Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just thought of something else - may WE are speaking their language! LOL! I wonder if the alien races that SG1 encounters wonder - how come they speak GLubnarb, or whatever they call their own language.

Comment

"maybe it had to do with their arrival at Atlantis and the gene's or whatever. Seems like the city understood everything, maybe the city did something to them as they walked around, something they didn't know about"

Upon viewing the tape, I think this is the reason that the hologram spoke English. Everyone on the team, from any country, probably heard it in his or her native language. The Ancients' computer knows. Same as the puddle jumper instantly reading thoughts.

Now, about the natives. Yes, I will still "assume" that the producers assumed that we have read the website backstory about the translator tech. Especially since we hear Teyla speak in terms of "years" . I still hope the address it in passing, now and then, like Star Trek and Farscape did.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff
        This is funny. No one gets it. The Ancients originated on Earth (as stated on SG-A ep1) The Ancients built the Gate system. Many people in the Milky Way galaxy speak a close equivilant to modern American English. (Although most were taken from Earth by the Goa'uld and scattered.) At some point the Ancients moved to the Pegasus galaxy. People in the Pegasus galaxy also speak a close approximation of English. The Ancients moved back to Earth and now "English" is the 2nd most common language on Earth.

It's very simple, the Ancients either created the "English" language, or created a language that quite easily evolved into "English" on almost every world they visited.
        This is a fun theory, but then why doesn't everyone on Earth speak English as their native tongue? Let's pretend a UT!

Comment

My personal opinion is that the Ancient's spoke a form of Latin, maybe even taught it to the Romans. Remember the first time O'neill downloaded the ancient's repository into his brain, Daniel translated what he was saying by looking up the root variations of what O'neill was saying in his Latin Dictionary. He also said that it was probable that the Ancients taught the Romans language, democracy etc going off references he found to the Romans learning from the "road builders"

So from what he said in that episode the Ancient's spoke some earlier variant of Latin or at least that was what O'neill spoke when he downloaded the repository into his brain.
          "It will take more than courage to survive what is to come"

Comment

My personal opinion is that the Ancient's spoke a form of Latin, maybe even taught it to the Romans. Remember the first time O'neill downloaded the ancient's repository into his brain, Daniel translated what he was saying by looking up the root variations of what O'neill was saying in his Latin Dictionary

I agree with you there. Since it doesn't explain out hearing English, we can assume a UT. Which begs the question - if the Ancients' had translation technology (we know the Asgard do), then WHY did the O'Neill get the information downloaded in Ancient, and not in English?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
              They spoke English because it's a television show! Get it? Besides, subtitles and action sequences do not mix.
              WHAT ! you have alot to learn, the stargate is very real.

Comment

!!!LOL!

Let's see what develops over the course of the series. THey may yet explainit.

Comment

Working...
                X