Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earth world capitol - Where would you put it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the moon.

No one would suspect it.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

How about the name? Named after someone? Use the existing name of a place or a new one? Which language would the name be in?
      sigpic

Comment

I like the idea that it would move around on a floating island, that's probably the best way to satisfy as many people as possible, though landlocked nations wouldn't be too happy and it might be quite difficult to defend it.

I think the idea of having it in multiple locations is a bad plan. Part of the point of having a capitol is so that in an emergency all the important people are in one location. What if the problem involves the internet going down or EMPs knocking out the computers. Far better to have everyone in one place.

If we're going for a static one, my votes for Brussels. It already being the capital of the EU which IMHO is what an eventual world government would end up being based on.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
          How about the name? Named after someone? Use the existing name of a place or a new one? Which language would the name be in?
          I would name it in English, since it one of the most spoken languages. (I know that Chinese also scores high, but it has to be pronounceable.) As for the name, I would name it Avalon.
          sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
            I would name it in English, since it one of the most spoken languages. (I know that Chinese also scores high, but it has to be pronounceable.) As for the name, I would name it Avalon.
            I like the name Avalon.
            But it might not sit with some.
            How about naming it Capitol?

ttyl
            Starfist
            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
            To thy own self... Be true
            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Rome, and make it so that all roads lead to it (Thats a lot of bridges )
              Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
              ---
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                I think you run into the same problem ESA brought up about having a capital in the US. They aren't all well liked by the international community
                Gunboat diplomacy! That worked in the past.

Personally though and vote for the left field choice, and vote for Hull. A bit of good northern common sense would do the world good, and no mistake.

Comment

Seeing as I am a completely unbiased and pragmatic individual, I would have to say Nottingham.

Comment

Originally posted by Purgatory View Post
                    Seeing as I am a completely unbiased and pragmatic individual, I would have to say Nottingham.
                    but I hear the woods there are infested with insurgents assailing our brave law enforcement officers
                    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
                      In the speculative scenario of a unified of semi-unified world government, I'm curious where sci-fi enthusiasts would realistically put a world capitol? An existing city? A new one? Border territory? Inside an existing nation? What geological and geographic aspects would be taken into account?

So where and why?
                      I pray that I will never see a one-world government in my life time nor the next generation's. Government isn't the answer, it is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Purgatory View Post
                        I too would vote for Nottingham, perhaps as my second choice. And it has nothing to do with the fact I'm sitting in Nottingham as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                          I too would vote for Nottingham, perhaps as my second choice. And it has nothing to do with the fact I'm sitting in Nottingham as we speak.
                          Right. By the way, I propose my hometown Kramfors as the capital. This is how I would describe this fair city: It's a place where souls go to die a long and painful death. I hate it, it's like Disneyworld. Sounds a lot like politics, doesn't it?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                            Right. By the way, I propose my hometown Kramfors as the capital. This is how I would describe this fair city: It's a place where souls go to die a long and painful death. I hate it, it's like Disneyworld. Sounds a lot like politics, doesn't it?
                            I think we should put the world capital in Helsinki in Finland.. Apart from the fact it's a nice city, it would piss off you Swedes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                              I think we should put the world capital in Helsinki in Finland.. Apart from the fact it's a nice city, it would piss off you Swedes.
                              Nah, we like the Finns. They're our most trusted friend, and pretty much the majority of Swedes sort of looks at the Finns as our brothers. Y'know, there was actually a reason for the whole "Finland's cause is our cause" during the winter war. But I prefer Stockholm to Helsinki anyway. It's also a very beatiful city. If you really want to piss us off, put the capital in Norway. It would be like putting the capital in France. I don't think you'd be particularly happy about the capital going to the bloody french!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                                Nah, we like the Finns. They're our most trusted friend, and pretty much the majority of Swedes sort of looks at the Finns as our brothers. Y'know, there was actually a reason for the whole "Finland's cause is our cause" during the winter war. But I prefer Stockholm to Helsinki anyway. It's also a very beatiful city. If you really want to piss us off, put the capital in Norway. It would be like putting the capital in France. I don't think you'd be particularly happy about the capital going to the bloody french!
                                Well you’d be surprised. I’m a pretty serious Francophile (though proud Englishman as well, I revere Nelson and Wellington) and love France. Especially the food, and the wine, and the women.

Besides if it was given to France it wouldn’t last. Within a few days everyone would have got sick of stepping in dog crap all the time, the drains would have blocked and flooded the place and the entire workforce would have gone on strike demanding a 5 hour lunch break and retirement with full pensions aged 35.

Comment

Working...
                                X