Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
    It was written in 1966, surely you can make one or two allowances.
    And I did, still doesn't change the fact that those things bothered me. It wasn't that the technology predictions were wrong, it was more stuff like the effect of weightlessness on humans, orbital mechanics and such. And as I said, I thought the book was very good

I always try to read old sci-fi books with an open mind, if you don't do that then there is almost no chance of you enjoying reading them.

Comment

Got from the campus library...

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams
      The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett
      sigpic
      Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
        I have. I'm reading it now. He just went thru the first gate. Fascinating premise.
        update?

Comment

also, currently really enjoying Daemon

Comment

Finished reading "Fuzzy Nation" by John Scalzi.

Next up is "Rise of Empire" by Michael Sullivan.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
              update?
              I finished it. I found it a fascinating concept. I knew more about the games and references than I thought I would. It was fun to see them crop up and I could identify them. I did google and get the context of some of the others, but it wouldn't have been necessary to enjoy the story, just wanted to do it for myself. I highly reccomend it to anyone, and I have loaned the book to a friend. Loved the ending.
              Spoiler:
              Apparently the moral of the story is that RL isn't really that bad
              no means no, and so does pepper spray
              Sig by The Carpenter
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                I finished it. I found it a fascinating concept. I knew more about the games and references than I thought I would. It was fun to see them crop up and I could identify them. I did google and get the context of some of the others, but it wouldn't have been necessary to enjoy the story, just wanted to do it for myself. I highly reccomend it to anyone, and I have loaned the book to a friend. Loved the ending.
                Spoiler:
                Apparently the moral of the story is that RL isn't really that bad
                excellent.
                glad you liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                  excellent.
                  glad you liked it.
                  Thanks for recommending it.
                  Sig by The Carpenter
                  sigpic

Comment

Anyone else read Wicked by Gregory Maguire? I just started it and seem to be having a hard time getting into it.

Comment

The Technologists.
                      Takes place in 1868. I liked the book
                      Sig by The Carpenter
                      sigpic

Comment

I've also picked up Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams from the campus library. My beach book for break.
                        sigpic
                        Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Currently re-reading "Whispers Under Ground" by Ben Aaronovitch.

Third book in the "Rivers of London" series. Half urban fantasy, half police procedural.

A fourth book "Broken Homes" is due out in a couple of months time.
                          sigpic
                          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I'm waiting for the next 'Honor Harrington' novel. I know it's due out soon.
                            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                            To thy own self... Be true
                            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
                              I'm waiting for the next 'Honor Harrington' novel. I know it's due out soon.
                              How many of them are there now? Twenty? Thirty?
                              sigpic
                              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                                How many of them are there now? Twenty? Thirty?
                                At the moment there are...

13/14 novels with Honor Harrington
                                5 short story compilation books (Each containing a Honor Harrington Short story which tie in with the main novels)
                                2 Saganami Island Novels. ( Which tie in with events in the later main novels )
                                2 or 3 'Honorverse' novels

2 'Young adult' novels
                                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                                To thy own self... Be true
                                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Working...
                                X