Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zee PM or Zed PM, how do you pronounce it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is ZED PM! period! nuff said Just remember ZEE rhymes with PEE

LS
    Last edited by LiquidSky; 13 November 2008, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I try hard to pronounce it ZedPM, but I usually end up pronouncing it ZeePM.

I do say Sore-E sometimes as well.

Robert: So, do the Wraith feed on fear, or just life in general?
      Me: Just life in general. But they'd probably prefer that their victims be scared.
      Robert: So, it's like marinating them, then?

http://raethie.deviantart.com/

Comment

Zed.

I would punch myself in the groin if I ever called the letter z, "zee". It's akin to saying words, which I find repugnant, like: mom, sneakers, cookies, candy, soda, etc. and calling crisps chips. WTF?
        sigpic

Comment

Zero Point Module

Comment

Originally posted by Nusku View Post
            Zed.

I would punch myself in the groin if I ever called the letter z, "zee". It's akin to saying words, which I find repugnant, like: mom, sneakers, cookies, candy, soda, etc. and calling crisps chips. WTF?
            Oh and don't forget the emergence of "Spring Break" instead of Easter break/holiday and "Prom" instead of a Formal.

On a slightly related note, at work I had a client the other day who said I had a nice voice and sounded Canadian and asked me which part of Canada I was from to which I replied with, "No, I am not a Canadian, I'm very much British but thank you for the compliment".
            Last edited by JackHarkness_Hot; 16 November 2008, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Zed PM, even though I'm American.....

Comment

In Finland, we are taught British English, so Zed should come more naturally but somehow I tend to speak American English more often anyways

SEMI-OT:
                It's a shame how ignorant some DVD subtitle translators sometimes are when speaking of pronounciation and cultural differences between English speaking countries. In Rising, there is a dialog something like this:
                McKay: We need the Zed PM.
                O'Neill: What?
                Daniel: The Zee PM. He's Canadian.
                And on the DVD, the Finnish subtitles are somewhat like this:
                McKay: We need the ZPM.
                O'Neill: What?
                Daniel: The Zero Point Module ["Nollapistemoduuli" in Finnish, as a side note ]. O'Neill is Canadian.
                I just wish translators could check their facts >_> It always stands out when watching Rising. Sorry for this rant.

Comment

Zed. The ABC song doesn't rhyme as well in Australia. Sounds odd finishing with a Zed instead of a Zee, but thats the way it is.

Comment

I know this is really minor but it bugs me.

McKay is supposed to stand out for being the only one on Atlantis who pronounces it "zed P M", yet every country on Earth that uses the Roman alphabet EXCEPT the US pronounces the letter Z as "zed". So why doesn't Zelenka pronounce it "zed"? I thought I heard him pronounce it that way in one episode but usually he doesn't. I'm not sure I've ever heard Beckett say ZPM, but all of the natives in the Pegasus Galaxy also pronounce it "zee". It just doesn't make sense.

I guess a possible explanation is that since the majority of the most important characters are from the US and pronounce it "zee" everyone else except McKay just blindly pronounces it the same way.

As I said, of all the plotholes I could go after, this just gets under my skin for some reason.

Comment

i say QPM

Comment

Though in the UK we use Zed rather than Zee, i still refer to it as a ZeePM

Comment

Originally posted by JEC View Post
                          I know this is really minor but it bugs me.

McKay is supposed to stand out for being the only one on Atlantis who pronounces it "zed P M", yet every country on Earth that uses the Roman alphabet EXCEPT the US pronounces the letter Z as "zed". So why doesn't Zelenka pronounce it "zed"? I thought I heard him pronounce it that way in one episode but usually he doesn't. I'm not sure I've ever heard Beckett say ZPM, but all of the natives in the Pegasus Galaxy also pronounce it "zee". It just doesn't make sense.

I guess a possible explanation is that since the majority of the most important characters are from the US and pronounce it "zee" everyone else except McKay just blindly pronounces it the same way.

As I said, of all the plotholes I could go after, this just gets under my skin for some reason.
                          Zed

It's 'cause they're all Americans ..... Some US people say "Zed" though, fortunately enough !!!

Comment

Certainly it's a ZedPM, no question about it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Interesting, I actually didn't know that the US was the only English-speaking country that pronounced it "Zee"...though it's hardly surprising.

I pronounce it "Zee"
                              Sig by Pandora's Box
                              sigpic

Comment

Zed (in a posh Southern English accent)

Just one more thing I can relate to with Rodney (except for the posh/English thing )
                                Last edited by x Varda x; 03 August 2009, 02:52 PM.
                                McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

Working...
                                X