Mass Effect universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
    Well the game makers are involved & has say in the process so how bad can it be ?
    Your research project for the weekend is to go watch Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
      Well the game makers are involved & has say in the process so how bad can it be ? This will be the first game movie with the creators involved heavily
      Bad, Bioware aren't perfect (hello there Dragon Age 2, though to be fair that was a different team in the company and its faults were gameplay related, not it's story) and I honestly can't see how you can fit a game like Mass Effect, that can last up to 50 hours, into a two hour movie.

Now to be fair lots of that's gameplay, but even if you cut two thirds out, the 15 to 20 hours that is story stuff is a lot to cut down. And bear in mind the movie doesn't actually have two hours to fit the story in either, if it's going to be a scifi movie blockbuster then it's going to have a lot of action in. So cut down the exposition and character development to about an hour and you have a big sodding problem.

To be honest game companies are human, they get lots of cash waved in the face by Hollywood and they know no matter how bad the movie is, it won't affect sales of their games. I mean you had Doom, Hitman and Max Payne, all crappy movies, but the companies that made the original games, ID Software, Remedy and IO Interactive kept being respected game developers because they knew that any criticism would be placed with Hollywood (which to be honest is where most of it's deserved .).

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Your research project for the weekend is to go watch Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.
        Seen it & that movie had nothing to do with the games. The first Mass Effect movie will be based off of the first game with creators input & say in decision making. That movie does not also count as the only thing similar to the Final Fantasy Universe is the name

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_F...Spirits_Within
          Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is a 2001 Japanese-American computer animated science fiction film directed by Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of the Final Fantasy series of role-playing video games.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

New Mass Effect 3 gameplay footage from Gamescom.

If you want to skip the guy talking, the actual footage starts at 1.40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL5OABOAM2w

Comment

Thanks for posting that Mighty 6, much appreciated.
              sigpic

Comment

Cool, awesome footage.
                sigpic

Comment

http://www.legendary.com/blog/sdcc-f...ions-answered/

They've flip-flopped again, first it was going to be about the First Contact War, then it was going to be based on the first game and now it's going to be a completely new story featuring Shepard.

Seth Green isn't going to be Joker and they're going with male Shepard.

Comment

Originally posted by Demonique View Post
                    http://www.legendary.com/blog/sdcc-f...ions-answered/

They've flip-flopped again, first it was going to be about the First Contact War, then it was going to be based on the first game and now it's going to be a completely new story featuring Shepard.

Seth Green isn't going to be Joker and they're going with male Shepard.
                    As with most movies based off videogames, some dumb Hollywood exec will make sure that it has nothing to do with the actual game, and the movie will turn out to be rubbish. But I can't blame EA and Bioware for selling the movie rights, at a minimum, even if the film bombs, they will gain brand recognition, and obviously got played for the license. A successful movie would expand recognition of the Mass Effect franchise even more, they've got nothing to lose, and if the film fails, it won't affect the quality of the games, and as long as Bioware keeps making them, people will buy them.

But I'm not hopeful about the movie, it looks more and more like it will just be a generic scifi action movie (with the an inevitable pg13 rating) that has little resemblance to the Mass Effect games.

Comment

Omni-tool moves a little closer to reality. Fark Snark: But it's from Microsoft, so it'll probably force you to reboot your arm occasionally.

Comment

Fairly old news, but Multiplayer has been confirmed for Mass Effect 3, in the form of co-op game modes. It's actually partially integrated into the single player campaign, as it generates this currency called "war assets" which will be used to fight the reapers in the main campaign and will affect how well you do. However Bioware have stressed it is perfectly possible to get maximum War Assets and the best outcomes purely in single player, and that multiplayer is totally optional. Anyway more info at PC Gamer.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/12/ma...yer-explained/

Comment

Good that you can do it solo. I'm really not interested in multiplayer in Mass Effect.

Comment

Good that you can do it solo. I'm really not interested in multiplayer in Mass Effect.
                            Eh it's a nice little extra imo. Plus they used another Bioware team for it, so we still get a full juicy single player campaign.

Comment

Yeah. As long as the MP feature doesn't 'take away' from the SP core of the game, I'm fine w/ more features/options.

Btw, did anyone buy/order the ME:Invasion comic? Is it any good? I didn't know about it until today. I hope the comic store can still order a 1st issue for me...
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post

Btw, did anyone buy/order the ME:Invasion comic? Is it any good? I didn't know about it until today. I hope the comic store can still order a 1st issue for me...
                                News to me, thanks for the heads up. Damn it, something else for me to spend money on.

Comment

Working...
                                X