This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steven Spielberg to Produce Halo Movie?

IESB has posted an interesting scoop saying that Steven Spielberg is in talks to produce Halo: The Fall of Reach, screenwriter Stuart Beattie's adaptation of the Eric Nylund novel that is based on the series of video games. Here's an excerpt from their article:

IESB has learned exclusively (believe me this is solid and I've confirmed it three times over with studio executives and our close ties to CAA) that one of the biggest producers in Hollywood history is currently in active negotiations to develop the feature film adaptation and no it's not Jerry Bruckheimer or Peter Jackson. It's the man behind Jaws, E.T., Indiana Jones and Transformers, Mr. Steven Spielberg.

Spielberg is blown away by writer Stuart Beattie's take on the game in his script entitled HALO THE FALL OF REACH. This coupled with the fact that his Dreamworks umbrella is looking for a big tent pole to help launch their newly independant studio with distribution over at Walt Disney Pictures after losing Transformers to Paramount in the separation, it's the perfect combination
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=57861

Comment

If Steven Speilberg can be "blown away" by a script then that's one of the best things you can hear about a movie in development. If it also gets him onboard to produce, it's something to be excited about indeed.

sigpic

Comment

Won't it be hard to address the fact that we never seen behind the mask of master chief, or hear his voice for that matter?

I'm all for this movie... but look at what they did to Doom. No repeats please.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
          Won't it be hard to address the fact that we never seen behind the mask of master chief, or hear his voice for that matter?

well if its based on fall of reach at least we know its a good story, well you dont need to see behind his mask or any of the other spartans, as for voice i imagine he would have an accent but making up an accent sounds like a bad idea,

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
            well if its based on fall of reach at least we know its a good story, well you dont need to see behind his mask or any of the other spartans, as for voice i imagine he would have an accent but making up an accent sounds like a bad idea,
            We hear the Cheif's voice in the game, WTF... Besides his physical and facial appearance is described in one of the books.
            Brian J. Smith Thunk Thread - New SGU Hottie
            Zachary Quinto Thunk Thread - Sexy/Scary Sylar

Comment

I read about Stuart Beattie taking a crack at the script on the halo movie site, and my gut feel was that as soon as he decided to get involved, something might happen. Microsoft apparently still very much wants to get the movie made - they are seeing the profits Marvel is making on its movies. Peter Jackson still wants to be involved, although I don't know if this news in respect of Stephen means he is no longer in the picture.

The audience for this potential series (I think it could be at least 6 movies if it were to cover all the books currently out) is in my opinion huge. But it wants to see the movies be faithful to the books and games, or at least an adaptation that is really top notch, like Lord of the Rings (perhaps not so overwrought although given all the dying in Halo I guess that might be hard to avoid).

I think they will be able to take enough liberty to show the Chief's face now and then, and the audience will forgive. Besides, we don't see his face in the game, but in the books he is without his armour on many occasions.

Wonder who would play Cortana? Or the Chief? Or the Sarge?

This would be for me the most anticipated movie ever should it come out. I shall pray to Mother Universe daily for its' fruition!!
              ---------------------
              sigpic
              Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

With a Character like Cortana who could very easily be entirely CG (without an actress in makeup on a green screen or something), I think they could get Jen Taylor who is the actual voice of Cortana in the games. I guess the same could be said for most of the Alien/A.I. Characters. Or even the Chief since he'll mostly be in his suit anyway.
                Brian J. Smith Thunk Thread - New SGU Hottie
                Zachary Quinto Thunk Thread - Sexy/Scary Sylar

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
                  has anyone seen landfall its a short live action halo film by Neill Blomkamp- was picked as director for the halo movie its on xbox live or you can download it here http://www.bungie.net/News/content.a...news&cid=12901
                  If he can make it look as good as District 9 it'll be amazing.
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                    If he can make it look as good as District 9 it'll be amazing.
                    Nothing against Neill Blomkamp, but District 9 and Halo are stylistically very different entities. Personally I wasn't particularly impressed when I saw the Landfall shorts. His gritty, documentary-like filmmaking style isn't something that should be employed in a Halo film IMO. Although I appreciate what he tried to achieve with D9, I didn't enjoy the film as much as I expected. A Halo movie adaptation in the same vein won't be something I'll be enthusiastic about.
                    "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gkyun View Post
                      Nothing against Neill Blomkamp, but District 9 and Halo are stylistically very different entities. Personally I wasn't particularly impressed when I saw the Landfall shorts. His gritty, documentary-like filmmaking style isn't something that should be employed in a Halo film IMO. Although I appreciate what he tried to achieve with D9, I didn't enjoy the film as much as I expected. A Halo movie adaptation in the same vein won't be something I'll be enthusiastic about.
                      Well I never said "if he makes it identical to D9, it'll be amazing", just "as good as", in regards to visual effects. I agree a Halo film shouldn't have a documentary style, but it should have amazing special effects, and believable looking aliens, like District 9 did.
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

the initial story of halo such as was involved in fall of reach and the first game is so flat and generic. humans fighting a desperate struggle against religious alien fanatics in the shadow of a dead advanced race who were defeated by a ravenous animalistic enemy (sounds familiar), who would have guessed. the plot of halo 2 and to a lesser extent halo 3 was more interesting and the sad thing is they refuse to continue the story and stick with prequels. i guess people want to see the guy in the green suit blasting away in a cgi-centric movie such as avatar where the plot doesnt really matter as long as it looks nice. still it would be just like a giant video game that you cant play. theyre already making a game that centers around the reach time period, if theyve really hit such a massive story dead end that they cant even expand on it past the end of halo 3 well maybe its time for the franchise or at least the campaign mode to end, its already had a good run.
                        Last edited by asdf1239; 31 March 2010, 11:25 AM.
                        R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

So why had the Halo movie been canned?
                          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                            So why had the Halo movie been canned?
                            I'm not sure it was really canned, it just is in development hell.

Comment

Working...
                            X