Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely liked it.

damn that queen was hard to kill.

Also, that final part with the probes defending the queen? That gave me an Ender's Game feeling.

Overall, i think Emmerich wanted to show that he owned the Alien Invasion genre and one-upped every invasion movie.

Comment

I thought it was pretty good. I like the whole style of the film, pretty much action packed from beginning to end. Love seeing the alien landscape inside the mother ship. There were a few jokes. an that guy from Africa was awesome.

There was a few things I didn't like, and there more than a few plot holes and conveniences, for both sides.

My biggest bug bear was probably the fact they built everything back to how it look before, it just seem unreal that they could rebuild all of that in 20 years, it would have been better to see most people still living in refugee camps, that so much resources been put into preparing earth for the next attack that most people have been forgotten.

And there was no statue of that crazy old Casse that flew into the alien vessel or his family.

I didn't like the ship flying around the queen thing, to computer gamey for my liking, and a conventional fire fight around the alien would been better. Wish we got a proper ground battle as well instead of just a few indoor scenes.

What annoyed me about Okun was him just waking up and taking over area 51, he been in a coma for 20 years, these guys and girls have built human/space hybrids space fighters and tugs, planetary wide defence grids, colonies on the moon and the moons around Saturn and throughout the solar system, his knowledge should have been hopelessly out of date, no matter how intelligence he is.

It would have been more interesting if he had absorb the Apple alien sphere language from the locusts aliens and acted has translator between us and Sphere alien that would have serve a more realistic role.

The film really needed another half an hour to allow all the stories to breath a little.

Here's hoping we get a awesome war movie in the next one. Where we take the fight to the alien scum. I presume the plot will be that this is just a alien locust swarm passing through our galaxy, heading to destinations unknown. Or may be their some other rationale behind the aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        My biggest bug bear was probably the fact they built everything back to how it look before, it just seem unreal that they could rebuild all of that in 20 years, it would have been better to see most people still living in refugee camps, that so much resources been put into preparing earth for the next attack that most people have been forgotten.
        True with just how many cities the world over got levelled, there would be no way they could have rebuilt them ALL in that 20 years, AND had the time to build up all the fleet that they did..
        But that's one thing most every disaster flic ignores.. How long it WILL take to recover.

Comment

How long did it take Europe to rebuild after WWII? That should give us an idea of how long it would take.
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

But it had the talking pokeball of hope.........

I liked the designs for the queen. She was pretty badass. But she was inside an exosuit much like the other aliens so we only really saw here once she had been killed. But she was pretty neat and badass.
            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
              How long did it take Europe to rebuild after WWII? That should give us an idea of how long it would take.
              There was a lot more cities imo destroyed in ID4 (all capitals, and many other very large ones) to really make a comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                True with just how many cities the world over got levelled, there would be no way they could have rebuilt them ALL in that 20 years, AND had the time to build up all the fleet that they did..
                But that's one thing most every disaster flic ignores.. How long it WILL take to recover.
                Well it all becomes a lot easier when you have access to stuff like Antigravity, plasma weapons etc.

Plus, the unification of the world would also help a lot.

it's still a stretch, but it's clearly no longer the reguar world either.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  There was a lot more cities imo destroyed in ID4 (all capitals, and many other very large ones) to really make a comparison.

It sets a baseline. If you really wanted to find out you'd take the rate of reconstruction. Determine how the logistics worked and start doing the math for there being no Marshall plan. Take the amount of resources used to rebuild say...London or Nagasaki and calculate how much each city around the world would need (Actually Nagasaki and Hiroshima would be excellent baseline measures...Dresden and London too). In short a lots of math and logistics involved in figuring out. Though I'd doubt anyone has the time or the resolve for that.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Or can locate actual figures..
                    But point made.

Comment

I believe they were still rebuilding parts of London into the 70s.

http://www.history.co.uk/study-topic...uilding-london

Comment

I was surprised by how poor it was. So many unnecessary characters and plot lines shoehorned in there meant there was no time to build any suspense or make you care about anyone. Even the action was relatively poorly done. I don't think this product is going calm MGM's nerves about a Stargate reboot or even ID sequels.

Comment

I thought it was OK but do agree too many plot threads jammed into less than 2 hours.

Comment

What still bugs me was that they were 2 minutes from Victory with the drill hitting Earth's core, and then when the Queen dies they all just scoot and run for the stars......
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Perhaps when she died, the drill stopped working??

Comment

What also bothers me is...shouldn't the ship have been sucked in by the mother of all whirlpools?
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X