Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm actually really hoping they don't. One District 9 is a peculiarity, something unique and unusual. It was made largely documentary-style, detailing a series of events leading up to the 'present' of the end of the film and that's what made it so identifiable. Making a sequel, presumably dealing with Christopher, seems to me would end up as just another science fiction movie. Or else, it would be duplicating the style of D9 and be nothing new. In either case, I don't think I want to see a sequel.

I should probably also say that I liked Blair Witch and never saw its sequels, and I loved 28 Days Later and refuse to see 28 Weeks Later; for much the same reasons as why I suspect a District 9 sequel won't be anything to write home about. That's just my thoughts anyway.

Has anyone taken the time to see the short film (Alive in Joburg) that District 9 was based on? It's only 5 minutes long, and it's actually really quite good.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Has anyone taken the time to see the short film (Alive in Joburg) that District 9 was based on? It's only 5 minutes long, and it's actually really quite good.
      Good... And also appalling (but oh so human) when you realize that some of those answers from the "people on the street" interviews were about Zimbabwean refugees, not space aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
        Good... And also appalling (but oh so human) when you realize that some of those answers from the "people on the street" interviews were about Zimbabwean refugees, not space aliens.
        I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. The whole point of the film (or rather, sci fi in general) is to throw us into fantastic circumstances to examine something much closer to home. In the case of Alive in Joburg and District 9, that's very clearly the topic of racism--and because it's South Africa, obviously apartheid is a significant contributing factor to that study as well.

I think the fact that these interview clips are charged with racial hatred is entirely important to the validity of the films themselves.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

10 ways District 9 will change sci-fi moviemaking forever

District 9, the sci-fi action drama from director Neill Blomkamp, spun an alien invasion tale that managed to entertain while delivering a message about how horribly we can sometimes treat each other—and anyone or anything that's different.

But that wasn't the only message the film delivered. Its box-office and (for the most part) critical success delivered a message all its own, one that Hollywood heard loud and clear.

And since the movie business sometimes seems to live and die by the rule that everyone wants to be the first to be second, it means that D9's success will forever change the way films are made and marketed.

Some of the changes will be huge, while others will be relatively small, but still, that massive spaceship hovering over downtown Johannesburg in South Africa heralds a shift in sci-fi moviemaking.

Here's how we think future sci-fi films will try to copy this surprise hit (warning: spoilers ahead):

http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/10-ways...t-9-will-c.php

Comment

I think the fact that these interview clips are charged with racial hatred is entirely important to the validity of the films themselves.
            I'm not denying that, but I still find it a rather sad and telling commentary on the human race that we're still so deeply mired in prejudice.

Comment

I'm not denying that, but I still find it a rather sad and telling commentary on the human race that we're still so deeply mired in prejudice.
              Sometimes the truth hurts... buts its there for everyone to see.

You need not go as far as South Africa to find this hatred, that's why I think the people getting worked up on some parts of this movie is just silly.

This movie just shows us what we really are, but I guess some people can't handle seeing it when it's put in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                You need not go as far as South Africa to find this hatred, that's why I think the people getting worked up on some parts of this movie is just silly.
                Hadn't heard people were getting worked up about it but yeah, it IS silly; prejudice is EVERYWHERE.

I do, however, really like that the film is set in South Africa. Not only because it gives things a slightly different "feel" but also because it's nice to see a big movie (particularly one with aliens) that isn't America-centric.

Comment

Hadn't heard people were getting worked up about it but yeah, it IS silly; prejudice is EVERYWHERE.

I do, however, really like that the film is set in South Africa. Not only because it gives things a slightly different "feel" but also because it's nice to see a big movie (particularly one with aliens) that isn't America-centric.
                  I agree, South Africa was a defiantly a unique setting. Almost every major movie is set someplace common, so being some place totally different here gave the more a nicer, fresh feel.

I think if another movie is done though, it might take place back in america or such. I hope not though, I really want them to keep exploring this area of the world.

Although I do hope if they continue to film in parts of Africa, that they show more cities.

The majority of the film took place on garbage dumps and run-down huts... I know that's where they sent the aliens, but it is reinforcing some of the common stereotypes that all of Africa is like this.

Anyways, Just my 2-cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                    The majority of the film took place on garbage dumps and run-down huts... I know that's where they sent the aliens, but it is reinforcing some of the common stereotypes that all of Africa is like this.
                    Heh. I watched Charlie Jade, so I've seen bits of Cape Town at least.

Or, that is, I watched until frakkin' Skiffy went and moved it to an impossible early-morning hour. Grrr.

But I digress. Yes, seeing more of Africa would be nice. I share your concern that the sequel would be Americanized, though. I was initially psyched at the idea of a sequel, but the more I think on it the more I realize it'll probably kill all the charm and originality of the first one.

Comment

I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all. The whole point of the film (or rather, sci fi in general) is to throw us into fantastic circumstances to examine something much closer to home. In the case of Alive in Joburg and District 9, that's very clearly the topic of racism--and because it's South Africa, obviously apartheid is a significant contributing factor to that study as well.

2nd
                      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Loved it! It's amazing what you can do with just 30 mil.

Comment

Neil Blomkamp Talks District 9 Sequel's And Prequel's!

"Even though he wrote District 9 with no sequel in mind, Blomkamp admits that he has “an inclination of an idea” for one and would definitely be interested in directing the sequel...

...which would again be set in South Africa and star Sharlto Copley as Wikus van der Merwe again. “Does Wikus become human again?” is one of the plot issues which Blomkamp feels can be explored in a possible sequel."

That would be cool as we would see Christopher come back to Earth with his alien friends and kick hell out of all the puny humans experimenting on and selling cat food to the aliens. Old people might not mind but seriously Cat Food!!!

When Neil Blomkamp was asked whether Christopher would return to Earth in three years to help Wikus. Bloomkamp states “I do have ideas rattling around in my head, and weirdly enough they're not to do with what you just said,” Blomkamp said. “They're different. But, who knows?”

That's not to say Neil Blomkamp wouldn't turn back the clock, so to speak. Apparently Blomkamp finds van der Merwe’s character to be “hilarious". District 9 star Sharlto Copley played van der Merwe and has also said he would love to play a younger version of the character.

Blomkamp also acknowledged the Peter Jackson would be involved in any future Prawn battles.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...S/news/?a=9628

Comment

Can't believe this thread isn't longer.... Amazing movie.....It... they... blimey!

*Brain combusts*

Anyone spot the Halo Sniper Rifle?

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

I saw this film a few days ago and was blown away at how good it was for the first half, and how garbage it was for the second. A seriously awesome film destroyed by the Transformers nonsense of the last half hour. Still, I walked away surprised and more than satisfied. An intense film. I sat too close to the screen and ended up feeling really ill, not a huge fan of the shaky camera business.
                              Dimmed light illuminates wearily a thousand skyscrapers of concrete, glass, shattered imaginations and severed dreams. Urban structures of brick and steel extend tendrils of decay and neglect into an aging embrace of irreverence, moving forward into synthetic joy.

Comment

I just watched this today and would like to say that it was an awesome movie. It was so different from all the regular movies that are released nowadays. The movie was original and filmed in a very creative fashion (documentary/mockumentary style). Its always great enjoying a unique film, as they are hard to come by these days.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X