Being Human (Syfy Remake) - News/Discussion/Spec. Spoilers for most recent ep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    Being Human doesn't need a American version at all, its kinda disgraceful to the British one that is still airing.
    Poor Todd, have you not yet realised that the "American Entertainment Machine" care's not a lick about what any other county does? No matter how better or uniquely, X country does a show, if there is a sniff of more cash, the idea will be sold off to some US studio. The USA does produce alot of good series and movies to be sure, but when they errr, "borrow" other countries idea's, they have an annoying habit of losing the "magic" of the original series and inserting thier own "acceptable paradigm", thereby destroying the "actual paradigm" of the original show.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I love the BBC Being Human and can't wait to see season 2 when it starts on BBC America in a few weeks.

will i watch the skiffy version? we'll see. It's been my experience that US channels, especially ones like Skiffy, tend to sexify and prettyify a show, while blandifying the writing to the point of cliche. they seem to strip it of all its uniqueness and reduce it to nothing more than a cookie cutter show.

I did enjoy 11th hour, which was a us remake of a UK show, but it didn't last - and I never saw the BBC version to see how much it'd changed
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Mark Pellegrino joins Being Human

Deadline is reporting that actor Mark Pellegrino has been cast in the US remake of Being Human.

Pellegrino is known for his roles as Jacob in Lost and Lucifer in Supernatural. He joins a cast that includes former Smallville baddie Sam Witwer as vampire Aidan, Meaghan Rath as Molly the ghost, and Sam Huntington as werewolf Josh. Pellegrino will play Bishop, a charismatic yet menacing mentor to Aidan. SyFy has commissioned the series, which is a remake of the hit UK show of the same name, from the BBC.

http://totalscifionline.com/news/525...ns-being-human

Comment

The Syfy Channel's re-imagined Being Human begins filming today - see link below -

http://scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com/sc...ntreal.html#tp

Comment

It look like they going for a carbon copy of the BBC version.

Comment

Guess that's not a bad thing if you've never seen the BBC version.
              sigpic

Comment

Here's the first teaser for Syfy's reimagined Being Human

http://blastr.com/2010/09/first-teaser-for-syfys-be.php

Comment

Not the best teaser I seen.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                    It look like they going for a carbon copy of the BBC version.

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                    Guess that's not a bad thing if you've never seen the BBC version.
                    awww! I like the BBC's version of the ghost, Annie. She is so pretty (gorgeous!) and has the face and heart of an angel. Maybe that's what the story was attempting to transform her into?? BBC SPOILER version--
                    Spoiler:
                    the fact that Annie was finally able to overcome her adversion to going thru the *dark* doorway of death, with help from her own ghost/angel...

and when she asked for help from the evil professor what's his name, but found herself helping George (physically) manage to get upstairs and into his cage, and lock him inside -- that was Annie -- in angelic mode...

There have been reports in real life about angels in disguise helping people. Sometimes, these "beings" are (mis)interpreted as ghosts. Anywho, that's what Annie reminded me of in recent eps.

If SyFy can't get a beautiful ghost with the face and heart of an angel, as lovely as Lenora Crichlow is (love how her hair style in the series enhances her beauty so well), well, then, it's going to be just another ghost story.

George (BBC version portrayed by Russell Tovey).. the guy who plays him seems to already have mouse ears. Cute, but kinda weird, but appropriate for a wolf with big ears -- *the better to hear*..

..and as far as Mitchell's (BBC version portrayed by Aidan Turner) remake into SyFy's Aidan (yeah, twist of names there), well, we shall see. I have yet to see anyone on any forum site mention that Aidan Turner also looks very much -- at certain framing angles -- just like Kyle Schmid, who played young Henry on Tv's Bloodties series. Must be the hair... but even his sideview profiles look very much like Kyle.
                    That's what probably made or makes Mitchell's character so charismatic (well, to some viewers). Even when his eyes switched over in vamp mode, he looked so much like Kyle's Henry, that they (both actors) could have played brothers or cousins (in any story).

*sigh*
                    ... well, I guess in the carbon copy department for SyFy, that's where the carbon copies separate into a whole different *being*..

Comment

For those who have seen the show (I'm anxious to check it out), what "version" of vampire do they use? Strengths\weaknesses? I'm sure most of those general rules will remain the same.
                      sigpic

Comment

I can spoil it for you if you like?

Spoiler:
                        They seem to be True Blood style from a certain promo I've seen, they certainly do that fast/blurred run thing with superhuman strength. Bleh.

Comment

in the BBC version, there's no aversion to sunlight, no aversion to garlic or any of that. Just a desire for and need for blood
                          He also seems to have some extra healing/resiliance.

he's basically the 'hot to trot' hottie where sex and love and desire and forbidden are all wrapped into one. while George - the werewolf - is the 'not hot but nice' man. kinda geeky, kinda ordinary, he's the one that's desired to be human the most. The ghost, well teh whole first season of the bbc version (bear in mind it was 6 episodes) was spent with her remembering how she died and what happened and coming to terms with her being a ghost. Season two was her learning to fit in with the humans and could even interact with them, and dealing with her own expected next step in her existence. the third season dealt mostly with george trying to get a girlfriend and the vampire dealing with others of his kind.

Honestly, other than George's transformations, and an occasional fang out and dark eyes by the vamp, there's not much in the way of effects.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

They'll never cast anyone as epic as Annabel Scholey.

Comment

Thanks for the recap.

So what are their weaknesses? I get a little annoyed by vampires with no weaknesses, werewolves turn human most of the time so it's a little more obvious.

I wonder how much they'll change the show for the US version. Is the BBC version still ongoing?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                                Thanks for the recap.

So what are their weaknesses? I get a little annoyed by vampires with no weaknesses, werewolves turn human most of the time so it's a little more obvious.
                                Stakes and religion.
                                I wonder how much they'll change the show for the US version. Is the BBC version still ongoing?
                                Yep, series 3 should be starting soon.

On the topic of remakes getting no love:

Comment

Working...
                                X