This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with this entire post. 'I Am Legend' was garbage, 'The Omega Man' was far better. And I thought 'Day After Tomorrow' sucked too.
    Omega Man was too slow for me. I prefered I am Legend because it seemed more realistic. It has been a while since I read the book it was based on so I will have to read the book again to see which of the two is closest to the novel. I think it depends on a persons' taste in movies.

BTW, how many people are going to see The Happening in the theaters June 13. I heard it really scared the people they chose to screen it.
    "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
    'Eleanor Roosevelt'
    Individuality is freedom lived.
    'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1 View Post
      Omega Man was too slow for me. I prefered I am Legend because it seemed more realistic.
      Nah....actors in grey face paint beats lousy circa-2001 CGI any day of the week in terms of realism.

Re: the other thing, no way I'll be seeing The Happening. M. Night Shyamalalamaman is just painfully predictable in his "I'm going to have a shocker ending" mould. It worked for The Sixth Sense. After that, not so much.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Nah....actors in grey face paint beats lousy circa-2001 CGI any day of the week in terms of realism.

Re: the other thing, no way I'll be seeing The Happening. M. Night Shyamalalamaman is just painfully predictable in his "I'm going to have a shocker ending" mould. It worked for The Sixth Sense. After that, not so much.
        Signs was alright. But I refuse to see anything new of his since "The Village" was so blatantly plagiarized.

Unbreakable is absolutely fantastic though, I think it's better than The Sixth Sense.

Comment

The Day the Earth Stood Still, see that before any horrendous remake is done!!!

The original War of The Worlds from 1953 is still the best for me and I've avoided the Tom Cruise remake.

The Day of the Triffids, another oldie but a good one, overlooked always but I loved the book and this movie was a pretty good adaptation.

The Time Machine is worth a look too.

Time After Time has the interesting idea that HG Wells actually built the said time machine of his novel and ends up in some interesting adventures in the pursuit of an infamous historical figure!

OK, so I've tended to stay with the older classics but they are IMHO an important part of the total enjoyment of Sci Fi movies!

My list could go on for ever but people have mentioned all the other worthwhile movies. Have fun!

Comment

Read again. I did.
            Just did..thanks man. I loved The Thing too.
            Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Did anyone put down the "Stargate" movie from whence all the TV series cometh from? James Spader's Daniel is still my favorite, even though Shanksy does do a great job! (EDIT...Ok, just did a less skimmy read of Digi's list - it's there!!)
              and another couple of films...Contact, and Escape from New York.
              sigpic
              My Manips & other artwork!

Comment

I also feel the need to say that A.I. is possibly one of the most prime examples of a steaming pile of garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                  I also feel the need to say that A.I. is possibly one of the most prime examples of a steaming pile of garbage.
                  If you include the obviously-Steven-Spielberg-tacked-on final 15ish minutes or so, I agree completely and totally.

If you end it before that at the more glum blue ending which I won't mention in detail as not to spoil, it was a pretty good film.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Gwoemul or The Host

It's a Korean film and it was pretty well done. Interesting film---although you can so tell they were taking a dig at the US. I wonder if I should name the others....since Americans have been stealing all their film concepts from Asia.
                    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

If you include the obviously-Steven-Spielberg-tacked-on final 15ish minutes or so, I agree completely and totally.

If you end it before that at the more glum blue ending which I won't mention in detail as not to spoil, it was a pretty good film.
                      i totally agree, i think AI is in the most part, well written, acted, and concieved, but trust speilburg to put
                      Spoiler:
                      a happy ending with aliens or super advanced robots on it
                      Spoiler:
                      i heard he even put aliens at the end of Indy4
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                      Quotes!
                      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                        i totally agree, i think AI is in the most part, well written, acted, and concieved, but trust speilburg to put
                        Spoiler:
                        a happy ending with aliens or super advanced robots on it
                        Spoiler:
                        i heard he even put aliens at the end of Indy4
                        Grrrr.....I agree. Haven't seen the second movie you mention, but I have heard that and am not hesitant to see it.

AI however is overall very good. It just needed to be shorter. I hate Hollywood endings.

Comment

I enjoyed A.I more than I thought I would. I agree, the glum ending was the better one.

I do feel that the adage that some things are best left alone really apply to Sci Fi movies in many cases.

Some more movies worth taking a look at:

Enemy Mine - Robinson Crusoe in Space, really well done!
                          Starman - Romantic road movie with an alien twist but really good.
                          Mars Attacks! - A wonderful tongue in cheek romp through all the classic Sci Fi movie cliches, love it!! "Tak, Tak"!!

Comment

Mars Attacks! - A wonderful tongue in cheek romp through all the classic Sci Fi movie cliches, love it!! "Tak, Tak"!!

just watched all three last night. I liked them but mars attack was weird. I watched riddick and the animated riddick and I like them. I heard most dont but i did. I bought ae I didn't know until I read it here that it was from Joss. This post has found me a lot of new films. THanks folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Theimmortaljedi View Post

just watched all three last night. I liked them but mars attack was weird. I watched riddick and the animated riddick and I like them. I heard most dont but i did. I bought ae I didn't know until I read it here that it was from Joss. This post has found me a lot of new films. THanks folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              I liked Chronicals of Riddick well enough but yeah most people dont. I have not seen the annimated one, but if you like the character and you do any type of PC or Xbox gaming you may want to pick up Chronicals of Riddick: Escape from Butchers Bay. It is the best video game based on a movie franchise of all time and one of my favorite games of all time. They are supposed to be doing a remake for 360 and PS3 but not sure when its going to hit. It is a prequel to Pitch Black and you find out exactly how Riddick gets his "shine".

Also, when you saw Chronicals of Riddick did you see the "directors addition" of the movie or the "theatrical release"? There are some differences. For the most part I liked the directors edition better as it explains more, but I liked the Theatrical ending (very, end with the ships) better.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                                I liked Chronicals of Riddick well enough but yeah most people dont. I have not seen the annimated one, but if you like the character and you do any type of PC or Xbox gaming you may want to pick up Chronicals of Riddick: Escape from Butchers Bay. It is the best video game based on a movie franchise of all time and one of my favorite games of all time. They are supposed to be doing a remake for 360 and PS3 but not sure when its going to hit. It is a prequel to Pitch Black and you find out exactly how Riddick gets his "shine".

Also, when you saw Chronicals of Riddick did you see the "directors addition" of the movie or the "theatrical release"? There are some differences. For the most part I liked the directors edition better as it explains more, but I liked the Theatrical ending (very, end with the ships) better.
                                they also did dark fury, a sort anime film that is a bridge between PB and CoR
                                Spoiler:
                                Disclaimer:
                                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                                Quotes!
                                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X