's not a glich.
                      The ZPM has a compactified subspace dimension inside the device. The vacuum energy that is generated by that subspace dimension is what charges the ZPM. When the subspace region becomes entropic, it no longer produces power, which means the ZPM is depleted, or will be once the power it's charged with is used.

As for Pegasus, there are many galaxies with that name. The one they're talking about in the show, is the Pegasus Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy (also known as Pegasus II, KKH 99, Peg dSph, or Andromeda VI).
                      The idea is that this galaxy orbits so far away from Andromeda that it swings very close to the Milky Way.
                      If the ancients were planning on heading to Andromeda, they would have likely stopped by this galaxy since it'd be on the way.
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                        Maybe they wanted a little galaxy to themselves. You know, like a little place out in the country-side, away from the hussle-and-bustle of those full-sized galaxies.
                        Too bad the neighbors turned out to be so terrible.
                        Last edited by Hatcheter; 13 January 2005, 01:17 AM.

a time to mourn

Comment

Subspace doesn't exist, it's just something Star Trek made up to help with their technobabble.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                            Subspace doesn't exist, it's just something Star Trek made up to help with their technobabble.
                            Read up on your quantum physics.

Comment

Subspace exists, it's a subset of a set with certain properties but the type of subspace they talk about on Star Trek and Stargate does not exist. In fact, subspace as described in Star Trek and Stargate is more like hyperspace, which is a theoretical entity used to explain Einstein-Rosen bridge.

Comment

Assume we're talking the same galaxy...
                                Pegasus is a very old, and very small dwarf galaxy, you wonder why the Ancients just didn't head to Andromeda, a spiral galaxy like our own. (Other than the galaxy being the title of another show.) Heh... I'm stubborn.
                                Hmm, good point. Why wouldn't the ancients choose to explore the closest galaxies to their home galaxy? The only reason I'd see to explore galaxies far away is to see if the structure of the universe is different in different parts of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X