This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Tyler
    I neither like nor dislike Ronon, although I think his introduction was unnecessary.
    His introduction was necessary. Ford was a very bland character who added nothing to the show and was going nowhere.

TPTB wanted a warrior character who was edgy and interesting, but now that they have him, there's nothing particularly interesting about him.
    I don't think they wanted "a warrior character". I think they wanted to introduce a character who was interesting and added a new dimension to the team and new perspective.

He grunts and fights, that's about it. The sad thing is, they wanted this edgier character to replace the "less edgy" Ford, so they give Ford the enzyme plot (which makes Ford a warrior, edgy, and interesting) and then kick him off to add "warrior, edgy, interesting" Ronon.
    It didn't make Ford edgy, it made him progress from bland to annoying and irritating and I don't mean in a good way. RSF could not pull off this new dimension at all.

Why didn't TPTB just keep enzyme Ford?
    I'd like to think they've noticed it hasn't worked just like Ford in Season 1.

The team could have captured him in the episode "Runner." When he comes back they are able to return him back to relative normalcy (no more mutated eye) but he is still somewhat dependant on the enzyme. He still periodically has to take the enzyme to live (a la tretonin) but due to modifications by Beckett, the drug no longer alters his brain chemistry (as much), and he is able to retain some of his SuperFord abilities. This way, TPTB have their warrior, edgy, and interesting character, plus we already know and care about him.
    RSF could not pull off edgy and interesting. I think you are reducing Dex to a typecast and trying to bend the character of Ford to meet what you think they wanted. The problem is they developed a new character to replace Ford who wasn't working rather than dump Ford as they developed a new character.

Think about it...there are so many different angles they could explore. Maybe Ford is still addicted (like a recovering alcoholic) and has to fight the urge to take the pure enzyme from Wraith he kills (kind of like Blade fighting the urge to drink real blood). Maybe Ford (though no longer "crazy") is still somewhat aggressive because of the enzyme and he has to deal with suppressing the "darkness" inside him. There are so many different great plot devices TPTB could pull from this scenario.
    RSF has already proved he couldn't pull off the whole addiction problem and dealing with his darkside. We need less or rather no more Ford not more.

Instead of taking this opportunity, TPTB decide to screw Rainbow over and jettison a character because they didn't care to make the effort to develop him. I don't hate Ronon...I just miss Ford.
    Ever consider perhaps they knew he was a lost cause?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
      His introduction was necessary. Ford was a very bland character who added nothing to the show and was going nowhere.

I don't think they wanted "a warrior character". I think they wanted to introduce a character who was interesting and added a new dimension to the team and new perspective.

It didn't make Ford edgy, it made him progress from bland to annoying and irritating and I don't mean in a good way. RSF could not pull off this new dimension at all.

I'd like to think they've noticed it hasn't worked just like Ford in Season 1.

RSF could not pull off edgy and interesting. I think you are reducing Dex to a typecast and trying to bend the character of Ford to meet what you think they wanted. The problem is they developed a new character to replace Ford who wasn't working rather than dump Ford as they developed a new character.

RSF has already proved he couldn't pull off the whole addiction problem and dealing with his darkside. We need less or rather no more Ford not more.

Ever consider perhaps they knew he was a lost cause?
      Your opinions are based upon an assumption that Rainbow Sun Francks is a bad actor. Since I do not agree with the originating assumption, I cannot argue on these points. All I can do is vehemently disagree.
      Originally posted by gooner_diva
      Also, why the need to drag Ford into every discussion about Ronon?
      I don't "drag Ford" into every discussion about Ronon...I discuss Ford in discussions where Ford is relevant.
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I don't "drag Ford" into every discussion about Ronon...I discuss Ford in discussions where Ford is relevant.
        I wasn't talking about you. Yours just happened to be the only post in this thread that was talking about Ford. I quoted it in order to address the trend of people always comparing Ronon to Ford without any apparent reason. It is my understanding that TPTB reached the conclusion that Ford wasn't working out the way they planned and reduced him to recurring BEFORE deciding to bring in Ronon. The point being: they didn't get rid of Ford to make way in the credits for Ronon, the "warrior, edgy, interesting" character they wanted. Ronon is a character in his own right, not just a list of character traits that you're attributing to him. Treating Ronon only as a comparison to Ford, or rather, an inferior version of Super Ford isn't helping. It's pushing a personal agenda. Suffice it to say that when shippers do that, it's called militant and therefore dismissed as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Eire

<snip>

RSF could not pull off edgy and interesting.

<snip>

You must be watching a different show. Or possibly, just don't have a clue about the issues you're talking about - because I'm an actress as well, described as a 'very natural and talented one' by someone I respect deeply - but I was damn well awed by Rainbow's talents in Siege III. I think he did a staggeringly good job. Better than I could do. Better than some of the experienced and genuinely talented actors I know could do.

There was a subtlety to his inner struggle that actually carried to his eyes, in Siege III, when he was holding Carson against that window. When he is playing SuperFord, he is meant to be jittery and inconsistent and his behaviour erratic. He's supposed to be over the top, because he's filled with Wraith enzyme - and this is a race who find it perfectly normal to declare, "I AM YOUR DEATH" in a gurgle while imprisoned.

Look what the enzyme did to Rodney in a few minutes!

I think Rainbow's performance has been highly plausible and inspiring <Mod Snip>
          Last edited by TameFarrar; 20 January 2006, 01:14 PM. Reason: personal bickering Off topic

Official Member of the Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
          ...and the Lord said, 'Let there be F.O.R.D.' and there was, and it was good...

Comment

Let the man have his opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by alfirin_kirinki
              You must be watching a different show. Or possibly, just don't have a clue about the issues you're talking about - because I'm an actress as well, described as a 'very natural and talented one' by someone I respect deeply - but I was damn well awed by Rainbow's talents in Siege III. I think he did a staggeringly good job. Better than I could do. Better than some of the experienced and genuinely talented actors I know could do.

There was a subtlety to his inner struggle that actually carried to his eyes, in Siege III, when he was holding Carson against that window. When he is playing SuperFord, he is meant to be jittery and inconsistent and his behaviour erratic. He's supposed to be over the top, because he's filled with Wraith enzyme - and this is a race who find it perfectly normal to declare, "I AM YOUR DEATH" in a gurgle while imprisoned.

Look what the enzyme did to Rodney in a few minutes!

I think Rainbow's performance has been highly plausible and inspiring <Mod Snip>

Same here, I think Rainbow is doing an excellent job playing Ford.
              Last edited by TameFarrar; 20 January 2006, 01:15 PM. Reason: quoted comment: personal bickering Off topic
              Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
              Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Amaunator
                Am I the only one who seriously hates this character?

He doesn't directly obey orders, Sheppard always has to insist multiple times, or explicitly say that it is in fact an order.

He's too aggressive as seen in
                Spoiler:
                Michael, a very sympathetic character, Ronon attacks him for no reason at all... He was going to kill him, he didn't put his gun on stun!

He is violent towards teammates as seen in
                Spoiler:
                Epiphany, he threatens McKay multiple times! This is unacceptable.

Weir should be fired too for even tolerating this madman on the Atlantis base, the most important mission mankind has ever been on. But that's for another post.
                Well I doubt your the only one who hates him. I however am not one of those people. I actually like him better then I thought I would.

Now, I am a few shows behind you, so maybe I missed something, but from what I have seen I disagree on two points.

One, Ronan is following Sheppards orders a lot better and a lot quicker then I thought he would when they brought him in. Maybe its my lower expectations but so far so good in that regard for me.

The other area of disagreement was your example of violence towards the teammate. In that particular episode I personally thought he showed wwaaaayyyy more restraint then I would have expected... or would have shown myself... I was waiting for the beat down with every world out of Mckays mouth. And I am a fan of Mckay... I just think he needs to be slapped silly once in a while.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I think Dex's character is starting to seem a bit bull headed and dumb. Shoot first, say 'duh' later. He didn't seem that way when he was first introduced, but during the last SGA episode (forgot the name) it seemed to me that he was acting a little stupid-er than normal, and Mckay was being exceptionaly rude to him. Dex is a guy who's been fighting the Wraith for a long time, you can't do that and not have a brain in your head.
                  TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                    Let the man have his opinions.
                    We aren't allowed to attack the actors.

And equally, I am allowed mine. They are: that Rainbow is a damn good actor and that his statements were offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Amaunator
                      Am I the only one who seriously hates this character?

He doesn't directly obey orders, Sheppard always has to insist multiple times, or explicitly say that it is in fact an order.

He's too aggressive as seen in
                      Spoiler:
                      Michael, a very sympathetic character, Ronon attacks him for no reason at all... He was going to kill him, he didn't put his gun on stun!

Spoiler:
                      Michael was a wraith. Still is a wraith. Ronon spent seven YEARS being hunted by the wraith. He has issues. However, he sure was right, at least in the episode, that this was a very bad idea. Anyway, Shep shouldn't have tried to have Ronon make nice with Michael. BIG mistake.

He is violent towards teammates as seen in
                      Spoiler:
                      Epiphany, he threatens McKay multiple times! This is unacceptable.

Spoiler:
                      Not physical threats, just tossing him through the portal after Shepaprd. After all, there's McKay, saying he knows it all, telling Shep to go through. It's plot.

Weir should be fired too for even tolerating this madman on the Atlantis base, the most important mission mankind has ever been on. But that's for another post.
                      The thing is that this 'madman' is a denizen of the Pegasus Galaxy and knows a lot about how to handle hte wraith, and heck, no way is Shep gonna even think about getting rid of him as he likes that gun of Ronon's too much
                      Last edited by Major Tyler; 19 January 2006, 02:51 PM. Reason: add spoiler tags

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                        and heck, no way is Shep gonna even think about getting rid of him as he likes that gun of Ronon's too much

Hahaha. So damn true!

I'd like to see Ronon stick around, as well. Since we've lost so much of what made Atlantis good in the first place, in season two, he and Zelenka are the only reasons to keep watching, for me.

That and an unfortunate and stubborn loyalty to the show.

Comment

We aren't allowed to attack the actors.
                          <Mod Snip>

Just asking, because if that's actually a rule, it's been violated a few times.

And equally, I am allowed mine. They are: that Rainbow is a damn good actor and that his statements were offensive.
                          Yes you are, <Mod Snip> he was obviously just expressing his opinions on RSF's acting abilities. Perhaps I misunderstood the meaning of that phrase? You sounded like you wanted him to shut up.

And I kinda agree with him. RSF just seems a little bland, IMHO of course.
                          Last edited by TameFarrar; 20 January 2006, 01:16 PM. Reason: personal bickering Off topic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                            Just asking, because if that's actually a rule, it's been violated a few times.
                            I believe it is, ur allowed to attack the characters, but leave the actors alone.
                            You must be watching a different show. Or possibly, just don't have a clue about the issues you're talking about - because I'm an actress as well,
                            could have sworn RSF was a guy...

Comment

I don't think they should get rid of Ronon, but I do find him a bit one-dimensional. Right now TPTB are focusing too much on his anger and his violent tendencies. He's the cliche of the hired grunt who shoots first and asks questions later.

He just needs to be fleshed out a bit. Quit attaching him to Teyla all the time and get him interacting with others. Show more of his backstory or have him meet his people or other runners. Have him show more emotion beyond anger - I really liked his tearful response in Trinity when he found out some of his people were alive. Focus a bit more on his brains rather than his brawn. He did come from a technologically advanced cilivization after all.

Teyla was woefully underdeveloped in season one and she's finally getting some stories in season two. I imagine the same will be true for Ronon.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                                He just needs to be fleshed out a bit. Quit attaching him to Teyla all the time and get him interacting with others. Show more of his backstory or have him meet his people or other runners. Have him show more emotion beyond anger - I really liked his tearful response in Trinity when he found out some of his people were alive. Focus a bit more on his brains rather than his brawn. He did come from a technologically advanced cilivization after all.
                                spoiler S3
                                Spoiler:
                                there is an ep called Sateda(sp?) where ronon's past "comes back to haunt him, and by association the rest of the team"
                                sounds interesting

Comment

Working...
                                X