What Scifi Movie did you watch today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeon Flux.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Dark City
      Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
      Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

I am JUST about to watch Star Trek Nemisis... as soon as my kid goes down for his nap!! LOL I LOOOOOOOOOVE that movie!! Its my fav Trek...err... at the moment. I reserve the right to change my mind back and forth on that frequently and without subject to notice!!

Comment

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
          Perhaps the best of all the Star Trek films, the only one that gives it a run for its money is The Undiscovered Country (which, incidentally, was Nick Meyer's first and preferred title for TWoK until the studio changed it on him). Nick Meyer really was the best thing that happened to Star Trek IMO. This is just such a powerful film; justice, revenge, consequences, life and death all tackled in one touching and incredible movie.

Ricardo Montalban's acting presence is so sorely missed now that he's passed away. His performance as Khan in this movie is just frickin' chillingly good. There really aren't that many actors anymore who have such incredible gravitas that a line like "you are in a position to demand nothing", delivered calmly, could be so icy and stop you dead in your tracks. He also delivers one of the best dialogues in the entire franchise history (which is sadly overshadowed by the infamous Khaaan!):

I've done far worse than kill you, Admiral. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left her: marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead planet, buried alive.
          And let's not forget the brilliant naval-style space battles that this movie pioneered for the franchise--incidentally, another contribution of the singular Nicholas Meyer. Before seeing this movie, who'd have ever thought that slow-paced dramatic build-up could make a space battle into something as or more intense than something paced much faster?

edit; and also now Pandorum. Saw this once before 'illegitimately', and immediately went out and bought it on Blu. Fun movie, creepy as all hell. I'm a bit disappointed with the video print though, it's very very grainy. For a movie this dark, they really should've paid better attention to the video transfer =\

And the world needs more Antje Traue
          Last edited by DigiFluid; 28 August 2010, 05:05 PM.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Dreamcatcher
            sigpic

Comment

Is "The Mist" a SciFi movie? Well I watched it last night. Seen it before, but it was still nice. Very creepy ending.
              A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
                The middle (and perhaps weakest) link in the so-called Star Trek Trilogy. While not as brilliant as the two films that bookend it, I think this movie still unfairly gets a bad rap. This is still quite a good movie IMO. The performances of all the regulars are top-notch; while the guest appearances by Christopher Lloyd, Mark Lenard, Robin Curtis, and Merritt Butrick are all measured and fit well into the movie.

You can't help but feel this movie tug at your heartstrings too. The crew commits what amounts to treason for the first time in their careers, in order to save their friend. We find out that David is, in fact, just like his father in how he 'cheated' in order to make Genesis work. Kirk's only child is murdered while he listens in; and shortly afterward we watch the Enterprise--home of so many legendary journeys--self-destruct
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Just finished Moon, again. Fantastic film - I don't think I've seen a film with Sam Rockwell where he wasn't fantastic. The design, the lack of CG and the clever, simple, personal story give it tremendous depth and make it fit in beautifully with classics like 2001, Outland and Silent Running. Loved it!
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Excellent *nods*

Comment

And just put on WALL-E again. What a great movie this is

Comment

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home -- Classic

Primer -- Consider my mind blown

Comment

Just finished Stargate: The Ark of Truth. Better than I remember it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Watched Star Trek V: The Final Frontier last night

Comment

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
                              A truly wonderful, prescient film. An absolutely wonderful Star Trek analog to the contemporaneous Chernobyl disaster, collapse of the old Soviet regime and thaw of East-West relations in the real world. This film couldn't have been better timed, and it makes a wonderfully fitting end to the TOS era of Star Trek--a struggle, but justice and peace ultimately prevail.

This is also one of the finest examples of Star Trek using classical literature (and in particular, Shakespeare) to its storytelling advantage. The compare and contrast of human and Klingon cultures in this movie through literature and historical example is great too. The way the Klingons are absolutely baffled at what to do with napkins, while 'our' crew is baffled at Klingon behaviour--who are immediately called out by Azetbur, pointing out that the words "human rights" are inherently ethnocentric of us to be throwing around.

Performances across the board are terrific as well. Shatner plays a great warrior faced with peace as he reaches retirement age, Spock brokers said peace in a sort of mid-life crisis of his own, McCoy is hilariously grumpy to the end, while the rest of the cast delivers great performances as well. And the guest performers did great work too; David Warner does a great Gorkon, miles distant from the character he played in the previous film. Kim Cattrall does an interesting Vulcan who arrives at an entirely different conclusion from Spock when faced with peace; and of course the wonderful Christopher Plummer as one of the most memorable Klingons ever on screen.

The design choices and VFX are wonderful too. The blue-green Enterprise computers design is just beautiful, I wish it had seen more uses than this and a couple little cameos in TNG. All of the Klingon sets, whether on the ship, the court, or Rura Penthe all have a consistent awesomeness to them. The entire sequence on Rura Penthe (Alaska) are beautifully filmed and add so much to the film. Finally....the ship combat sequences. WOW. This is a textbook example of why models are better than CGI.

Beautiful, brilliant, genius film. A worthy end to the adventures of the original Enterprise crew.

Comment

watched Minority Report , so gross is the sandwich scene
                                sigpic
                                May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X