Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to admit, childish as they can be, the Artemis Fowl books are something... but Holly/Foaly are clearly the best characters in the entire series
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
      I had mine reserved a century ago, then had my dad go and get it ... in the rain.

That's probably because it was so darn bad compared to the others.
      Now that sounds like a great plan.

Originally posted by Kezia View Post
      That always happens to me.

Which is why I'm heading down to the bookstore tomorrow to buy it.

Agreed...
      Bah. I'm too stingy to buy it. They've probably ordered a dozen copies and will make it a two week loan so once it's processed in about a month I'll get it in.....six weeks. But maybe nice people will return it early.

Errrr.....actually no, they've ordered six copies.....I'll get it in twelve weeks! *sigh* Ah well, I've waited longer for stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by MartianManhunter View Post
        Is The Dragon Riders of Pern really all that it's rumored to be?
        Short answer--YES!

Longer answer--There's a reason Anne McCaffrey's Pern books are so popular. They have compelling characters, an interesting premise, and a well-written plot. I will admit that the earlier books are the best (with The White Dragon being my absolute favorite), but All The Weyrs of Pern wraps the story up nicely. The books after that aren't quite as good, but still more enjoyable than a lot of the fantasy and science fiction that's out there. Her Dragonsinger trilogy written for young adults is also quite good.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
          Short answer--YES!

Longer answer--There's a reason Anne McCaffrey's Pern books are so popular. They have compelling characters, an interesting premise, and a well-written plot. I will admit that the earlier books are the best (with The White Dragon being my absolute favorite), but All The Weyrs of Pern wraps the story up nicely. The books after that aren't quite as good, but still more enjoyable than a lot of the fantasy and science fiction that's out there. Her Dragonsinger trilogy written for young adults is also quite good.
          I see, i see, thank you for that bit of information. It definitely sounds interesting and anything with dragons in it is always good to me.

Comment

I highly recommend at least the Dragonsinger trilogy, it's what got me into the series. Short read too!

(A Pern TV series by Ron Moore would have been awesome! )

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
              I highly recommend at least the Dragonsinger trilogy, it's what got me into the series. Short read too!

(A Pern TV series by Ron Moore would have been awesome! )
              Shhh, don't say that, then we might never have gotten BSG.

But yes, it would have been awesome.

Comment

Anybody read "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel"?
                || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Originally posted by WingedPegasus View Post
                  Anybody read "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel"?
                  No, but it's on my list.

Comment

There are some great new science fiction novels coming out later this year. Here are some of the ones you might want to check out.....

Star Wars: The Clone Wars by Karen Traviss - Out July 26th

Mass Effect: Ascension by Drew Karpyshyn - Out July 29th

Stargate Atlantis: Mirror, Mirror
                    by Sabine C. Bauer - Out August 1st

Sly Mongoose
                    by Tobias S. Buckell - Out August 19th

Star Wars: Republic Commando - Order 66 by Karen Traviss - Out September 15th

Gears of War: The Battle of Aspho Fields
                    by Karen Traviss - Out October 28th

Halo: The Cole Protocol by Tobias S. Buckell - Out Novemeber 25th

These all promise to be great novels, so check 'em out and keep on reading!
                    Steve, Bob and Todd. What chummy guys!

Comment

and we have a thriving thread in the merchandise section for this line of books, so please take the conversation there
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by A Wraith Named Bob View Post
                        There are some great new science fiction novels coming out later this year. Here are some of the ones you might want to check out.....

Star Wars: The Clone Wars by Karen Traviss - Out July 26th

Mass Effect: Ascension by Drew Karpyshyn - Out July 29th

Stargate Atlantis: Mirror, Mirror
                        by Sabine C. Bauer - Out August 1st

Sly Mongoose
                        by Tobias S. Buckell - Out August 19th

Star Wars: Republic Commando - Order 66 by Karen Traviss - Out September 15th

Gears of War: The Battle of Aspho Fields
                        by Karen Traviss - Out October 28th

Halo: The Cole Protocol by Tobias S. Buckell - Out Novemeber 25th

These all promise to be great novels, so check 'em out and keep on reading!
                        do you lioke karen traviss, and books based on games by any chance....

the only books i'm looking forward to this year ate Ashes of Worlds by Kevin J Anderson, and The Temporal Void by Peter F Hamilton
                        Spoiler:
                        Disclaimer:
                        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                        Quotes!
                        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                          do you lioke karen traviss, and books based on games by any chance....

the only books i'm looking forward to this year ate Ashes of Worlds by Kevin J Anderson, and The Temporal Void by Peter F Hamilton
                          I tend to read books based off of video games because I know I like the setting and events in the universe. It allows me to expand my video game experience and also discover new authors that I may not have read if I saw their other books on a shelf in a bookstore.
                          Steve, Bob and Todd. What chummy guys!

Comment

Originally posted by A Wraith Named Bob View Post
                            I tend to read books based off of video games because I know I like the setting and events in the universe. It allows me to expand my video game experience and also discover new authors that I may not have read if I saw their other books on a shelf in a bookstore.
                            that's the reason i like to read long books or series, i just don't play a lot of video games these days.
                            Spoiler:
                            Disclaimer:
                            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                            Quotes!
                            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                            sigpic

Comment

I just finished Contact Harvest (took a long break a month back). Now it's back to my scifi/fantasy list, which includes Dune, Frankenstein, Starship Troopers, LotR, the works.
                              All while I wait religiously for a Dance with Dragons.
                              Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                              The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                              A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                              That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                              Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                              Caboose: They could be worse?
                              Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
                                All while I wait religiously for a Dance with Dragons.
                                *sigh* The wait.....

Just started "The Night Watch" by Sergei Lukyanenko.

Comment

Working...
                                X