This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Also, maybe in the books I'll understand the whole Elfarren thing and how the old woman with the amulet fits into things. Maybe she was the handmaiden who ran away with Elfarren and was made Keeper of the Amulet when Elfarren perished at sea or something...

From what I can tell Lady Elfarren was the one who made the Amulet of Peace. They explained near the end that the old woman who gave Ged the amulet was the priestess who had turned against the sisterhood in the past and released the Nameless Ones the first time. She afterwards regretted doing this and everyone thought she died in the sea storm.

Comment

OK, so Elfarren MADE the amulet and Wossname broke it? Or something? So they aren't meant to be the same woman, then. I wasn't entirely clear on that...

Comment

OK, so Elfarren MADE the amulet and Wossname broke it? Or something? So they aren't meant to be the same woman, then. I wasn't entirely clear on that...
        No, definately not the same woman. Elfarren was dead. The old lady was obviously still alive and living in Ged's village. But yeah, Elfarren didn't break the amulet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolinarsam
          No, definately not the same woman. Elfarren was dead. The old lady was obviously still alive and living in Ged's village.
          I know, which is why I was so confused. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Comment

No problem. I just have to say though every time I saw Kossil (Ren'al) I kept wanting to go "Bad, bad Tok'ra!"

It was nice to see that actress in a bigger part though. Never saw more than a few minutes of her at a time as Ren'al on Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolinarsam
              No problem. I just have to say though every time I saw Kossil (Ren'al) I kept wanting to go "Bad, bad Tok'ra!"

It was nice to see that actress in a bigger part though. Never saw more than a few minutes of her at a time as Ren'al on Stargate.
              So that's why she seemed so familiar. Wasn't one of the editors or something someone who's worked on Stargate? Do you think he helped put her's and AT's names out there for the producers?

Comment

Also, maybe in the books I'll understand the whole Elfarren thing and how the old woman with the amulet fits into things. Maybe she was the handmaiden who ran away with Elfarren and was made Keeper of the Amulet when Elfarren perished at sea or something...
                as far as I remember the old lady had nothing to do with the amulet, I could be wrong, but I do know that he didn't get the one half from her in the book. I think the book said that she was geds aunt. I think the people that made the miniseris forgot to read the books so they read cliff notes or somthing becuase they were completly different(mostly the second half). they even got geds name messed up.

Originally posted by JakeDeuxPointZero
                Hmm... so this is based on two books out of three? Does that mean there's a chance of a sequel?

Anyways, I'm glad this was good, and I hope they do well with Red Mars, too, as that is a book I've read part of... and I may finish eventually...
                there are 5 books i belive
                1. a wizard of earthsea
                2. tombs of atuan
                3. the fartest shore
                4. tehanu
                5. the otherwind
                -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
                GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
                M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
                ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
                geekcode

Comment

More from Ursula K LeGuin about the miniseries here

When I sold the rights to Earthsea a few years ago, my contract gave me the standard status of "consultant"—which means whatever the producers want it to mean, almost always little or nothing. My agency could not improve this clause. But the purchasers talked as though they genuinely meant to respect the books and to ask for my input when planning the film. They said they had already secured Philippa Boyens (who co-wrote the scripts for The Lord of the Rings) as principal script writer. The script was, to me, all-important, so Boyens' presence was the key factor in my decision to sell this group the option to the film rights.

Months went by. By the time the producers got backing from the Sci Fi Channel for a miniseries—and another producer, Robert Halmi Sr., had come aboard—they had lost Boyens. That was a blow. But I had just seen Halmi's miniseries DreamKeeper, which had a stunning Native American cast, and I hoped that Halmi might include some of those great actors in Earthsea.

Comment

Well i can't really blame the people who messed up her creation, well maybe just a little, but i enjoyed it still... Haha, i thought Lotr did a pretty good job, same with Harry Potter, even with the minor (ok maybe some major) parts cut out, but i still think they were good.
                    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

For those of you who catch this post in time (in the US mostly) the SciFi channel is airing Earthsea (both parts) starting at 7PM tonight. so if you missed it last week, here's your chance to see it again.

Comment

http://slate.msn.com/id/2111107/

Ouch.

Comment

The author's biggest complaint (at least the one she's spent the most time writing about) is that they cast a lot of white actors, rather than making it the multi-colored fantasy world she wrote of (read: just about everyone but the evil soldier hordes aren't white).

Certainly a significant issue for a film adaptation, but if that's her biggest complaint, the movie can't be all bad. If they actually screwed up the story and its themes and message, I'd be more interested in hearing about that. Otherwise ... meh.
                          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

The first story is adapted better. The second is barely touched. They should have done 6 hours.
                            A Quick Word from the Far Side of the Galaxy

Comment

Originally posted by JediTrilobite
                              The first story is adapted better. The second is barely touched. They should have done 6 hours.
                              Yah, i agree, 4 hours imo doesn't cut it (it wasn't even a full 4 hours anyway). Although i haven't read the books, i did read alot about how they changed things, and changed other things, and blah. Question though, what was the second part supposed to be like since it was 'barely touched'?
                              Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by Elwe Singollo
                                Yah, i agree, 4 hours imo doesn't cut it (it wasn't even a full 4 hours anyway). Although i haven't read the books, i did read alot about how they changed things, and changed other things, and blah. Question though, what was the second part supposed to be like since it was 'barely touched'?
                                think of what it wasn't luike in the miniseris and your porobably close to the original
                                -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
                                GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
                                M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
                                ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
                                geekcode

Comment

Working...
                                X