This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'District 9' invades box office with $14.2 mil on Friday

Even though the movie was “for humans only,” District 9 had no problem dominating the box office on Friday, according to early estimates. Capitalizing on its Comic Con buzz and an ingenious viral marketing strategy, the sci-fi thriller grossed $14.2 million on its first day. Not bad for a film that reportedly cost only $30 million and was directed by an unknown 29-year-old named Neill Blomkamp. The romantic drama The Time Traveler’s Wife, with seemingly no aliens or apartheid metaphors, proved to be solid counter-programming by taking second place with $7.7 million. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra dropped a hefty 68 percent in its second week for a Friday tally of $7.2 million, indicating that only a third of the 13-year-old boys who saw the movie last weekend returned yesterday. Fourth and fifth place went to Julie & Julia and G-Force, which cooked up $3.6 million and $2.1 million, respectively.
    http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/...ce-district-9/

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
      Star Trek still tops my list as the best film of the year... so far
      Definitely agree. I was a huge GI Joe fan as a kid but I haven't seen the movie yet. Transformers was great but not as good as ST. I don't think anything else is even close.
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Box Office Report: 'District 9' conquers competition with $37 mil

In what feels like a box-office weekend from The Twilight Zone, a low-budget and critically acclaimed movie with no stars and an unknown director managed to top the charts. District 9, the alien action pic produced by Peter Jackson and directed by the 29-year-old Neill Blomkamp — who shot the film in Johannesburg, South Africa, of all places – crushed the competition by grossing $37 million, according to early estimates. Audiences clearly enjoyed what they saw too: District 9 has already soared to #78 on IMDb’s top 250 movies list, although it’ll obviously drop some as the initial euphoria wears off.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/...rt-district-9/

Comment

Any updates on how well this is still doing?

Comment

Any updates on how well this is still doing?
            I am sure it is still going very strong. It probably will be for quite a while still.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

District 9 - Neill Blomkamp Would Love to Return for a Sequel

It's pretty much inevitable that we'll see a sequel to District 9. The film made an impressive $37.3 million over the weekend, not only surpassing expectations, but making more than its entire budget (not including marketing costs). And the story also sets up a sequel perfectly (we won't say how until later on to prevent spoilers) in the end. But like with J.J. Abrams and Cloverfield, will Peter Jackson put a hold on it until they come up with a story that's satisfactory? Well, Neill Blomkamp already seems quite excited to go back, as he recently told EW: "I would do anything to go back to the world of District 9 again. Or District 10."

continues:
              http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com...d-love-to.html

Comment

I'm all for another film... but lets change the title.

District 10 just sounds lame tbh.

Comment

Just got back from a midnight showing off this film, and it rocked!

My 2nd favorite movie of the year so far, the first being Star Trek.

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to a another movie.

Spoiler:
                  I do feel sorry for the humans though, if the aliens return... it likely won't be a very happy visit. Karma at its best I guess.

Comment

Spoiler:
                    I do feel sorry for the humans though, if the aliens return... it likely won't be a very happy visit. Karma at its best I guess.
                    Sorry? Really?
                    Spoiler:
                    I don't feel sorry for the humans at all. One of the things I loved best about this movie is that it showed us for the monsters we are.

When the Prawns do come back and if "Christopher" can't limit it to a simple rescue mission (although even that will undoubtedly be ugly, thanks to us) this will be one case where I feel no qualms at all about cheering on the alien attackers.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      Sorry? Really?
                      Spoiler:
                      I don't feel sorry for the humans at all. One of the things I loved best about this movie is that it showed us for the monsters we are.

When the Prawns do come back and if "Christopher" can't limit it to a simple rescue mission (although even that will undoubtedly be ugly, thanks to us) this will be one case where I feel no qualms at all about cheering on the alien attackers.
                      Spoiler:
                      Oh, Sorry. you misunderstood me. I was saying I felt sorry for them in a joking manner. Of course they get what they deserve. This whole movie showed us as monsters. I laughed at the end with everyone cheering that they were leaving. I was like, oh they'll be back alright... and i don't think the humans will be cheering then.

Comment

just saw it and it was awesome movie , i really liked a lot , i liked a lot of the summer blockbusters out there ! yeah i am a dork !!
                        sigpic
                        May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Meanwhile last weekend’s big winner District 9 suffered severely at the hands of Inglourious Basterds and its star Brad Pitt, with its Friday number at $5.5 million, down 61% from its opening day a week ago
                          http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/...win-on-friday/

Comment

Spoiler:
                            Oh, Sorry. you misunderstood me. I was saying I felt sorry for them in a joking manner. Of course they get what they deserve. This whole movie showed us as monsters. I laughed at the end with everyone cheering that they were leaving. I was like, oh they'll be back alright... and i don't think the humans will be cheering then.

i thought this movie was great and i agree with you Alan Wake about what you said, but i also think this movie has an interesting theme and that is "Stand by your Man" just saying
                            sigpic
                            May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

I went and saw District 9 last night. Loved it, it was something really fresh.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

its freaking awesome movie...im hoping they make a sequel to it

Comment

Working...
                                X