Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already spent a great deal of time in another thred defending Weir. I only wish those of you who didn't like her would be a little bit.... more articulate about it. But than again, there seems to be a disturbing tendency in these boards to insist that characters you don't like, or that you don't want to sleep with, should die.

Comment

I totaly agree. Get rid of Weir and Ford...

Comment

I think alot of people on these boards are being quite harsh towards not only the character of Dr. Weir, but to Torri Higginson as well, especially you Furry.

I'm in agreeance with Major Fischer, as I've tried as well to defend the character and the actress. What if Torri reads the forums, and sees posts about people wanting her to die? I don't think that would be very reassuring to the actress. If she does read the forums, I would like to say that she is doing a fantastic job with the character and she should not lose faith that certain members in the fanbase don't think she is.

Some people here need to learn how to offer constructive criticism instead of making death threats.
        "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

We must toss Weir to the Wraith!

There, less harsh enough?

Comment

Oh yeah, if people don't agree with it, say it louder...

I don't care what you are saying if you can't be bothered to be respectful of the other people on the board by not using huge red text.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
              Oh yeah, if people don't agree with it, say it louder...

I don't care what you are saying if you can't be bothered to be respectful of the other people on the board by not using huge red text.

Jeez, there is no pleasing some people.

"We must toss Weir to the Wraith."

Here, satisfied?

Comment

Originally posted by furry
                Jeez, there is no pleasing some people.

"We must toss Weir to the Wraith."

Here, satisfied?
                I think everyone is well-aware of your opinion.

Or are we? Is it Weir the character you hate or Higginson actress? And what happened to your Carole Bouquet thread?
                To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

The Carole thread was turning into a one-sided flame war and was swallowed up by the Mods.

As for Weir, I think the writers need to wake up and concentrate on making her a fully-fledged character with some personal quirks instead of being Ms. Xenophobic Leader Girl. By that's my opinion.

I have no problem with the actress. Yet. I like her better than Carole.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    The Carole thread was turning into a one-sided flame war and was swallowed up by the Mods.

As for Weir, I think the writers need to wake up and concentrate on making her a fully-fledged character with some personal quirks instead of being Ms. Xenophobic Leader Girl. By that's my opinion.

Aw... I must've missed all the fireworks.

Anyway, I was going to say that while Carole Bouquet is beautiful, I have my doubts she would be able to act effectively in English. Yes, she's won a César Award (French Oscar), but Torri has won a Gemini Award (Canadian Emmy).
                    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Somebody posted elsewhere that Weir is absolutely terrified at the situation she's in. And I think that's a good take and that's what Higgison is aiming for...what sane person WOULDN'T be in that situation?

Problem is....there've been no situations to show her inner state...and there've been no way for her to find out that folks like James T. Kirk, Horatio Hornblower and so on have felt the same way.

Comment

OK Folks, I'm only going to say this once. Let's get a proper discussion going here. If we can't then this thread will go the same way as the others - it will be closed.

GateWorld has rules, but there is one in particular that is the most important - no negative personal remarks about cast/crew/other posters. In other words, real people. As long as someone is clearly talking about a fictional character, then that is OK.

If you think that someone is breaking the forum rules then report them to the mods. Please do not take it upon yourself to police other posters - that is not your responsibility.

This should be a discussion of ideas and opinions, NOT a discussion of the rights of other posters to have those opinions.

If you find that a thread subject isn't something you like, then just ignore it. There is nothing productive in going into a discussion just to rubbish the people for having that discussion in the first place.

When you do reply to a post, give reasons for why you're disagreeing or agreeing, explain your point of view. Give people something on which they can reply either agreeing or disagreeing - that is the point of a discussion thread.

If posters can't allow other people to express their opinions (as long as they do so within forum rules) without constantly rubbishing them in an unproductive manner, they will be put on moderation.

We expect people who come to GateWorld to have grown up, adult discussions. Not to be simply rude to each other.
                        sigpic

Comment

(intended for humor ) We're sorry GateGypsie. If we offended you in any way, it was unintentional. Please don't be a hater. . .
                          efficiency is nothing more than intelligent laziness

Comment

I'm a moderator on this forum, and I'm also the forum manager. It is my job to make sure that discussions go according to forum rules. We don't have many forum rules, and they're not difficult to follow. Don't be a hater? Now there's the oddest thing I've ever heard anyone say! I don't feel 'hate' or 'love' for you guys in this thread - I'm just making sure that you keep to the rules.

Now, please lets get back on topic.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat

What carole thread? Any 'flaming' here is less than in other threads on this board. That's for sure!

As for Weir, she's a character that has to develop. By that I mean we don't want her being superwoman right off the bat. That would be dull as dishwater. She's been a civilian diplomat most of her life. That means dealing with humans, on Earth, with stupid petty human squabbling. While she's had to broker deals, they have been (except for "New Order") deals in which hte consequences do not mean that everybody around her (including herself) can be blown to smithereens.

I think she's done well, and her decisions must be made for the whole, not the few, and basically she has to shove aside personal feelings. She'll make decisions that Sheppard doesn't like, or McKay, or Bates. She's not there to score brownie points, but to get a mission done. And Bates, he's doing the same thing, although I think he needs lessons in how to say it. Dale Carngie course, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by prion

As for Weir, she's a character that has to develop. By that I mean we don't want her being superwoman right off the bat. That would be dull as dishwater. She's been a civilian diplomat most of her life. That means dealing with humans, on Earth, with stupid petty human squabbling. While she's had to broker deals, they have been (except for "New Order") deals in which hte consequences do not mean that everybody around her (including herself) can be blown to smithereens.

I think she's done well, and her decisions must be made for the whole, not the few, and basically she has to shove aside personal feelings. She'll make decisions that Sheppard doesn't like, or McKay, or Bates. She's not there to score brownie points, but to get a mission done. And Bates, he's doing the same thing, although I think he needs lessons in how to say it. Dale Carngie course, anyone?
                                My problem and I think this goes for a lot of other people is the feeling that this isn't how TPTB are playing it. The flaws that Weir has shown can be explained quite easily as giving the character depth, showing how her lack of training and experience in leading a huge number of people in life and death situations leads to mistakes (such as the way she handled Kavanagh in 38 minutes) isn't actually that at all. It is TPTB simply getting the character wrong.

I'm trying to withold judgement myself on that one. I'd like it to be the reasons explained, as I really want her to be less than perfect - that would make her so much more interesting.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X