No announcement yet.

12 Monkeys coming on SYFY (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After watching the first two episodes, I have to say that I like where the storyline is going. My only peeve is the use of obscene language.
    Total syffy posts: 36,690
    (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
    Matthew 5:9

Comment

Does anyone else see this?
      Spoiler:
      I'm pretty sure that Jones, the woman who seems to lead the scientists and operates the time machine in 2043 is actually a future version of Cassandra. The eyeglasses, which have a coating of some sort that shows odd effects on camera, are a dead giveaway.

Comment

Ok, this is too weird.

Watched the 1995 film version of 12 Monkeys tonight.
        Despite the film being made 10+ years prior to the current incarnation of Doctor Who, there were definitely 2, possibly 3 scenes which were so reminiscent of DW scenes I thought they were tongue-in-cheek nods to DW until I remembered this was 10+ years too early for that.

The first scene is the one I'm not so sure about; it was a statue highly like the Weeping Angels.

The second reference is an image of Jones in a mirror that instantly reminded me of Lady Cassandra O'Brien, again from the DW franchise.

Finally, they had a golden angel very similar to the Hosts in "Voyage of the Damned".

I wonder if the creative team at Doctor Who are fans of this movie?

Comment

The first two episodes were pretty good. I didn't notice Jane Way was in this until half way through the second episode. She looks completely different from the last time I seen her in Walking Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            Spoiler:
            I'm pretty sure that Jones, the woman who seems to lead the scientists and operates the time machine in 2043 is actually a future version of Cassandra. The eyeglasses, which have a coating of some sort that shows odd effects on camera, are a dead giveaway.
            I thought this too, especially when she got so annoyed about him going off mission and involving Cassandra (either that or she is her daughter).

The film's main plot is quiet different (film spoilers ahead):
            Spoiler:
            The main plot in the film is Cole has a recurring nightmare of seeing a man be killed as an airport from his childhood, at the end of the film you learn the man he saw being shot was his older time travelling self trying to stop Brad Pitt's character from releasing the plague, an idea he himself gave Pitt's character when he made his first trip back and ended up in a mental institution with him. The entire film is a causality paradox, or a self fulfilling prophecy, whatever you want to call it, his mission is to observe only and not interact. The Army of the 12 Monkeys was an animal rights group who wanted to release the zoo animals, it didn't have much to do with the plague which was Pitt's characters idea alone (given to him by Cole lol).

In the film there was no mission to kill anybody at the beginning, and Cole wasn't looking for anybody in particular until the very end, he also encounters fellow travellers sent back to correct him after he dug out a tracking chip embedded in his tooth to stop them bringing him back to the future, which may explain the guy from Fringe in the future.

This is like BSG, in that it doesn't bear much relation to the original story which is pretty good since you don't automatically know what's going to happen. I just hope thy remember all these "Cole's future, others past" seeds they've mentioned and show them.

Spoiler:
            I think I remember them saying something about needing the pure original virus to develop a cure.
            That's the premise of the film, in this they just want to kill whoever is behind it thinking that will stop them releasing it (thus having no need to create a cure), because they can't create a cure due to it's mutation (well they haven't said anything about wanting the pure virus in this just yet). The reason for Cole's selection is also different in the film, he's chosen because he has a photographic memory.
            Last edited by Ian-S; 18 January 2015, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Spoiler:
              hmmm interesting thought
              Spoiler:
              Well it could be let's see Cassandra was born in 1980 so in 2015 she would be 35 and in 2043 she would be 63 and Jones looks to be about that age. I guess I never thought of the glasses will have to look much more closely next ep. Only thing is don't you think Cole would recognize her in some way? (or maybe not if her appearance changed that much) . That would mean she wasn't dead as they thought.

Comment

I only hope that The Army of 12 Monkeys will not turn out to be one more corporation or goverment conspiracy.
                Otherwise a good beginning.Definitely the best thing syfy did the last almost 4 years. We'll see how it will go.
                Last edited by pakar; 18 January 2015, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pakar View Post
                  I only hope that The Army of 12 Monkeys will not turn out to be one more corporation or goverment conspiracy.
                  Otherwise a good beginning.Definitely the best thing syfy did the last almost 4 years. We'll see how it will go.
                  I dunno about that "best thing" bit.. Even if this goes well, it is going to have to go a long way to equal "Haven" or "Continuum", if you accept the fact that they aired it in the US as being something they did.

But it does look to be a vast improvement over their other recent fare.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                    The film's main plot is quiet different (film spoilers ahead):
                    Spoiler:
                    The main plot in the film is Cole has a recurring nightmare of seeing a man be killed as an airport from his childhood, at the end of the film you learn the man he saw being shot was his older time travelling self trying to stop Brad Pitt's character from releasing the plague, an idea he himself gave Pitt's character when he made his first trip back and ended up in a mental institution with him. The entire film is a causality paradox, or a self fulfilling prophecy, whatever you want to call it, his mission is to observe only and not interact. The Army of the 12 Monkeys was an animal rights group who wanted to release the zoo animals, it didn't have much to do with the plague which was Pitt's characters idea alone (given to him by Cole lol).
                    Spoiler:
                    You described Pitt's character wrong. He's not the one who released the virus and never had the intention of doing so.

Spoiler:
                    Spoiler:
                    I don't think so. Jones' accent is quite different, since the actress is German. Cole found Cassandra's body in 2043, or at least a body that was wearing the same watch that Cassandra had in 2014.

Comment

Since I'm new here I felt it best to ask. Is it really necessary to continue to use spoiler tags for a show that has already aired? If someone hasn't seen it they shouldn't be reading this thread anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post

Spoiler:
                        I don't think so. Jones' accent is quite different, since the actress is German. Cole found Cassandra's body in 2043, or at least a body that was wearing the same watch that Cassandra had in 2014.
                        Correct. Unless of course it's another paradox!

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
                          Since I'm new here I felt it best to ask. Is it really necessary to continue to use spoiler tags for a show that has already aired? If someone hasn't seen it they shouldn't be reading this thread anyway.
                          If I read this right, you have to spoiler any details about a current season. This specifies SciFi channel, but I would think it would apply everywhere.

From: http://forum.gateworld.net/faq.php?f...q_spoilerspace

When should I use spoiler warnings, and why?
                          Since our members are all watching different episodes on different stations in different parts of the world (from the U.S. to the United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and more), we want to make sure that our fellow fans aren't spoiled about upcoming episode plot or character developments (unless they really want to be!). The goal is to give those who don't want to spoiled the chance to skip a post or thread without reading it.

The rule of thumb is this: If your post has spoilers it must include a spoiler warning, unless the thread (and thread title) already started with a warning for that episode.

We ask that you include a warning (including the specific episode title and season number) and use the [spoiler] tag to hide the relevant portions of text. Include
                          Spoiler:
                          , in square brackets, before your spoiler text starts, and
                          after it ends, like this:

Spoiler:
                          I can't believe Jack dies in this episode!

This forces the reader to click a "Spoiler" button in order to read the enclosed text. Alternately, you may insert at least 10 lines of spoiler space after the warning, to force readers to scroll down to find the spoiler. But the [spoiler] tag method is strongly preferred.

Spoiler warnings are required for all episodes in the seasons airing in first-run on SCI FI Channel in the U.S., and in production. (Visit GateWorld's SG-1 and Atlantis episode guides if you aren't sure which season the episode is in.)

Comment

I have another problem.I can't find the spoiler button!where is it? (i'm serious)
                            Last edited by pakar; 18 January 2015, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pakar View Post
                              I have another problem.I can't find the spoiler button!where is it? (i'm serious)
                              I didn't spot a button either, but all you have to do is type [ spoiler ] whatever you want to hide [ / spoiler ] only without all the spaces in between the characters.

Comment

Would there be interest in our giving 12 Monkeys its own folder and episode threads? (Then there would be no need for spoiler tagging.)

Comment

Working...
                                X