This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
    god, a remake of OUR 11th hour.... staring PATRICK STEWART!!! why didn't they just renew our version instead of making a US vers

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462097/

even though it was only 4 feature length ep's it was darn good
    It Was DAMN Good And The UK Version Was Nothing Like Fringe, Much More Serious.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Originally posted by starlightgazer View Post
      Not really "like" it, I don't think. Guess we'll all know for sure, after the premiere tomorrow night!!

But, comparatively I think where Fringe is more about "out there" science-fictional cases and premise, Eleventh Hour deals with factual occurrences that would actually be possible, and could happen.

AvatarIII, would you say that applied to the UK version, as well??
      yeah it's very down to earth, the episodes were about (in spoilers in case the new series is the same)
      Spoiler:
      1) underground cloning experiments
      2) a virus outbreak
      3) covered up research into climate change
      4) a boy with cancer is miraculously cured, but is it really a miracle?
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

Watched the premiere. Found it fairly generic and I think they're trying a bit too hard with their Quirky Science Geek (although not nearly as hard as on Fringe) but... I may keep watching. I just wish it wasn't opposite Life on Mars. I wanna support my boy Lenny Clarke.

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
          god, a remake of OUR 11th hour.... staring PATRICK STEWART!!! why didn't they just renew our version instead of making a US vers

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462097/

even though it was only 4 feature length ep's it was darn good
          PATRICK STEWART??? Yeah, why don't they just show the UK version! I'm all for that. I should check out my BBC Canada station and see if they are airing the UK version.
          Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

I didn't care much for it. I watched enough to see the scientist try to be a tough guy and decided to watch something else.

You know both The 11th hour and Fringe remind me of a lesser known, promptlly cancelled and freaking excellent show called Strange something or other. Strange World maybe? I know it had Tim Guinea in it.
            Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

*dredges memory* Yeah... I vaguely remember that show. Had to look it up on IMDB to get the neurons firing, but I remember watching at least a few eps of it. Dunno if I stuck with it for its whole abbreviated run, though.

There are a lot of "government groups investigating weird occurrences" shows out there, most of them knocking off X-Files, of course (although I know there was stuff like Kolchak before (and after) that). There tends to be a sameness to them all. Quirky Lover of All Things Freakish gets paired with Straight-Laced Unbeliever of the Opposite Gender and together they fight crime! investigate weirdness. Although I think Strange World's formula was a little different. Eleventh Hour, alas, is right on course. I wonder how long before they begin showing hints of... feelings... between the leads.

Comment

Yeah, thought a few scenes from the premiere/pilot matched a few that I'd seen from the UK verz...

Did anyone catch the latest ep., last night? Thought this one was pretty solid. The case (...although, the last one coulda been, as well) was a lot more realistic. And, I'm liking the Hood/Young match-up!

Comment

I'm still finding it kinda bland, but not enough to change the channel. Much. the American version of Life on Mars is a little TOO similar to the original for my tastes, so while I want to watch it and like it I keep winding up with 11th Hour instead. I never saw the UK version so I have no preconceptions about it. LOL!

I would like to know what started off the trend of the quirky scientists/detectives. There are oddballs on Life, Mentalist, 11th Hour and Fringe, just to name the ones I know. What started it? Life? Or maybe it's an offshoot of Goren's popularity on Criminal Intent.

I know it's a bit early in the series, but can anyone tell me what Hood brings to the table that makes him better/more interesting than the others? Or would you say they're all more or less interchangeable?

Comment

i've tried to watch it but it hasn't quite held my attention
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      I would like to know what started off the trend of the quirky scientists/detectives. There are oddballs on Life, Mentalist, 11th Hour and Fringe, just to name the ones I know. What started it? Life? Or maybe it's an offshoot of Goren's popularity on Criminal Intent.

I know it's a bit early in the series, but can anyone tell me what Hood brings to the table that makes him better/more interesting than the others? Or would you say they're all more or less interchangeable?
                      Pretty much interchangeable for me. The thing going for the Mentalist and Eleventh Hour are the lead actors. I like Simon Baker and Rufus Sewell. So that will keep me watching a few more eps, but it's nothing I'm going to stay home and watch or record.

Edit: And now to figure out what I'm going to do for my 5000 on topic post.
                      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

The concept of a show based on scientific mysteries appeals to me. I'm hoping this show will stick with what is scientifically possible. I was very dissapointed with Fringe, the science in that show is downright stupid.

Originally posted by starlightgazer
                        Did anyone catch the latest ep., last night? Thought this one was pretty solid. The case (...although, the last one coulda been, as well) was a lot more realistic. And, I'm liking the Hood/Young match-up!
                        I like the episode overall. The only thing i have a small problem with, is that they implicate homeopathy is the same thing as herbal medicine. (homeopathy pisses me off)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
                          The concept of a show based on scientific mysteries appeals to me. I'm hoping this show will stick with what is scientifically possible.
                          Yeah, that's probably the biggest draw for me...that, and Sewell starring. The series definitely seems to have a leg-up in that arena, especially compared to fringe...

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
                          The only thing i have a small problem with, is that they implicate homeopathy is the same thing as herbal medicine. (homeopathy pisses me off)
                          Haha...who knew!? The episode was really good, with lots of "who-done-it?" twists, (but, botany does kinda bore me) thanks for clearing that up!!

Comment

IMO the best new show of the year.

Comment

R LEE ERMEY!! *squees like the helpless fangirl she is*

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                                I'm still finding it kinda bland, but not enough to change the channel. Much. the American version of Life on Mars is a little TOO similar to the original for my tastes, so while I want to watch it and like it I keep winding up with 11th Hour instead. I never saw the UK version so I have no preconceptions about it. LOL!

Fringe couldn't hold my interest for even the first hour of the pilot so I didn't get a lot of the oddball scientist to make much of an opinion of him. I was so indifferent to the other characters they couldn't hold my attention long enough to really get to him.

I watched the first ep. of the Mentalist and I really didn't want to watch a show about a guy whose family was murdered and the murderer is still out there.

But so far I must admit I don't know what it is about Hood that holds me more. I do find I like Rachel more than the female characters of the other two shows.

Comment

Working...
                                X