Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Girlbot, yes, in fact if you go back probably many pages ago in this thread, they appear on my list of best all time scifi and fantasy books that I posted! Glad you also enjoyed them, that almost certainy implies that you are an educated, cultured, discerning, intelligent and beautiful person, worthy of praise and honour. So I will give you some green for possessing the aforementioned qualities!

Hi Iffy! I can see you are viewing this thread, so say something!
    Last edited by Espeon1962; 29 August 2009, 05:55 PM.
    ---------------------
    sigpic
    Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

Originally posted by Supreme Commander Sil View Post
      Hey! *evil glare*
      *Tolstoy nerd !!!!*
      Just in case there were fans of the Night Watch Trilogy here, I started a thread http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=68697

Has anyone read the Stargate books? They look good. Personally, I've read the first book of the Alias series, and quite enjoyed it !!! (Haven't watched s1 yet !!!!!)
      I like Tolstoy.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
        Brandon Sanderson equals awesome. "Mistborn" isn't even my favorite of his novels, though the trilogy is excellent; you should seriously consider checking out "Warbreaker," which is his latest novel (my personal favorite). "Elantris" was solid for a debut novel, as well, if you haven't read that. If you just can't wait, Brandon also provides commentary on his novels (chapter by chapter) on his website. And the fact that he's finishing "The Wheel of Time" just makes him that much more awesome. He's just indescribably awesome.
        Yes, I started Warbreaker on his website, but I wanted to read the edited version so I stopped. My bookstore doesn't have any of his books. I requested them though and always tell people that work there to look out for him. I find his writing style similar to Jordan's, but obviously different as well. I can understand why Harriet chose him to finish WoT. He is so very talented. I'm a regular frequenter on his website, and I follow his posts on Facebook.

I always read Jason's reviews of the books, but this one was special. I am trying to keep away from him (internet wise, I don't live close to him) so I don't ask any questions. I really don't want to know, but I so badly do, lol. He'd probably just say "read and find out" like R.J. anyway.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Care View Post
          Yes, I started Warbreaker on his website, but I wanted to read the edited version so I stopped. My bookstore doesn't have any of his books. I requested them though and always tell people that work there to look out for him. I find his writing style similar to Jordan's, but obviously different as well. I can understand why Harriet chose him to finish WoT. He is so very talented. I'm a regular frequenter on his website, and I follow his posts on Facebook.
          I read a couple of the earlier versions after I had completed "Warbreaker" just to get an idea of the differences. I didn't want to spoil the final version either. It was well worth the wait.

Brandon is number two on my list of favorite authors; as such, I too frequent his website on a regular basis. I'm curious to see how Brandon handles his own epic series, "The Way of Kings," which I'm sure you've seen announced on his site.

Originally posted by Care
          I always read Jason's reviews of the books, but this one was special. I am trying to keep away from him (internet wise, I don't live close to him) so I don't ask any questions. I really don't want to know, but I so badly do, lol. He'd probably just say "read and find out" like R.J. anyway.
          I've tried to avoid most of "The Wheel of Time" information (and Brandon has been very good about keeping it under wraps), but he posted that damn link to the review, and I had this moment of weakness, and...

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
            I like Tolstoy.
            The Cossaks was an awesome book ... There should be a Sci-fi movie made loosely//strongly based on War and Peace ..
            Sci-fi versions of random things are cool

Comment

Spoiler:
              The Cossaks was an awesome book ... There should be a Sci-fi movie made loosely//strongly based on War and Peace ..

Anna Karinenna on the moon.
              sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

ROFL!!!
                "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                sigpic
                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                  ROFL!!!
                  She can toss herself under a rocket or space herself? Maybe?
                  sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

HHHHHHHHHHaaahahhahahhahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! *dies*!!!

Comment

I've tried to avoid most of "The Wheel of Time" information (and Brandon has been very good about keeping it under wraps), but he posted that damn link to the review, and I had this moment of weakness, and...
                      I kind of don't have a choice about avoiding news info or any WoT info, but I know what you mean.

And thanks for the Artemis Fowl ratings too. I will eventually get around to reading more of them. Not sure when, I have so many books to read...
                      sigpic

Comment

I kind of don't have a choice about avoiding news info or any WoT info, but I know what you mean.
                        I have so many things I want to be out that aren't. It's a wonder I haven't gone crazy yet. I'm almost to the point of just caving completely and hunting down any and all news.

And thanks for the Artemis Fowl ratings too. I will eventually get around to reading more of them. Not sure when, I have so many books to read...
                        Yup. I'd have so many books to read if more than half of them were actually out. Have I mentioned that yet?

Comment

Yup. I'd have so many books to read if more than half of them were actually out. Have I mentioned that yet?
                          Do you have a goodreads account? It's my new addiction. I have found so many awesome series that I probably wouldn't even have known existed without it.

Mine is: www.goodreads.com/care76 I have 83 books on my to-be-read list and there are lots of books that will be coming out I haven't added yet.
                          Last edited by Care; 01 September 2009, 06:19 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Do you have a goodreads account? It's my new addiction. I have found so many awesome series that I probably wouldn't even have known existed without it.
                            I do not.

Mine is: www.goodreads.com/care76 I have 83 books on my to-be-read list and there are lots of books that will be coming out I haven't added yet.
                            83, huh? Sounds like you have some work to do.

My list is significantly shorter. I suspect that has something to do with just how picky I am though.

Comment

^^LOL. Yeah, it should take me a while to read them. I have bought 8 in the last week and read 5 1/2 so far... I think I read at least 25 books in the past two months, I read more in the summer though. If you like to read, you should get a goodreads account. It's kind of like facebook, but for books.

For anybody in the U.S.; www.amazon.com has a 4 for 3 book deal going on. And you still get the deal if you order say 8 or 12 books. I am going to order 8 (possibly more) and in my cart it showed the same discount, 2 books for free.
                              sigpic

Comment

^^LOL. Yeah, it should take me a while to read them. I have bought 8 in the last week and read 5 1/2 so far... I think I read at least 25 books in the past two months, I read more in the summer though.
                                I bought five new books (all I had available) with me to college--finished one, started another, but only on chapter two.

If you like to read, you should get a goodreads account. It's kind of like facebook, but for books.
                                Maybe. I don't really use facebook or myspace as it is. The only reason I have an account for the latter is because my sister made me one. But yeah, I haven't been on it since last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X