Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'm still gonna go with the UT! Or the fact that the Ancients have other technology that will enable any person to communicate in that person's language.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
      Come on....what fun would it be if they had to spend the first 30 minutes of every 42 or so minute episoide translating a language?
      That's just a bad (and lazy) excuse for not doing it right.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
        They've done episodes where the people couldn't speak english.

NO ONE LIKED IT.
        Speak for yourself.
        While the idea is good about having other people not be able to speak english in a different galaxy...it HINDERS the story and the series.
        Nonsense. Only if you employ totally talentless hacks.

Who the heck would want to watch an hour episode where the first 20 mins is just trying to get down thier language...EVERY single time they meet someone new?
        Only a talenthless hack would write such an episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
          They spoke English because it's a television show! Get it? Besides, subtitles and action sequences do not mix.
          Not if you reading skills are bad. But there are millions of europeans who watch everything (tv/theater) subtitled, and they don't have a problem, regardless of the genre. Its only a matter of practice. And what better way to practice than with your favourite tv show

Comment

Originally posted by IceHunter
            Not if you reading skills are bad. But there are millions of europeans who watch everything (tv/theater) subtitled, and they don't have a problem, regardless of the genre. Its only a matter of practice. And what better way to practice than with your favourite tv show
            So, if my reading skills are bad then action sequences and subtitles are okay? Huh? Do you know how many times I had to rewatch episodes of Iron Chef to process both the (hilariously inaccurate) subtitles and the action in the kitchen? Do you?

I can agree to disagree on the subject and I don't care for TPTB to spend precious broadcast time dealing with language barriers that have hitherto not existed. If some people prefer to imagine that the fictional universe that is Stargate actually found a universal translator sometime when the cameras weren't running, then hey...whatever works for you. Suspension of disbelief works for me. We travel the galaxy and they all speak English. With equally rare exception, it worked for George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry. Works for me.
            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
            once done, cannot be undone...
            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Do Europeans go: "Is it just me or does anyone find it odd that everytime a new planet is visited, they speak French/German/Spanish/etc.?"

I think the answer is yes, but the real question is, does anyone actually care?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

This is funny. No one gets it. The Ancients originated on Earth (as stated on SG-A ep1) The Ancients built the Gate system. Many people in the Milky Way galaxy speak a close equivilant to modern American English. (Although most were taken from Earth by the Goa'uld and scattered.) At some point the Ancients moved to the Pegasus galaxy. People in the Pegasus galaxy also speak a close approximation of English. The Ancients moved back to Earth and now "English" is the 2nd most common language on Earth.

It's very simple, the Ancients either created the "English" language, or created a language that quite easily evolved into "English" on almost every world they visited.

Comment

Or it's a part of our genetical make up

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff
                    This is funny. No one gets it. The Ancients originated on Earth (as stated on SG-A ep1) The Ancients built the Gate system. Many people in the Milky Way galaxy speak a close equivilant to modern American English. (Although most were taken from Earth by the Goa'uld and scattered.) At some point the Ancients moved to the Pegasus galaxy. People in the Pegasus galaxy also speak a close approximation of English. The Ancients moved back to Earth and now "English" is the 2nd most common language on Earth.

It's very simple, the Ancients either created the "English" language, or created a language that quite easily evolved into "English" on almost every world they visited.
                    Umm... noooo
                    The Ancients originated on Earth 2 million years ago, therefore English didn't exist yet. The people taken from Earth by the Gou'uld were taken during the Egyptian times, where English didn't exist. The Ancients went to the Pegasus galaxy before English existed, they returned from the Pegasus galaxy before English existed. They all died or Ascended before English existed. English is a rather young language compared to others in the world.
                    *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
                    McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Two million? Um... "OK"

Comment

Since when did we get an exact date?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Thats what was said at the beginning of SGA... I think.
                          Something along that idea, it was a very big number.

Comment

Give or take several 10 million years =)

Comment

aAnubiSs, did u catch the number, I'm still downloading the episode, Bittorrent is so slow.

Comment

Dr. Jackson said the city probably left Earth 5-10 million years ago

Comment

Working...
                                X