No announcement yet.

Atlantis (BBC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the more popular ideas was that Atlantis was on the island Thera. So maybe they thought the audience would think it was Greek? Why use Heracles anyway? Ariadne was from Crete, I think. Perhaps why they chose so many Greek characters will explain itself in the show.
    sigpic
    Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
      One of the more popular ideas was that Atlantis was on the island Thera. So maybe they thought the audience would think it was Greek?
      Most people identify Atlantis as related to Greek. Thera really grew from greeks scholars and modern archeologiest because it the most acceptable idea to them, no sunken continents needed, no crossing of the Atlantic or cities outside Greek or off the classical charts from that period. I never heard it explain why Plato wouldn't have called them by their proper names or why he describes Atlantis has beyond the Pillars of Hercules, which is nowhere near crete or Thera.

Why use Heracles anyway?
      It a character the audience can identify with, unless you are a complete idiot, most people even kids have a rough idea who heracles is . It a cheap way to avoid long explanation of who the characters are, it also saves the writers a tonne of effort creating new characters from scratch. They did the same in Merlin and Robin hood.

Ariadne was from Crete, I think. Perhaps why they chose so many Greek characters will explain itself in the show.
      I hope so, maybe this series is set after the Atlantis Greek war, Which I believe plato said the greeks won and force them back to Atlantis and it some kind of occupation of Atlantis by the Greeks before it sinks.

Comment

They could create new characters, as there are not any associated with the Atlantis myth. At least some Minoans, especially if it's set near Crete. Kevin Sorbo is still Hercules to me, so it'll take a while for me to get used to king Baratheon in the role.
        sigpic

Comment

Is this a modern take on the Lost City of Atlantis or will it take place a couple thousand (or more) years ago?
          sigpic

Comment

Another blink and you will miss it teaser...

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
              Is this a modern take on the Lost City of Atlantis or will it take place a couple thousand (or more) years ago?
              It set a couple of thousands of years ago.

Comment

http://cultfix.co.uk/atlantis-more-t...lers-23644.htm
                Four more teaser trailers, when will we get a full trailer??

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                  http://cultfix.co.uk/atlantis-more-t...lers-23644.htm
                  Four more teaser trailers, when will we get a full trailer??
                  When the appropriate amount of sacrifices to the gods have been made, apparently.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm starting to have my doubts about this one. I'm seeing less Atlantis lore and more sword and sandal silliness. I don't want Game of Thrones or Sinbad, but I'm not sure this one will be in the middle.
                    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

We finally have a trailer!

Think Ill wait to judge till I've seen the first episode as you cant really pick much up from the trailer...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                        We finally have a trailer!

Think Ill wait to judge till I've seen the first episode as you cant really pick much up from the trailer...

From the trailer, it doesn't look too bad. Hard to believe that the big guy played Robert Baratheon in GoT though.
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh, well... that's more what I was hoping for.

Is the king... Dr. Bashir? (Thought it was James Callis at first)
                          sigpic

Comment

It looks like it's going to be an interesting series to watch.
                            As judging by the trailer there are a lot of 'genre' actors in the series.
                            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                            To thy own self... Be true
                            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

http://cultfix.co.uk/atlantis-traile...down-23725.htm
                              Trailer breakdown

Comment

It seem more Greece: Let run through each of the legends episode by episode.

Seems there very little originality in there and even less of Atlantis myths. One got wonder if the writer even read Plato story about the place, because nothing in the Trailer apart from the text Atlantis hints at Atlantis.
                                Last edited by knowles2; 14 September 2013, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X