The Hobbit : Discussion/News/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....Tolkien is brilliant literature.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
      I just finished reading the Hobbit; and it's not bad, but not great either. The problem with this book and in all likelyhood the other LOTR books is that Tolkien doesn't appear to devote much time to character development. There is a ton of narration in "The Hobbit," but actual dialogue is kept to a minimum and is only used to move the plot along. Bilbo saying he's tired, hungry and scared a dozen times really doesn't do much to build a character up. The ending was the only thing that saved the book, as cliche as it was. I can only hope Peter Jackson can fix these Tolkien books like he fixed LOTRs. I'm still not sure how he's going to do this with Del Toro sitting in his director's chair.

Btw, how come the "one ring" didn't turn Bilbo crazy like it did Frodo in the film? It had absolutely no effect on him.
      Tolkien's character development has always been a matter of “less is more,” to put it simply. Bilbo and the dwarves may not say much, but their actions speak ten times louder. And it speaks very loudly to Bilbo's character that he complains so much. He's a hobbit. Hobbits do not have adventures. They rarely leave The Shire, and those who do are forever looked down upon. He's very much used to the luxuries in his little hobbit hole, and the drastic change of his adventure has him wishing repeatedly for that comfort.

The ring doesn't effect Bilbo for two main reasons. Hobbits are naturally resistant to Sauron's control. That's why Frodo was able to carry the ring and why Pippin was able to withstand Sauron's presence while under the influence of the palantir. The second reason is that Sauron was still unaware of the location of the ring when Bilbo found it. It was only after Sauron knew its location that he was able to more strongly control it. Even so, after having the ring for so many years, it eventually did begin to effect Bilbo. He may have intended to give it to Frodo, but in the end he was still reluctant to give it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
        The ending was the only thing that saved the book, as cliche as it was. I can only hope Peter Jackson can fix these Tolkien books like he fixed LOTRs.
        Tolkien's ending wasn't cliche...it CREATED what is NOW cliche. Seriously. The man not only prettymuch invented the genre of fantasy as we know it, but invented at least a half dozen WHOLE LANGUAGES just for his novels.

Peter Jackson did not "Fix" the novels. He had no choice but to leave them almost completely intact or face the wrath of Christopher Tolkien. I am actually surprised that he allowed shelob to not talk.

Btw, how come the "one ring" didn't turn Bilbo crazy like it did Frodo in the film? It had absolutely no effect on him
        This was for multiple reasons-
        1- Sauron was continuously growing in power, getting stronger and calling to the ring more and more loudly.
        2- Halflings (hobbits) are resistant to influence as FIC12 stated.
        3- Sauron gained possession of 2-3 of the lost Dwarven Rings during the interval between " The Hobbit" and " The fellowship of the ring", giving him even more obscene powers.
        4- Sauron's forces found Gollum and forced the location of the ring from him, as sauron could feel that his mind had been touched by the ring. This is also partly one reason why it was good for Bilbo to travel to rivendell, as it would make sauron think the elves had the ring bearer, giving Frodo a better chance to get away.

Comment

The Hobbit - Filming Delayed Until Summer 2010

From Peter Jackson:

We’re currently working on the second script which we hope to have completed by the end of this year or beginning of next. When the scripts are completed, we can begin with the exact calculation of the necessary budget. We hope to start filming in the middle of next year. However, we’ve received no green light from the studio yet.

http://www.movies.spoilertv.com/2009...id-summer.html

Comment

So... do we have a Bilbo yet?
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

We do not....at least, we don't know who/if they've cast.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                We do not....at least, we don't know who/if they've cast.
                I'm afraid on who they are going to choose...

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                  I'm afraid on who they are going to choose...
                  I am hoping it is david tennant TBH. I would much rather see an accomplished actor than the snot nosed harry potter brat.

Comment

Honestly, as long as they pick someone who can pull it off, past acting gigs won't really bother me.

I remember when they first cast Heath Ledger as the Joker for Dark Knight, I was absolutely mortified. And it turned out he completely redefined the role.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                      I am hoping it is david tennant TBH. I would much rather see an accomplished actor than the snot nosed harry potter brat.
                      David Tennant + Bilbo=the greatest thing in several years!

And, Digi, that is very true with Heath Ledger, I laughed at first when I heard who was playing The Joker. But boy did I learn to never doubt anyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                        David Tennant + Bilbo=the greatest thing in several years!
                        I guess Star Trek TNG spoiled me as a kid, but when I see a true Shakespearean actor available for a role, I always want that actor in that role over your standard Hollywood "nobody turned somebody".

Comment

'The Hobbit' delayed by one year?

The release of Peter Jackson's forthcoming two-part production of The Hobbit has reportedly been pushed back by one year.

The Wrap broke the news earlier this week, citing executives close to the project as being responsible for the delay.

Warner Bros. is now expected to release part one of the film at the end of 2012 and the concluding instalment at the end of 2013. No official release dates have been confirmed as yet.

The budget will now apparently come in at between $200m to $300m (£120m to £180m).

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...-one-year.html

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                            'The Hobbit' delayed by one year?

The release of Peter Jackson's forthcoming two-part production of The Hobbit has reportedly been pushed back by one year.

The Wrap broke the news earlier this week, citing executives close to the project as being responsible for the delay.

Warner Bros. is now expected to release part one of the film at the end of 2012 and the concluding instalment at the end of 2013. No official release dates have been confirmed as yet.

The budget will now apparently come in at between $200m to $300m (£120m to £180m).

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...-one-year.html

Comment

Oh well....as long as that ensures solid quality, I can wait

I can't wait to see what they do with Smaug and the Battle of Five Armies.

Comment

2013!!! WTF.

Well, at least it'll be ready before the olympics
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X