This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
    I think you missed the point, they didn't choose the name "Ancients" because they were old or the first or anything like that, it was just the name of their race. The word ancient came to mean old over time as it passed down through those they influenced. Of course, if we want to get specific, their name in their own language was Anquietas.
    I agree with you there, to an extent. The Latin word for "Ancients" might have meant something different millions of years ago. Has anyone noticed that "Ancients" and "Atlanteans" are very close to each other? You could say that the language and slang evolved over so much time the Latin word has a completely different meaning now, as it did millions of years ago.
    "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

Maybe their whole name was "Ancient Atlanteans", but we lost the Atlanteans somewhere? I'm probably wrong, but think for a moment: It's six syllables = gate address?
      Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
      Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
      Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
      Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
      Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
      Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
      Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Maybe. Strange name, but possible
        __

__

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
          Maybe their whole name was "Ancient Atlanteans", but we lost the Atlanteans somewhere? I'm probably wrong, but think for a moment: It's six syllables = gate address?
          Nah, gate addresses are for planets, not people. I doubt the planet was ever called "Ancient Atlanteans".
          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I don't think that either, but it may be possible
            __

__

Comment

Just food for thought, really. It could double as the name of their homeworld, thus giving us the gate address.
              Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
              Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
              Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
              Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
              Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
              Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
              Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Rumor has it they were called Oldfogies at one point by the other Three Races, but they objected to this term.
                Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

They were called "the Ancients". Indeed, according to Thor, there were 4 great races : Nox, Ancients, Asgards, Furlings. So I think they were already called "Ancients" (the Furlings are a race which exists no more too and they are not called "Ancients")

Comment

Originally posted by Aither
                    They were called "the Ancients". Indeed, according to Thor, there were 4 great races : Nox, Ancients, Asgards, Furlings. So I think they were already called "Ancients" (the Furlings are a race which exists no more too and they are not called "Ancients")
                    The ancients still exist....just in their wierd-glowy-form...

And we don't know about the Furlings.

All we know is that one GROUP of furlings who broke off from technology died off.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                      The ancients still exist....just in their wierd-glowy-form...
                      They can't do anything in our existence plan, so it is as if they didn't exist. Moreover, the Asgards may not know the Ancients still exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Aither
                        They can't do anything in our existence plan, so it is as if they didn't exist.
                        They can. They just won't.

Moreover, the Asgards may not know the Ancients still exist.
                        They know they exist. They told Jack that they "moved on from our region of space".
                        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

The Ancients are still about just not in this part of the galaxy and we can't do much about it apart from know that they are around...somewhere
                          __

__

Comment

Maybe their original name can't be pronounced in english.

Comment

Anquiatos.

Or however you wanna spell it....We are the ancients. The fifth race...the word for ancient was probably just derived from their name...

as to them being called atlanteans, probably not. Atlantis was built towards the end of their civilization, before they flew out to pegasus.
                              sigpic

Comment

Maybe it can't be said in translation
                                __

__

Comment

Working...
                                X