Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
    I know what you mean--A Wrinkle in Time is my favorite book of all time. I'm bummed that we won't read any more about those characters--I felt there was so much more to their adventures that we never heard beyond the few books she wrote about them....
    Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
    What! This is the first I'd heard that she died. I just happen to have a copy of "A Wrinkle in Time" beside me.....
    Oh, wow. I hadn't even thought of that book, much less read it, since....um....10th grade English class? 7 years ago, something like that.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Oh, wow. I hadn't even thought of that book, much less read it, since....um....10th grade English class? 7 years ago, something like that.
      Grade ten English? We read it in grade six or seven.....and I've probably re-read it at least two or three times since then.

Comment

I think I read it in 7th grade as well.

ETA: I'm on a sequel binge this week. I'm reading Rebel Angels by Libba Bray (sequel to A Great and Terrible Beauty). I like the way she writes, but I'm pulled out of the story by a few anachronisms. She should know better.... I'm also reading Jennifer Scales and the Messenger of Light by Mary Davidson and Anthony Alongi. And, finally, I'm reading Candlestone by Bryan Davis.
        Last edited by warmbeachbrat; 22 April 2008, 05:47 PM.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Well, no-one said the Ontario education system was top-notch

Besides that I was on the front end of a completely reworked cirriculum so none of the teachers ever had any idea wtf they were doing...
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I absolutely love The Giver by Lois Lowry. A lot of people found it boring, but I think it's because most of my 8th grade class didn't really appreciate the message it was trying to convey. In fact, some parts of that book and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury are so close to things going on today that it terrifies me
            "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Well, no-one said the Ontario education system was top-notch

Besides that I was on the front end of a completely reworked cirriculum so none of the teachers ever had any idea wtf they were doing...
              Poor teachers.....they don't much like governments. Always changing things every couple years.
              Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
              I absolutely love The Giver by Lois Lowry. A lot of people found it boring, but I think it's because most of my 8th grade class didn't really appreciate the message it was trying to convey. In fact, some parts of that book and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury are so close to things going on today that it terrifies me
              That book is amazing, I've probably read it a dozen times (We read it in grade seven as well.....that was a good year for books. ). My copy is practically in shreds it's been so well loved. At age 12 that book solidified my goal to become a writer. Dreams haven't changed.....

The audio book read by Ron Rifkin is worth a listen as well.

Comment

I just began reading Prince Caspian again in honor of the upcoming movie. I can't wait! 18 more days!!
                sigpic
                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

read pushing ice

"we push ice, it's what we do"
                  Spoiler:
                  "(we also occasionally chase alien spacecraft disguised as moons of saturn)"
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                  - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

Started reading a new novel: "The Name of the Wind," by Patrick Rothfuss. Pretty good stuff -- the world's most nortorious magacian, both hero and villain, recounts his life story.

I'm not that far in, but book/day one of the Kingkiller Chronicle hasn't disappointed.

Comment

Most of you have probably seen the movie The Wizard of Oz, but how many of you guys have read the book? It's AMAZING. And SO different from the movie. But you MUST MUST read it, it's so good
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                        Most of you have probably seen the movie The Wizard of Oz, but how many of you guys have read the book? It's AMAZING. And SO different from the movie. But you MUST MUST read it, it's so good
                        Sorry haven't read it, and can't cause those flying monkey images will haunt me.
                        no means no, and so does pepper spray
                        Sig by The Carpenter
                        sigpic

Comment

Never read "The Wizard of Oz". I was never sure if I liked the movie or not.

Recently read a graphic novel called "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi which is excellent and has my full recommendation- has anyone seen the movie?

Also currently reading "Ysabel" by Canadian fantasy author Guy Gavriel Kay, which I'm really enjoying so far, about half way through. I definitely want to read more of his stuff.

I've been feeling guilty- I was looking through my reading list and realized that I haven't read anything by a Canadian author in over two years! (except for a Mordecai Richler book for school and a Jane Austin biography by Carol Shields)

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos View Post
                            Started reading a new novel: "The Name of the Wind," by Patrick Rothfuss. Pretty good stuff -- the world's most nortorious magacian, both hero and villain, recounts his life story.

I'm not that far in, but book/day one of the Kingkiller Chronicle hasn't disappointed.
                            I finished it yesterday. Couldn't put it down, can't wait for the sequel. Now that's the definition of a great book! Highly recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                              I finished it yesterday. Couldn't put it down, can't wait for the sequel. Now that's the definition of a great book! Highly recommended!
                              I just about died when I found out that was his debut novel. Very impressive. I couldn't put it down either.

And I loved Bast. Awesome!

So can't wait for "The Wise Man's Fear."

Comment

I just started reading A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin today. I only finished the first chapter, but it's really good!

I'm also re-reading The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, even though the movie won't come out until May 7, 2010
                                sigpic
                                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X