Atlantis (BBC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
    It's a fun fantasy show? I could use one of those again.
    It is. It's quite light and fun. It doesn't take itself too seriously. The main characters are likeable and there is a bit of a mystery surrounding Jason. It looks good and it's acted well. It's good family entertainment I think.

Comment

A different sort of fun than Hercules, yes? I though Jason time traveled because destiny? Anyway, I'll have something to watch later this fall (besides Doctor Who.)
      sigpic
      Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
        A different sort of fun than Hercules, yes? I though Jason time traveled because destiny? Anyway, I'll have something to watch later this fall (besides Doctor Who.)
        According to oracle it more interdimensional travels. Through Jason himself thinks it time travel but he doesn't seem like the brightest kid on the block.

It was good when it was dark and series, in enjoyed the oracle bit, the cutting the chicken head off, and it was a delight to see blood on a sword (given all the battles in Merlin we never once saw that) , if it cut down on the comedy, takes itself seriously it could survive, hopefully it will have some original stories rather than just repeat the legions of Greece which I seen done a thousand times before.

I enjoy the CGI, some of the aunty has put on TV.

Comment

Actually the chicken's head part was the one bit I really didn't like. I would have got rid of that part if it was up to me. Slaughtering chickens is one way put kiddies off it IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
            Actually the chicken's head part was the one bit I really didn't like. I would have got rid of that part if it was up to me. Slaughtering chickens is one way put kiddies off it IMO.
            I don't care if kiddies like it or not.
            I care more about it being a good show.
            If that means putting a few kids of it so be it.

Comment

One important question about it being Greek... are there Minoans? 'Cause there really should be.
              sigpic
              Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                I don't care if kiddies like it or not.
                I care more about it being a good show.
                If that means putting a few kids of it so be it.
                Then you won't get good viewing figures against The X-Factor.

Because that is basically what the BBC want... something entertaining to put against The X-Factor.

And you can have a good show without blood and gore.
                Last edited by Blencathra; 30 September 2013, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                  Then you won't get good viewing figures against The X-Factor.

Because that is basically what the BBC want... something entertaining to put against The X-Factor.

And you can have a good show without blood and gore.

If BBC really want to beat X-factor they would deploy Strictly come dancing against it and probably annihilate it in the ratings battles, strictly come dance have become more popular X factor over the years, and give they both been on the air roughly the same time SCD feels substantially less stale XF, of cause ITV would just change the time slot its airs to avoid such a battle through, which is a shame. Plus giving ITV a bashing in the ratings department have become politically incorrect over the last few years.

The BBC rush Atlantis replacement as a way as a way to replace Merlin international revenue streams, not to compete against X Factor. In fact it was so rush, they are still filming episodes whiles it air, which is unusual for the BBC nowadays.

Yes you can have a good show without blood and gore, but it just feels inherently wrong to have a sword fight with no blood in it, like we did in Merlin, an the BBC knows that a lot of parents allow their kids to watch game of thrones, which have change what the audience expects from a fantasy series. .

An the producers and writers of the show have stated that they wanted it to be darker than Merlin, which also accounts for it later airing slot, 8:25 to 9:10. They have made it clear that they presented the show to the BBC as being a darker series.

Comment

Well put, Knowles2. As for Atlantis itself, pretty good opener. I was impressed with their use of humor within the plot. Just the right amount to show that they weren't taking themselves too seriously. Great take on Hercules.

It will take a few episodes to see which direction they decide to go. Personally, I think Jason's quick acclimation to a new and different realm was a bit hard to swallow, but perhaps they will back up on that aspect a little. If nothing else, it will be a fun show to watch, it's longevity is still way up in the air. I see where the Merlin comparisons are coming from, but hope Atlantis moves past them on its own right before the first series concludes. Anxious for this weeks installment!

Comment

http://cultfix.co.uk/atlantis-102-a-...lery-23923.htm
                      This weeks episode gallery.

Comment

I am gonna wait to see if it gets a second series before checking it out, but i do have it on series record. Mainly because I am really weird about starting shows and then having them cancelled so early on. At least with a second series given, i know i won't be wasting my time on a show to perhaps not have further adventures or even a non-cliffhanger ending.
                        Currently Watching: Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis
                        Planning to watch: Dark Angel, Star Trek Enterprise and many more

Comment

Originally posted by myowndrownedworld View Post
                          I am gonna wait to see if it gets a second series before checking it out, but i do have it on series record. Mainly because I am really weird about starting shows and then having them cancelled so early on. At least with a second series given, i know i won't be wasting my time on a show to perhaps not have further adventures or even a non-cliffhanger ending.
                          I seriously doubt the BBC would have gone through the trouble of building a new studio if the show only going to be commission one series.

Plus the ratings broadly matches that of Merlin. On top of that it has already been bought by several broadcasters overseas.
                          Last edited by knowles2; 02 October 2013, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            I seriously doubt the BBC would have gone through the trouble of building a new studio if the show only going to be commission one series.

Plus the ratings broadly matches that of Merlin. On top of that it has already been bought by several broadcasters overseas.
                            Well you can never really determine how well a show will do, regardless of how much effort the network/channel have gone to to spend money on it

Hopefully it proves to be a smash for BBC as i feel the UK are in need of more sci-fi/fantasy shows.
                            Currently Watching: Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis
                            Planning to watch: Dark Angel, Star Trek Enterprise and many more

Comment

^^ Yup, remember Outcasts

10 years in the planning (iirc), the most expensive scripted drama at the time and they cancelled it on a cliffhanger because Newsnight drew in more viewers. the BBC do not employ any semblance of common sense in their decision making processes now, they just lurch from one disaster to another most of the time. I wouldn't be surprised if this was cancelled after a couple of series.

Comment

http://cultfix.co.uk/atlantis-102-a-...sers-23956.htm
                                Episode 2 teasers.

Comment

Working...
                                X