Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Starfist, what's your take on this whole "Games Workshop are trying to copyright and trademark the term Space Marine" business then?
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      So, Starfist, what's your take on this whole "Games Workshop are trying to copyright and trademark the term Space Marine" business then?
      To be honest I wasn't aware that Games Workshop are trying to copyright and trademark the term 'Space Marine'. But they'll have a very good try. I doubt they'll get the 'rights'.
      As the term was used well before WH40K was on the scene. The earliest instance being in 1932.
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
        To be honest I wasn't aware that Games Workshop are trying to copyright and trademark the term 'Space Marine'. But they'll have a very good try. I doubt they'll get the 'rights'.
        As the term was used well before WH40K was on the scene. The earliest instance being in 1932.
        My thoughts exactly.

Any judge with an ounce of common sense will throw the case out as a waste of time.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

I agree. A judge hopefully throw the case out.

It would be like CBS/Paramount trying to trade mark the terms Starship and Starfleet.
          And I know those terms have been used well before a certain franchise got hold of them.
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
            Finished reading "Spellbound" by Blake Charlton, good book and I will definitely read the next one in the series when it comes out (in paperback ).

Next up is "Proven Guilty" by Jim Butcher.

Finally got around to ordering "A Memory of light" by Jordan & Sanderson, I´m really looking forward to finishing reading this series after more then a decade

Other books in the order:

Fuzzy Nation - John Scalzi
            The moon is a harsh Mistress - Rober Heinlein
            Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny
            The Kingdom Of Gods - N. K. Jemisin
            fuzzy nation is excellent, and so much better than little fuzzies.

Comment

Just finished 'the Strain' by Guillermo del Toro and Hogan. Fairl good although there doesn't seem to be that much of del Toro's amazing storytelling in it. The mythology and scope is very good though. I enjoyed it

Also recently read 'Slated' by Teri Terry (seriously that's her name) on a recommendation from io9.com. Nice Orwellian feel to it with the dangerous government in Britain in the not so distant future. Typical teen girl angst though but doesn't feel too much like Twilight
              Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

I finished the Wheel of Time series and must say it has become one of my favorite series. Very well done, I hope there will be future spin-off series but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
                sigpic

Comment

Finished Quicksliver by Neal Stephenson and The DaVinci Code.
                  sigpic

Comment

Finished reading "Proven Guilty" by Jim Butcher.

Haven't decided what to read next, will probably be either "The Demolished man" by Alfred Bester or book 2 of the Riyria Revelations "Rise of Empire" by Michael J. Sullivan.

Comment

A clash of kings
                      sigpic

Comment

Time Traveler's never Die

Red Shirts
                        no means no, and so does pepper spray
                        Sig by The Carpenter
                        sigpic

Comment

so no one has taken my advice and started Ready Player One?

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                            so no one has taken my advice and started Ready Player One?
                            Forgot all about it, will have to try to remember it for when I next order books.

Finished reading "The Demolished Man" by Alfred Bester. Good book and apparently the first book to win the Hugo award. Another tidbit about it that might interest Babylon 5 fan is that the psy corps in that show are in part inspired by this book and the main psy villain is named after the author

Decided to re-read a book I haven't read in over 15 years next. It's name is "The Cyborg and the Sorcerers" by Lawrance Watt-Evans. I remember really enjoying it as a kid so hopefully it will have aged well.

Comment

I just started Beautiful Creatures....I see there is a movie coming out and wanted to check it out....

Comment

Now reading "Boneshaker" by Cherie Priest.

First novel in the Clockwork Century series. Set in a Steampunk version of Seattle in the mid-19th century.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X