Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earth world capitol - Where would you put it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London.

A lot of things are already control from London, an well the United Kingdom came closer than anyone else to world domination. So London should be the capital of a world unifying Government. Plus English is the international Language.
    Banking an World trade systems are still run from London . An the city is fairly safe from all Natural disasters, making it a fairly safe location. Tokyo could be hit by 9.5 earth quake at any time.
    We are a open society willing to accept anyone into it.

We are also a very active member on international scene, working with almost every country in the world with a embassy in nearly every country, which is essential for running a world wide government.
    Last edited by knowles2; 23 October 2010, 05:59 AM.

Comment

iceland

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        London.

A lot of things are already control from London, an well the United Kingdom came closer than anyone else to world domination. So London should be the capital of a world unifying Government. Plus English is the international Language.
        Banking an World trade systems are still run from London . An the city is fairly safe from all Natural disasters, making it a fairly safe location. Tokyo could be hit by 9.5 earth quake at any time.
        We are a open society willing to accept anyone into it.

We are also a very active member on international scene, working with almost every country in the world with a embassy in nearly every country, which is essential for running a world wide government.
        I think you run into the same problem ESA brought up about having a capital in the US. They aren't all well liked by the international community
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Probably multiple places given the internet and new technologies it wouldn't all need to be in the same place. Probably major centers in New York, Somewhere in Europe, lots of good cities to choose from there, Tokyo.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          I think you run into the same problem ESA brought up about having a capital in the US. They aren't all well liked by the international community
          Also given how much the a large part of US population hates the UN, it wouldn't work out.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
            An (currently) unpopulated island in the pacific.
            First you'd have to find an unpopulated island that's big enough for the capital, has a ground which is stable enough to build on, and isn't in the risk zone of being flooded due to rising sea levels.
            Last edited by EvilSpaceAlien; 24 October 2010, 01:07 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Paris.

Star Trek did it
              That's just where the President is. All the cool stuff happens in San Francisco.

I'd put it in Ireland. You have Europe on one side, the US on the other. But then, I think China will get it because it will be cheaper to build and they'd probably cry and hike up prices in protest.

sigpic

Comment

wherever you put it, i'd pick an 'unaffiliated' island, and one that can hold hte infrastructure that such a city would need

I mean, Easter Island, for example, can't handle the crowds of tourists that come to see the Moai. there are literally more people visiting the island than the island has resources to support.

so it's gotta be a temperate island, seismically stable, with water and high enough to withstand rising seas and out of any major storm paths (the Caribbean would be a bad place for example)

Hence the floating city/giant ship.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                  First you'd have to find an unpopulated island that's big enough for the capital, has a ground which is stable enough to build on, and isn't in the risk zone of being flooded due to rising sea levels.
                  Not if you build the whole thing on the sea floor. The only part that actually has to be on the island itself is the airport. The rest could be a huge water tight structure on the sea floor.
                  sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Paris.

Star Trek did it
                    The office of the President of the United Federation of Planets is located there. I don't recall a mention of where the capital of the United Earth was.
                    Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                    That's just where the President is. All the cool stuff happens in San Francisco.
                    Well all of the Starfleet stuff anyway, that's where the headquarters is.

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                    But it would have to be someplace rather neutral, so probably Switzerland or Antarctica. It would be pretty cool to have it on antarctica.
                    Not to mention cold.

Comment

a sort of city ship would be very cool and also pretty fair and efficient... it would float around on a set course for harbours around the world yet could deviate to move towards noteworthy events popping up kinda like the old kings of the frankish empire who didn't have a fixed capital but rather ruled by travelling around.
                      I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                        iceland
                        To cold.

Comment

ah, but it has nearly limitless geothermal energy

that said, that same geo thermal energy puts it in a seismic danger zone
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I see the idea of an island (artificial or existing), mobile capitol, or someplace else out of existing national boundaries seems to be very popular. With existing technology, it seems like those ideas might be too much a a hassle for general accessability to the public, representatives, and bureaucrats.

My first thought goes to the Great Lakes region of North America; i.e. Detroit/Windsor, Toronto/Niagara, Chicago, Sault St Marie. My personal choice in the area, though would be the Straits of Mackinac, where Lakes Michigan and Huron meet. Abundant fresh water, right in the vicinity of the US/Canada border, beautiful scenery, an area currently in the need of some economic invigoration, and not overwhelmed with existing development.

Just my take though.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaeis View Post
                              I see the idea of an island (artificial or existing), mobile capitol, or someplace else out of existing national boundaries seems to be very popular. With existing technology, it seems like those ideas might be too much a a hassle for general accessability to the public, representatives, and bureaucrats.

My first thought goes to the Great Lakes region of North America; i.e. Detroit/Windsor, Toronto/Niagara, Chicago, Sault St Marie. My personal choice in the area, though would be the Straits of Mackinac, where Lakes Michigan and Huron meet. Abundant fresh water, right in the vicinity of the US/Canada border, beautiful scenery, an area currently in the need of some economic invigoration, and not overwhelmed with existing development.

Just my take though.
                              I do not think it would be too much of a hassle at all. In basic what you are talking about is...Washington. The original concept. Or the Egyptians even did it.

I think though that any Governmental structure and Capitol would be located as far away from exisisting settlements and national boundries as it can possibly be. My two favorite ideas is putting it smack dab in the middle of the Atlantic, or the Mederteranian, given that it is almost in the 'center of the world.'

Comment

In my sci-fi world... Build an island complex somewhere outside of all other jurisdictions. If it works for the bad guys, it can work for the good guys.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X