Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know of any book similar in style to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy?

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidSky View Post
      Has anyone read "The Empire of the Ice Cream: by Jeffrey Ford? It was on JM blog BOTMC

LS
      I read it a while back. I really only liked two stories from the book--the rest I didn't like at all....

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
      We just read a bunch of Arthurian legends in English class...and I was SOO happy--I'm a King Arthur freak
      Have you read Mary Stewart's trilogy (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment) or Stephen Lawhead's (Taliesin, Merlin, Arthur)?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a few days ago and I must say I don't think it's the best of the series.

I'm now ready "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman. I've only read one other Gaiman book.."Stardust" and was a bit underwhelmed by that. Sorry to all you Gaiman fans.

Comment

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
          Finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a few days ago and I must say I don't think it's the best of the series.

I'm now ready "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman. I've only read one other Gaiman book.."Stardust" and was a bit underwhelmed by that. Sorry to all you Gaiman fans.
          Whaaaaat! Underwhelmed! Hope you like Anansi Boys better.

Comment

I'm not a bit Gaiman fan, either I'm afraid. I loved Deathly Hallows, though--it's my favorite of the series....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Plesantly surprised by Karen Miller's Empress
              sigpic

Comment

Finished Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End yesterday.

Wow. Just ... Wow.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69 View Post
                  Finished Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End yesterday.

Wow. Just ... Wow.

I bought that book recently but haven't read it yet. Good to hear a glowing comment about it. I'll make that my next read for sure.

Comment

I bought that book recently but haven't read it yet. Good to hear a glowing comment about it. I'll make that my next read for sure.
                    I bought it based on a synopsis and it's use of the phrase "breath-taking climax". It was spot on.

It's just insane, I reckon you (and probably most Stargate fans) will love it. I'd be interested to hear your (or anyone else who's read it) opinion of it once you're done!
                    Last edited by Anubis69; 03 November 2008, 03:06 PM.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Sorry to all the non-Gaiman fans...
                      I'm currently reading Gaiman's newest book, The Graveyard Book. It's AMAZING!!
                      "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I'm almost done with Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson. It's the eight book in the A Tale in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It's been constantly exciting ever since Deadhouse Gates, the second book. But now it's building up to a final climax in The Crippled God, the tenth book.

Unfortunately, the ninth book won't be released until next year. But at least I can read the spin-off Return of the Crimson Guard by Ian Cameron Esslemont. His other spin-off, Night of Knives was about as exciting as Steven Erikson's books, so I'm confident that Return of the Crimson Guard will be as good as the main books, especially as it's almost as huge.

Comment

"Stardust" is maybe not the best, but "Anansi Boys" is great. As is, "American Gods". But my personal favourite is "Neverwhere".

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                          Plesantly surprised by Karen Miller's Empress
                          I commented on that novel a page or so back I think.

It was utterly depressing. The main character was horrible, insane, and so unbelievably self-centered.

But I couldn't put the book down, so I guess that says something. I'm trying to talk myself out of reading the sequel. I don't think it'll work.
                          sigpic

Comment

I already like Anansi Boys much better than Stardust.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                              "Stardust" is maybe not the best, but "Anansi Boys" is great. As is, "American Gods". But my personal favourite is "Neverwhere".

I commented on that novel a page or so back I think.

It was utterly depressing. The main character was horrible, insane, and so unbelievably self-centered.

But I couldn't put the book down, so I guess that says something. I'm trying to talk myself out of reading the sequel. I don't think it'll work.
                              Definitely not the happiest book I've ever read.
                              sigpic

Comment

Just finished Little Brother by Cory Doctrow, which is absolutely fantastic, it has the TG gold star recommendation (very high honour, I promise).

And finished the second Bone volume- these are so adorable, I can't believe I haven't read them before!

And just to tie it in to the conversation, both books have a Neil Gaiman recommendation blurb on the cover. How the frak does the guy have time to write? He blurbs so many books!

Comment

Working...
                                X