Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have made it through about half the pages through this thread so far, and am quite enjoying all the choices. It is interesting though that so many are newer fiction and not many classics, although I ran across at least one other person who listed E.E. Doc Smith Lensman series, and it does not get much earlier then that. They were so far ahead of their time - I dont think any earlier writer dreamed of space battles and trans system flight that I recall. They had such an impact on me in my own youth and still are memorable today as a result.

For myself, I have been reading sci-fi for a long time and I am really hard pressed to come up with a definitive list, but here are some personal favourites of all time - I restricted myself to one from each author but most are in fact series and if I liked one I almost certainly own the entire series:

Forever War - Joe Haldeman
    Cities in Flight - James Blish
    Rendevous with Rama - Arthur C Clarke
    Voyage of the Space Beagle - A E Van Vogt
    Galactic Empire Series - Isaac Asimov
    The Space Merchants - Frederick Pohl
    To Your Scattered Bodies Go - Phillp Jose Farmer
    Lord Foul's Bane - Stephen R Donaldson (ok all 6 books of the 1st & 2nd trilogies)
    Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert Henlein
    The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula Le Guin
    Mote in Gods Eye - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
    This Immortal - Roger Zelazny (and Also the whole Chronicles of Amber Series)
    Tarnsman of Gor - John Lange (aka John Norman)
    A Call to Arms - Jerry Pournelle

These are amongst the books that made sci-fi memorable for me and reading my usual favorite pastime. The worst thing is as I was doing this list I realised I hardly even started to scratch the surface of my favorites.

Modern Sci-fi would be shorter and easier:

Honor Harrington series - David Weber
    Starfire Series - David Weber and Steve White
    Empire of Man Series - David Weber and John Ringo
    Legacy of Aldenata Series - John Ringo
    Vorkosigan Saga - Lois McMaster Bujold (I LOVE THIS SERIES)
    Halo Series - various authors

Thus my enthusiasm for series such as Battlestar Galactica and Space Above and Beyond becomes apparent - I tend to favour military or action oriented Scifi.

Just writing this makes me want to grab a book from my library to read!
    ---------------------
    sigpic
    Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

i'm coming to the end of John Scalzi's Old man's war. it's pretty good military sci fi fluff, very easy to read, but lacks the depth of things like forever war, or dread empire's fall.
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

I'm reading Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds.

Comment

did you like chasm city FA?
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
            did you like chasm city FA?
            I did!

Comment

FINALLY saw the Coraline movie. It was AMAZING.
              "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
              sigpic
              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

awesome, well, enjoy redempion ark, it's one of my favourites
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                Quotes!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Care View Post
                  If you like the SoT series so much, you should give the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan a try.
                  I tried listening to WOT a while back on audio book and gave up after about 3 chapters or so. The madeup names and places were too much for me and I got very confused by the story, so I never went back to the series. I have since started reading "Eye of the World" this time and it's been pretty good thru the first 20 chapters.

Comment

Just checked out The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson...I started A Great and Terrible Beauty, but I had to return it
                    sigpic
                    Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Well it took a week but I finally the first two books of WOT.

Comment

Just saw Coraline again...this time in 3-D
                        Now I seriously have to finish reading The Graveyard Book...
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Just saw Coraline again...this time in 3-D
                          Now I seriously have to finish reading The Graveyard Book...
                          sigpic
                          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Anybody here ever read American Gods? If so was it any good because ive heard that it was epic?

Comment

I just read Death's Head by David Gunn, I think I will enjoy the balance of the series.
                              ---------------------
                              sigpic
                              Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

Originally posted by MartianManhunter View Post
                                Anybody here ever read American Gods? If so was it any good because ive heard that it was epic?
                                Haven't read it, but since I'm a Gaiman fan, I plan to...
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X