No announcement yet.

Buffy/Angel Season by Season Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately if its not SG1, its gonna get shunned on here at the moment Anyhow, Angel and Buffy, more of an Angel fan myself, but both are stunningly brilliant pieces of television IMO. In terms of writing, it doesnt get better than these, and the characters were the first to go beyond 3 dimensional, and hit what I would class as 4D characters, a feat which has been virtually unmatched.

My top three characters for each show:

Buffy
    Xander
    Willow
    Spike

Angel
    Wesley
    Angel
    Lindsey (Rare that a non-regular gets onto a "top character list" for me)

My favourite episodes are a little all over the place, switching back and forth all the time, but "Not Fade Away" is my all time Top ep for the franchise.

Also, for anyone who likes virtual series (script based series) this is a must read:

http://virtual-mutant.mzp-tv.co.uk/

They have their own vision of Buffy S8 and 9, Angel Season 6 and 7 (currently in production), as well as a few original spin offs including "Slayer Acadamy" and "Faith"
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I'm still here! I even subscribed to the thread so I didn't miss anything. I was trying to come up with something cool to say... which is now gonna have to wait till this afternoon, as I have to leave for work now.

*waves*
      sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
      "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
      My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
        Unfortunately if its not SG1, its gonna get shunned on here at the moment Anyhow, Angel and Buffy, more of an Angel fan myself, but both are stunningly brilliant pieces of television IMO. In terms of writing, it doesnt get better than these, and the characters were the first to go beyond 3 dimensional, and hit what I would class as 4D characters, a feat which has been virtually unmatched.
        I absolutly agree- what makes Joss's work stand apart from all else is his understanding of people, character, and humour, and how he mixes the three together beautifully. It's just so easy to get into his shows, even after missing out key elements of the story because of this.

Comment

I want fight against the Dragon!

(I love Dragons xD)
          Hallowed are the Ori !!!
          Follow the path of the Enlightment !
          Why Sg1 !!?? Why not me!!?? Why !!??

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
            I absolutly agree- what makes Joss's work stand apart from all else is his understanding of people, character, and humour, and how he mixes the three together beautifully. It's just so easy to get into his shows, even after missing out key elements of the story because of this.
            Well I highly recommend you check out Buffy when you can, it'll make things on Angel seem a lot clearer.
            sigpic
            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
              Well I highly recommend you check out Buffy when you can, it'll make things on Angel seem a lot clearer.
              Someday.....whenever I have the $$$ or my library decides to purchase it.

Comment

I wish I had the mula to buy Buffy and Angel too, however, poor student talking.

So, random question. What do you think Phlegm's "power/demon ability" was? Cause we never see him do anything other than watch TV, basically. What do you think. I personally, haven't a clue!
                sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
                "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping

Comment

Someday.....whenever I have the $$$ or my library decides to purchase it.
                  Well I saw some of the season sets at my local Wal-Mart for only $15. Good deal if I do say so myself.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well I saw some of the season sets at my local Wal-Mart for only $15. Good deal if I do say so myself.
                    Yeah, I saw them at my wal-mart today for $28- cheap, but I've bought too many DVD's lately.

Nice sig!

Comment

If I lived in America I'd be straight there! Sadly, I don't. Tom Lenk is in NZ this weekend for Armageddon though. Sadly I'm not in the city it's in... Clare Kramer is too. She was suppossed to come in April, to my city, but couldn't. Oh well.
                      sigpic

Comment

Favourite Characters...

Buffy - Tara, Giles, Buffy, Joyce
                        Angel - Spike, Lilah, Wes, Ilyria

I like Tara because she's just so lovely, she's really nice and yet not a bit dull. The vogue in TV is for any Good Guy character to be either a bundle of witty quips or to have some sort of 'darkness'. That's not a bad thing, but characters who are really nice but don't get the funny lines tend to be hard to make interesting. I think Amber Benson held her own really well against all these big bold established characters without anything except niceness (I keep using that word, but it's so Tara). The others were all fun to watch, but their clever lines were scripted by teams of geniuses with days to mull the script over and it showed; they seemed so witty as to be unreal. Tara seemed more real than anyone else.

spoiler for late s6
                        Spoiler:
                        :: sob ::

I didn't like Angel so much - when it was good it was good, but I don't particularly like the character of Angel himself, so when the show took a direction I wasn't keen on there wasn't the same investment in it that I'd had with Buffy. I loved the ending though.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                          I didn't like Angel so much - when it was good it was good, but I don't particularly like the character of Angel himself, so when the show took a direction I wasn't keen on there wasn't the same investment in it that I'd had with Buffy. I loved the ending though.
                          The ending of Angel.....wow, that could be an entire thread on it's own

Spoiler:
                          Such a beautiful and sad way to end a show, if it's going to go out, go out with a bang, and this one certainly did that. With no less then a dragon to fight! Definitly one of the best series finales I've ever seen, could watch that final scene over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                            spoiler for late s6
                            Spoiler:
                            :: sob ::
                            I know!
                            Spoiler:
                            Tara was so sweet, and caring, and only wanted the best for Willow. I cried so bad!

Spoiler:
                            Such a beautiful and sad way to end a show, if it's going to go out, go out with a bang, and this one certainly did that. With no less then a dragon to fight! Definitly one of the best series finales I've ever seen, could watch that final scene over and over.
                            The finale of Buff Buff was like that too.
                            Spoiler:
                            And trust Joss to kill of some of the most loved characters
                            I haven't seen the last 2 seasons of Angel though. I really want to though! I'll wait till my friend gets it on DVD. Or teh video store gets it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                              It's a shame that
                              Spoiler:
                              Wesley didn't survive

Also, someone suggested we start doing Season by Season discussions. Are you all up for that?
                              sigpic

Comment

It's a shame that
                                Spoiler:
                                Wesley didn't survive

Also, someone suggested we start doing Season by Season discussions. Are you all up for that?
                                That scene.....wow, can't watch that without toally breaking down, some fabulous acting there.

Season by season discussion sounds like fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X