Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
    Don't know Cattulus, I can't read poetry, not to my taste, too much subtlety involved and over my head.

Yea, now looking at it, it is pretty memorable. I'm about halfway through, where he encounters ghouls.
    I'm not too big into poetry either , but i like some of edgar allen poe's poems.
    sigpic

Comment

recommend Neal asher great sci wriiter
      now my brothers in arms,, i stand before you now, like our for father did in the heed of battel,let us take the steel and our honor to victory

Comment

Originally posted by lommit View Post
        recommend Neal asher great sci wriiter
        What did he write?
        sigpic

Comment

Don't know Cattulus, I can't read poetry, not to my taste, too much subtlety involved and over my head.

Yea, now looking at it, it is pretty memorable. I'm about halfway through, where he encounters ghouls.
          He is witty and snarky much of the time, a very good read.
          sigpic

Comment

Can someone recommend something fun to read, i havent had a particularly fun day , i need something light and fun to read to take my mind off stuff
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
              Can someone recommend something fun to read, i havent had a particularly fun day , i need something light and fun to read to take my mind off stuff
              I suppose Roald Dahl is always a fun read, light and funny. And extremely quick. Read Matilda, you'll like it. If you liked that, read some of his other works, that recent Fantastic Mr. Fox movie was based on one of his short stories. I read that when I was a kid. Jerry Spinneli is a decent author of fun stuff. Think Judy Blume as well, forget her name and some of her works. And as always, Bernstein Bears, lol, I know. I liked them for some reason.

Adult stuff, uh, I don't know. They're usually adult themed fun. Hmmm, something to think about, can't believe I can't think of any adult fun reads. Wow.

Comment

I suppose Roald Dahl is always a fun read, light and funny. And extremely quick. Read Matilda, you'll like it. If you liked that, read some of his other works, that recent Fantastic Mr. Fox movie was based on one of his short stories. I read that when I was a kid. Jerry Spinneli is a decent author of fun stuff. Think Judy Blume as well, forget her name and some of her works. And as always, Bernstein Bears, lol, I know. I liked them for some reason.

Adult stuff, uh, I don't know. They're usually adult themed fun. Hmmm, something to think about, can't believe I can't think of any adult fun reads. Wow.
                maybe i will read a kids book lol. I know i have matilda, and james and the giant peach, cuz i read those in elementary school, and i have a lot of judy blume from back then too. i keep all my books lol. I just know i wont be reading tuck everlasting, i loved that book but it always depressed me.
                sigpic

Comment

Read Dahl's short stories though, really clever, fun reads. Try Maniac Mcgee by Spinelli, I remember liking it back then. Or better yet, Stardust. I remember liking Hardy Boys (even a few Nancy Drew) and The Hobbit back then, yes I know, you can laugh at me, whatever.

The Road was great even though it was depressing and dark. You'll finish it in like two hours. I can see why it won the Pulitzer or some literary award.

Comment

Read Dahl's short stories though, really clever, fun reads. Try Maniac Mcgee by Spinelli, I remember liking it back then. Or better yet, Stardust. I remember liking Hardy Boys (even a few Nancy Drew) and The Hobbit back then, yes I know, you can laugh at me, whatever.

The Road was great even though it was depressing and dark. You'll finish it in like two hours. I can see why it won the Pulitzer or some literary award.
                    lol i was thinking about nancy drew before i read this cuz i have those too and always enjoyed reading those, and was trying to decide which one. James Howe is also good and very funny from what i recall, so i might read some of those too since they don't take long to read. I have so many books of all kinds. i've been really into buying and reading books since i was 7 and ive always kept them.

OOO the phantom tollbooth, that one is good too, just found that one again lol.
                    sigpic

Comment

So, I hate to mention this, but I'm actually deciding to kill myself by forcing myself to read all the Twilight books. Why, you say? I'm curious and I also want to claim that I actually know what I'm talking about if I get into an argument with a Twihard xD

But honestly, it's not horrible. But...not good either. The first book was seriously THE MOST BORING BOOK I HAVE EVER READ. NOTHING HAPPENED. Meyer really has no concept of character development. What I really hated was that she gave each of the Cullens an amazingly interesting backstory but then did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with that information. It was the only interesting part of the entire book!!! *headdesk*

I really don't understand why people are so obsessed with it. I mean...Edward started out okay, but Meyer's writing just failed to develop him and she ended up turning him into an emo stalker. O_o

I'd rather the series be about Alice. Alice was awesome. Bella was stupid; Meyer didn't even TRY to make her interesting
                      "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Anyone familiar with Warhammer 40k should probably look into the Horus Heresy books, a good read IMO. It actually remind me of the LOTR trilogy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                          So, I hate to mention this, but I'm actually deciding to kill myself by forcing myself to read all the Twilight books. Why, you say? I'm curious and I also want to claim that I actually know what I'm talking about if I get into an argument with a Twihard xD

But honestly, it's not horrible. But...not good either. The first book was seriously THE MOST BORING BOOK I HAVE EVER READ. NOTHING HAPPENED. Meyer really has no concept of character development. What I really hated was that she gave each of the Cullens an amazingly interesting backstory but then did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with that information. It was the only interesting part of the entire book!!! *headdesk*

I really don't understand why people are so obsessed with it. I mean...Edward started out okay, but Meyer's writing just failed to develop him and she ended up turning him into an emo stalker. O_o

I'd rather the series be about Alice. Alice was awesome. Bella was stupid; Meyer didn't even TRY to make her interesting
                          You are really going to read all of them? I barely made it through the first one and I prayed that Bella would die, and than well Eddie sparkled and Bella kept on living and the book went on for too long. I now ridicule all my Twilight loving friends. There is no mercy.
                          sigpic

Comment

I tried to read the first one cause couple of my "girl" friends were raving about it. Wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I couldn't get through the first chapter. She has a cry and was planning on having a bigger cry later that night. She planned her crying sessions. Be back, I just puked a little.

I'm sure though it appeals to teenage going through puberty girls and some others infatuated with the vampires and whatnot.

Comment

I forced myself through it. It wasn't as bad doing that as I thought it would be, but it was still SO BORING

The thing that's even sadder than the Bella & Edward lack-of-plot is that all of the Cullens actually had INTERESTING back stories (who woulda thunk? ). BUT MEYER DID NOTHING WITH THEM. Edward just mentions them and then it's like the information wasn't even important. THE BACK STORIES WERE THE ONLY COOL THING ABOUT THE ENTIRE BOOK!! I was so mad. I seriously want the series to be about Alice Cullen. She is actually awesome and would be very interesting to read about, but brainwashed fangirls don't care about plot AT ALL
                              "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                              sigpic
                              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post

Skimmed through the twilight books because i couldnt bring myself to actually read them all the way through. i dont like the authors writing style, and find the characters annoying, i find the movies more entertaining than the books and thats not saying much
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X