Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ You just hit it and it flies.

I am now re-readig Ties of Power.
    sigpic

Comment

Question for everyone: I'm just coming to the end of Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds and I've really enjoyed it but I was wondering if it's worth continuing with the series? Any answers are appreciated
      Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

It's worth going on. I've read nearly everything that Alastair Reynolds has written and it's all been good though I'll admit that I thought the third book in that series was a bit disappointing.

Comment

To Trade the Stars.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm currently reading...

The Outcast Dead by Graham McNeil. One of The Horus Heresy series.
            Set in the WH40k universe.
            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
            To thy own self... Be true
            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
              It's worth going on. I've read nearly everything that Alastair Reynolds has written and it's all been good though I'll admit that I thought the third book in that series was a bit disappointing.
              Cheers for that. I will watch out for the third one
              Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

I'm reading this great fantasy book called 'Ready Player One'.
                It's set a few decades into the future when the world has gone to crap and pretty much everyone is playing a virtual reality MMO game called the OASIS, where you can do just about anything providing you have the funds, with thousands of planets to explore.
                The game's billionaire creator dies with no heirs but just before he dies, he hides an 'easter egg' somewhere in the game. Whoever finds it gets his fortune and the rights to the game.
                Now, this guy was obsessed with old video games and movies, mostly from the '80s, and other '80s culture. So the clues to the prize are references to these things, so everyone's researching them, even though it's the 2040s, to work out the puzzles.

So it's part futuristic, part '80s trip. You can really get your geek on with this one. I'm only about half way through it, but I really recommend it.

Ready Player One on Goodreads.
                "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

That book has an extremely high rating in relation to the number of people who have actually read it, and in such a short amount of time too. That's quite unusual for a fantasy novel. I wonder how come I haven't heard of it till now.

Comment

Finished reading "Stealing Light" by Gary Gibson. Good book and I´m heading straight into reading the second book of the trilogy

Comment

Just started reading The City & The City by China Mieville.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm reading 'Deliverance Lost' by Gav Thorpe. A Warhammer 40K novel.
                        It's one of 'The Horus Heresy' series.
                        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                        To thy own self... Be true
                        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Cold Magic by Kate Elliot
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm on the last few pages of the Unincorporated Man by Dani Kollin. Very interesting read. I'm also 60 pages into Ship Breaker. Pacing has been fast and the story mildly interesting, but it hasn't passed my 25 page rule for me to consider it to be a potentially good book.

Comment

Confessions of a Jane Austin Addict.
                              sigpic

Comment

I recently gave up on Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. I like my sci-fi exciting and space-based, and when the book became a questionable theological treatise about halfway through I just ran out of steam. Heinlein's a very good author though. To fill the void left by Stranger, I've commenced Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card. So far, so good.
                                In related news, Ender's Game (also by Card) is finally going to be a movie!
                                sigpic
                                Sig and avi by yamiinsane

Comment

Working...
                                X