The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by defina91rvc
    the Heart of Gold looks absolutely nothing like it is described in the book. it is described as looking like a sleek shoe, not like a high-tec tennis ball
    I know - it caught me rather by surprise too. But then, the BBC model of the Heart of Gold looked distinctly as though it had been made from a white plastic showerhead!

Never mind. As long as they get the whole 'Southend Sea Front' bit looking better than it did in the TV version, I'll be happy.
    sigpic

Comment

I think you'll find that it indeed was a plastic showerhead. The model was made by legendary BBC effects guy Matt Irvine as I recall.

Anyway, something that's not readily apparant in the TV version, is that - not only does Zaphod have an extra head and arm, he also has an extra trouser fly...
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Oh no! It wasn't a real spaceship!

Seriously though, Matt Irvine was a god in a Sci Fi world where 'a computer' was the BBC Micro (remember those? ). All that stuff he created was largely cannibalised airfix kits and anything else he could get his mitts on, wasn't it? True genius.

An extra fly? No wonder Zaphod thought he was a real ladies' man!

Though I do recall that, when we first come across him, Zaphod had just been voted the Worst Dressed Sentient Being in the Known Universe for something like the sixth or seventh time...
        sigpic

Comment

wow, I just finished watching the trailers, and they're great! I was worried that the movie wouldn't do the books justice, and I feel a little better now. I'm still wondering if the movie will only cover books 1 and 2, not 3 and 4. I saw events from book 2, and nothing but dolphins to back up there being more than 2 books in the movie.
          JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
          VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
          MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
          LANDRY
          : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
          Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
          Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
          Mmm... Green...

Comment

The one thing that everyone complaining about "Well, it's not like that in the book..." has to realise is that Adams said something along the lines of "Each version of Hitchhikers is completely different and any similarity of plots, characters or places is purely a coincidence."

Anyway, I was listening to the radio series today... great stuff Can't wait for the movie especially with Alan Rickman as Marvin, Stephen Fry as the Book and Bill Bailey as the whale, BILL BAILEY!!! (Which is possible the greatest casting move ever in the history of the galaxy, the whale sounds just like Bill Bailey! )

Also, I really hope they use the theme song from the radio series at some stage in the movie...

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
              The one thing that everyone complaining about "Well, it's not like that in the book..." has to realise is that Adams said something along the lines of "Each version of Hitchhikers is completely different and any similarity of plots, characters or places is purely a coincidence."

Anyway, I was listening to the radio series today... great stuff Can't wait for the movie especially with Alan Rickman as Marvin, Stephen Fry as the Book and Bill Bailey as the whale, BILL BAILEY!!! (Which is possible the greatest casting move ever in the history of the galaxy, the whale sounds just like Bill Bailey! )

Also, I really hope they use the theme song from the radio series at some stage in the movie...
              As far as I'm aware, "Journey of the Sorcerer" will be used as the theme music in some form or other.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c

Yeah. If they made it exactly like the book then anyne who has read the book won't find it realy funny because they have already heard most of the jokes.

Comment

Hey look an all new, online exclusive, trailer!:
                  http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/tra...r1&size=QThuge

Best. Trailer. Ever.

Comment

Having seen the latest version of the trailer, I can confirm that Zaphod does have two heads, placed one on top of the other.
                    sigpic

Comment

it is an awsome book
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rail'k
                        it is an awsome book
                        Amen to that my friend.
                        sigpic

Comment

The official website has been updated:
                          http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/

Comment

We get to hear Marvin!! That made my day.
                            And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                            Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                            Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                            Daniel: Oh! You see?
                            Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Did some looking around, and some of the coming soon features look really cool.
                              1. Design Your Own Planet
                              2. Design Your Own Towel
                              3. Download Marvin.
                              Hee.
                              And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                              Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                              Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                              Daniel: Oh! You see?
                              Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

I saw a clip - Vogon Poetry - on TV chat show Parkinson on Saturday night (2nd April), Steven Fry being one of the guests you see.

I have only one thing to say - roll on April 29th!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X