Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really? I recognised her immediately. Or I was pretty sure. As soon as she spoke, that sealed it.

Comment

I have a small TV and the blue misty thing kinda through me a little bit.
      Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
      RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by Elwe Singollo
        Are you referring to that old lady that Ged was asking for spell (i think asking) to fend off the invaders? If you are, i am wondering the samething. What i don't get is how that powerful magus was [killed], well maybe he was just too slow...

wait what magus was killed?

Spoiler:
        the archmagus of roke wasnt killed, he disguised himself as jasper

wait was ogewan (sp?) killed, i thought thats what the gibbith said, wait maybe he was lying, aah my head hurts.

i think they said something about lady elfarron being the last one to have the sealed amulet, or did they say she was the one to break it? idk, but she was one of those "venerable mothers"

Comment

I think I was just anticipating a little more from her role than we got, because she was listed so predominantly in the opening credits. I never even thought about her as being the quickly conjured-and-gone spirit of lady Elfaron, so I just wasn't looking for it. Oh, well.....

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Heh... I must be the only one who remembered the interview. When the annoying student guy (forgot the name) said something like "can you raise... LADY ELFARREN?", I was like "yes, Amanda Tapping time!" I was ready for it, so when she came, I knew it was coming. It was fun.

As for the miniseries, good stuff. For people who may say "it was cheesy" or "it's an LOTR ripoff, jumping on the bandwagon" and all that stuff criticizing it, I say who cares? As long as it's cool and has an enjoyable storyline, I don't care... I really liked it.
            Sheppard and Mitchell: and you were worried they were going to be O'Neill clones?

Two of my favorite shows are about Jonathan Sheppard, assuming Jack is always short for Jonathan. Weird, huh? (Lost and Atlantis)

Comment

I thought the whole thing was pretty good. Although I was surprised how short it was. Granted 4 hours (incuding commercials) is longer than most movies, I was expecting it to be a little longer since they'd been calling it a "miniseries".

I really want to read the book(s?) now because I imagine it can only get better.

Signature banner by Lucia Tanaka

Comment

I thought Earthsea was pretty good. Unfortunately, I missed the last half-hour last night cuz I fell asleep! But not to worry. I had the VCR set to record it so I can see what I missed later.

Comment

Originally posted by Asgard Buddy
                  I thought the whole thing was pretty good. Although I was surprised how short it was. Granted 4 hours (incuding commercials) is longer than most movies, I was expecting it to be a little longer since they'd been calling it a "miniseries".

I really want to read the book(s?) now because I imagine it can only get better.
                  Yah, i hoped it would be longer, its not even 4 hours, more like 3 hours, oh well, i thought it was still good. Wish the ending was a bit longer, i wanted to see what some of the side-characters were upto, although they seemed irrelavent to the story...
                  Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I have the feeling there were vast gulfs of vital information left out of the miniseries. The same thing happened with Wrinkle in Time. Nice miniseries, but the books were so much more meaningful. Will have to check out the Earthsea books, now. So at least these "cheap imitations" are good for something.

Also, maybe in the books I'll understand the whole Elfarren thing and how the old woman with the amulet fits into things. Maybe she was the handmaiden who ran away with Elfarren and was made Keeper of the Amulet when Elfarren perished at sea or something...

Comment

Originally posted by Asgard Buddy

I'm still awaiting to see the series, but I guarantee you the books are much much much better. Then again i'm biased...i love any book written by Ursula K. LeGuin.

From what i'm hearing the miniseries isn't that faithful to the book. That may explain some of harsh criticisms as well.
                      ~Athena

Comment

Well there is good news to those who enjoyed Eathsea the mini series.

I enjoyed it,and Kristin really made me love it even more......

It was a ratings success!!!

Congrats Cast and Crew....and Kristin and Amanda!!!!

'Earthsea' Washes Up Strong Ratings for Sci Fi
                        (Wednesday, December 15 04:56 PM)
                        LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) December has once again proven to be the magic month for the Sci Fi Channel's big-ticket miniseries.

The cable network's latest offering, "Legend of Earthsea," drew an average of 3.68 million viewers over its two nights, continuing a string of successful end-of-the-year offerings that also includes the Emmy-winning "Taken" and "Battlestar Galactica."

Based on two books by Ursula K. Le Guin, "Legend of Earthsea" tells the story of a young wizard (Shawn Ashmore, "X2") who embarks on a quest to save the land of Earthsea from tyranny. Danny Glover, Isabella Rossellini and Kristin Kreuk ("Smallville") also star.

The four-hour miniseries debuted Monday (Dec. 13) to an audience of about 3.44 million people, second on all of cable for the night (behind Spike TV's "WWE Raw"). The conclusion on Tuesday improved to just over 3.9 million viewers, and its household rating of 3.4 was the best for any Sci Fi program this year (the premiere of "Stargate: Atlantis" had 4.2 million viewers but only a 3.2 rating).

Its success also breaks a recent string of Sci Fi minis that have failed to live up to the likes of "Taken," which drew more than 5 million people, and "Battlestar Galactica," which brought in more than 4 million and is scheduled to become a weekly series in January. The five-hour "Five Days to Midnight" averaged only 1.7 million viewers in June. October's "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" also failed to crack the 2 million-viewer mark.
                        Last edited by dec55; 15 December 2004, 09:26 PM.
                        Actor:"A zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes, walking around blindly with dead eyes. Following orders." Not knowing what they do, not caring."Bob Hope :" You mean like Democrats?"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWpU8...elated&search=Bob Hope in the movie ghostbreakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Athenaktt
                          I'm still awaiting to see the series, but I guarantee you the books are much much much better. Then again i'm biased...i love any book written by Ursula K. LeGuin.

From what i'm hearing the miniseries isn't that faithful to the book. That may explain some of harsh criticisms as well.
                          As I said before, It's been 20 years since I read those books, but from what I can recall a lot was crunched together for whatever reason. If TPTB wanted to do a more "author friendly" telling it could have easily gone at least one more night. There are many more nuances in the books that help explain some of the parts that were seemingly glossed over...probably due to budget constraints. I won't go into some of the obvious ones because I woud instead encourage you all to read the books for yourseleves.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                            I thought Earthsea was pretty good. Unfortunately, I missed the last half-hour last night cuz I fell asleep! But not to worry. I had the VCR set to record it so I can see what I missed later.
                            Not to worry indeed! SciFi is showing it a couple more times so you'll be able to see it if your VCR had issues

(EST)
                            Thursday, Dec. 16, 2004 - 7:00 PM LEGEND OF EARTHSEA - PART 2
                            Sunday, Dec. 19, 2004 - 7:00 PM LEGEND OF EARTHSEA - PART 1 and PART 2

Despite the hype and my excitement for the series I actually forgot to watch it on Monday. Then I was watching TV on Tuesday and it said the second half was going to be shown... but it was going to be right after an encore of the first half. So it was my lucky day

Signature banner by Lucia Tanaka

Comment

I had no trouble spotting AT, but I must have missed who this Lady Elfarren was and why the students thought it would be so cool to raise her from the dead. She was obviously displeased at being raised. A big no-no.
                              They did explain a bit toward the end, but the whole amulet thing was a bit undeveloped. I got the impression they were compressing a bunch of books and backstories into the 4 hours. To me it was an ok film.

Comment

Hmm... so this is based on two books out of three? Does that mean there's a chance of a sequel?

Anyways, I'm glad this was good, and I hope they do well with Red Mars, too, as that is a book I've read part of... and I may finish eventually...
                                Sheppard and Mitchell: and you were worried they were going to be O'Neill clones?

Two of my favorite shows are about Jonathan Sheppard, assuming Jack is always short for Jonathan. Weird, huh? (Lost and Atlantis)

Comment

Working...
                                X