Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dresden Files (spoilers for all episodes)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I liked Bob. (Looks nervously at ShadowMaat) Must be because it's Terrence Mann and because I haven't read the books yet. Yes, it was fluff, but it was better fluff that I expected. I'll give it a few more episodes and see how it goes.

Helena
    sigpic

Selmak.Org ~ A website dedicated to a Snarky Symbiote & Her Boy Toys.
    Sel's Memorial to Don Davis.

Comment

I'm with most everyone: meh.

I'm hoping that wasn't the pilot because parts just did not make sense. Who is the angry red haired lady able to make the blond lady jealous? It's the fact that after an hour of watching and I don't know a single name besides the main character (before reading about Bob online), that I realize I just so don't care about this show.

I don't hate it; I save that for BSG, but I don't love it either. I'm getting really tired of the care-worn/haggard hero with rough edges but a soft side for small children underneath. I'm annoyed that characters from Eureka could have waltzed in and out of the episode and blended into the wallpaper along with these folks. I started withing for wraith to eat people, and I don't watch SGA anymore.

Bob was ok until he turned into a useless statue who couldn't act (perhaps because the special effects budget only includes magical equations), and he's profuse apologies did make me want to send him back into the skull late in the episode.

I have one question though: How does a child get $5000.00 without his parent's signature. It's a rather difficult feat. Others in my house quit watching at that obvious glitch.

Oh well. At least the raven plot was somewhat interesting, and I was grateful that the show is not a male version of Charmed.

I may watch it if nothing else is on, but a good movie on HBO or a need for Doctor Who DVDs could easily distract me.
      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I must not be very discriminating when it comes to Sci-Fi/Fantasy series, because I quite enjoyed it. I'm hoping it catches on and stays awhile....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Somewhere on the Sci-fi boards it says that the pilot airs as episode five. The pilot was originally two hours long, but was shortened to one, and is heavily based upon the first book (Storm Front?) in the Dresden series.

Comment

Not my usual fare... Don't dislike it but the dialogue could do with some serious work. The flashbacks were good.
            Haven't read the books... as I've said, it's not what I usually read or watch... so the changes haven't been apparent. I don't mind the lead but find the female cop rather bland.

Is Scifi doing the jump around AGAIN, is it? Why in heavens name?
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Ok, even though I actually thought this worked as a Pilot, I'd rather have been shown the intended pilot. What makes it worse is that a character who Harry seemed to know fairly well (the redhead Wizard who was actually working against him) died. Will she show up in episodes that should have aired earlier? That's going to be quite annoying if she does.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwin View Post
                Hm, I don't know the books, the series catched my interest mainly, because Dresden is the name of a famous and really wonderful city in Germany. And its still a little bit funny that its the name of this wizard.

So, after wtaching it I must say I wasn't that impressed. It was hard to follow the story without knowing most of the characters. How annoying that Sciffy seems to do the same thing like FOX with Firefly.
                So, still not impressed, but I like the characters, the ideas, the whole background and I bet its going to be great...well...as long as SciFi doesn't screw it.
                That would never happen. We know them to well.

</sarcasm>
                VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

I thought it was alright. (Thats a little bit better than "meh". ) I want to see a few more episodes before I make a real judgement on it. I do already think it's a better "odd detective" show than Psych.

The bit with the Raven guy giving the boy the can of whipped cream was a brilliant bit of visual comedy, and cracked me an my roommates up. If they can tap into that kind of humor regularly, they might have something.

And like others have said, I too recall reading that SciFi had ordered a movie or miniseries or something before they ordered a season of the show. I've decided that science fiction shows with one hour pilots are getting screwed over by their networks. You need two to kick off a new program right.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter View Post
                    I thought it was alright. (Thats a little bit better than "meh". ) I want to see a few more episodes before I make a real judgement on it. I do already think it's a better "odd detective" show than Psych.

The bit with the Raven guy giving the boy the can of whipped cream was a brilliant bit of visual comedy, and cracked me an my roommates up. If they can tap into that kind of humor regularly, they might have something.

And like others have said, I too recall reading that SciFi had ordered a movie or miniseries or something before they ordered a season of the show. I've decided that science fiction shows with one hour pilots are getting screwed over by their networks. You need two to kick off a new program right.
                    Well, look at The Lost Room- that was a fantastic miniseries/pilot, however it probably won't get the order for a series because the ratings weren't high enough. It seems getting a miniseries is a mixed blessing.

I thought the ravens giving the boy a banana split was funny as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                      Well, look at The Lost Room- that was a fantastic miniseries/pilot, however it probably won't get the order for a series because the ratings weren't high enough. It seems getting a miniseries is a mixed blessing.
                      While I really enjoyed most of "Lost Room", it was frustrating to invest 6 hours in something without a payoff, plus a lot of the Stargate SG1 fans were pushing for an unofficial boycott of this show (and SciFi channel in general) as they were just plain ticked at Skiffy. That may have contributed to the low ratings.

As for Dresden Files - there was a two hour pilot filmed, but it has been edited down to one hour and stuck in the schedule as episode #5. Someone seems to have a death wish for this show before it ever gets a chance.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                        While I really enjoyed most of "Lost Room", it was frustrating to invest 6 hours in something without a payoff, plus a lot of the Stargate SG1 fans were pushing for an unofficial boycott of this show (and SciFi channel in general) as they were just plain ticked at Skiffy. That may have contributed to the low ratings.

As for Dresden Files - there was a two hour pilot filmed, but it has been edited down to one hour and stuck in the schedule as episode #5. Someone seems to have a death wish for this show before it ever gets a chance.
                        I bet what they did was take that two hour pilot, cut out all the flashbacks, and insert them in this episode. It would explain a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                          I bet what they did was take that two hour pilot, cut out all the flashbacks, and insert them in this episode. It would explain a lot.
                          Maybe we'll see more flashback in other episodes ... they will grace us with cut down pilot (IMO; big mistake) and parts of it scattered around. I really can't understand why they did it ... and as others pointed, some characters might "come back" when they air skipped episodes.

Blah ... if anyone ever suspected Sci-Fi execs are _______ (insert to your liking), here is their proof. they do that to their own show.
                          VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

I'm glad I didn't watch The Lost Room or this because it seems SCi-fi is screwing both over.

Comment

I just watched the first episode when i got home from work. The show looked really interesting from the previews but i was a little upset that i had to work while it was on so i set the VCR to record just before it would start and end after BattleStar. This show is awesome. I have never read the books but i want to now. Does anyone know where i could find some?
                              sigpic
                              Click the Pick for my FanFiction.net profile

Comment

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
                                I just watched the first episode when i got home from work. The show looked really interesting from the previews but i was a little upset that i had to work while it was on so i set the VCR to record just before it would start and end after BattleStar. This show is awesome. I have never read the books but i want to now. Does anyone know where i could find some?
                                Probably the horror/scifi section of your local bookstore. Thrift shops, ebay, possibly even libraries. Jim Butcher is the author's name and Storm Front is the first book.

You can learn more at the Dresden Files section of Jim Butcher's site.

Comment

Working...
                                X