No announcement yet.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not having seen any trailers, I'm still in two minds about the movie (in a Zaphod kind of way). Even though it has Douglas Adams' approval and he was involved right up until his (extremely untimely) death in 2001.

I think it's my problem though. I started with the TV series, then read the books. After this, I went back to the original radio series. Trust me to do it all backwards...

Being a sentimental old Unas, I've got so used to hearing the voices of the radio cast (most of them turned up in the TV series, too) that the idea of (hushed tones) other people playing these roles is perhaps inevitable, but it's still something I'm not sure about. What doesn't help is that they revived the Radio series last year and added another Phase (and will be adding another one in September this year too), so it just rekindled all the original voices - as they re-assembled the surviving cast members.

I hope it'll be good - I really do. I just worry that it'll look too slick and shiny - and it simply won't have the out and out barminess of the original versions. They pulsed with a level of bizarre silliness that verged on the insane. Plus the TV special effects were dead clunky - which (imo) raised the production from fantastic to sheer perfection.
    sigpic

Comment

well, I will go to see it. But I reserve the right to moan and whinge about it being Americanised, updated, Zaphod's 3rd arm...

I used to listen to the radio broadcasts, under the blankets, way back when I was at boarding school (and most of the others in the dormitory were listening to Radio Luxemburg) and I was more than a little grumpy when it went over to TV.

Yikes! really feeling old now.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Hooray Major Clanger - I've got someone else to feel old with.

I agree 100% that yes I'm excited about the film and praying that justice will be done to it. But I too shall undoubtably end up moaning as i do every time one of my favourite books is scripted to appeal to a wide audience.

For me it was the TV series that started me off. And I recently treated my son to the complete hardback edition of the 5 books as my paperbacks were falling to bits. He loved them too

Everyone sounds enthusiastic about the "new" Marvin, (he wouldn't approve I'm sure) but having watched the Amazon trailer he reminds me of one of those god awful robosapien things - I hope not

Comment

My main gripe would probably still be Marvin's overall look. It would have been fun if they could have brought Steven Moore back to do the voice, too. But then, at least the Paranoid Android is plastic in the film rather than metallic. Wasn't that the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation's tag for Robots with the GPP feature?

"your plastic pal who's fun to be with!!!"

I suppose I've just become a bit too habituated to the Simon Jones representation of Arthur Dent. He just is Arthur Dent for me. Same goes for Mark Wing Davey. He is Zaphod. The Worst Dressed Sentient Being in the Known Universe. Great Zarquon!
          sigpic

Comment

I'm really looking forward to seeing the film,as it'll give me and Mr FHB something else to argue about,if they don't get the details right !

We've got the books,the BBC tv version on vid,the radio version on tape,obligatory towels,and yes ,MC,I remember being allowed to listen to the original prog too,thanks to good old Mum being a fan !
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Did anyone else listen to the revival on Radio 4 last September when they dramatised 'Life, the Universe and Everything'? It even included a performance by Douglas Adams himself as Agrajag - the Mad, fat bat with the Arthur Dent fixation.

Only Adams could come up with that - a reincarnated being that always comes back as himself (in whatever form) and always, always ends up being killed by Arthur Dent!

Not to mention Arthur learning to fly and then being hit in the small of the back by a large, disreputable cocktail party...
              sigpic

Comment

I envy you FHB that you and your husband share a liking for Douglas Adams - mine prefers L Ron Hubbard (shudder)

I wish I had heard "Life The Universe and Everything", Agrajag always makes me laugh.

Comment

I read somewhere (don't remember where. Old + bad memory.) that Stephen Fry is playing The Book - what an excellent choice.

Anyone know if the Dish of the Day sequence is in the movie? It's always been one of my favourites.

"I'll just nip off an' shoot myself... Don't worry, sir, I'll be very humane."
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                  To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                  And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sha're
                    I envy you FHB that you and your husband share a liking for Douglas Adams - mine prefers L Ron Hubbard (shudder)

I wish I had heard "Life The Universe and Everything", Agrajag always makes me laugh.
                    Hmm.Not sure I'm really all that lucky in sharing my interests with Hubby...we had to "agree to disagree" years ago,over the differences between the books and the BBC tv version !
                    (We made the same no-yelling pact over Red Dwarf,Dune,all things Trek and Stargate franchise-related too !)

*Sigh*

The radio version was/is pure Gold,IMO. I'm going to have to get the CD set,next,as the tapes are suffering from old age and overplay.Apparently Radio 4 have been repeating the whole thing,recently,but I missed it.

I bookmarked the link to the movie trailer,so he can see it when he comes home.He's not going to be happy with Marvin,for a start !

Originally posted by BruTak
                    I read somewhere (don't remember where. Old + bad memory.) that Stephen Fry is playing The Book - what an excellent choice.
                    I hope that's true ! He'd be my first choice too .
                    Originally posted by Brutak
                    Anyone know if the Dish of the Day sequence is in the movie? It's always been one of my favourites.

"I'll just nip off an' shoot myself... Don't worry, sir, I'll be very humane."
                    One of my faves too. My kids keep rewinding the vid back to see that scene,and it'll be a disappointment,if it isn't in the film.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 22 February 2005, 05:43 AM.
                    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Forbidden Planet Mail Order (www.scifiwarehouse.com) has the fist wave of Hitchhiker's Guide movie action figures, and (somewhat bizzarely) a range of knitted plush toys.

Perfect for those who've always wanted a cuddly Marvin...
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

[lugubrious] Brain the size of a planet, and they make cuddly versions of me in Kapok. They probably aren't at all accurate. Do these toys have pain down their left sides? No. Thought not. It's just me. [/lugubrious]

Madeleine

Comment

How long do you reckon one of these toys would last if you fired it into the Sun over Kakrafoon in a Disaster Area stunt ship two million years ago?

Not long enough to go and start having conversations with Mattresses. I bet.
                          sigpic

Comment

My main problem with marvin is his overall size, his body looks too thick, too like someone in a suit, I always pictured his body being more pathetic.

Comment

I never had a clear picture of marvin, so I think he looks cute. And a depressed robot looking cute just makes it funnier. Either way, hearing Alan Rickman voice Marvin will be great.
                              And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                              Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                              Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                              Daniel: Oh! You see?
                              Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
                                I never had a clear picture of marvin, so I think he looks cute. And a depressed robot looking cute just makes it funnier. Either way, hearing Alan Rickman voice Marvin will be great.
                                He does look cute. I just want to pick him up and hug him to death.
                                And the casting of Alan Rickman as his voice is perfect. Unbelievably so.
                                !!! HHGTTG movie out this May! Don't forget to bring your towel! !!!

[ | Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club | ]

Smor: My Anti-Drug

Ba'am: You can bet your ba'als on it.

(thanks to Justin for the pic and no, I'm not serious )

Comment

Working...
                                X