"Andromeda" Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    That's what I meant by Roddenberry-inspired.
    It wasn't even inspired. He didn't create the DS9 concept
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm pretty damn sure the fact that it's a Star Trek series means it was inspired by him. 'Inspired' and 'created' aren't the same thing.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
        I think we would have missed the best of DS9 with Gene at the helm, I doubt it would have been as war-torn - which was the best part in my opinion.
        hmm, good point

That's cool artwork
        sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty damn sure the fact that it's a Star Trek series means it was inspired by him. 'Inspired' and 'created' aren't the same thing.
          I thought we were talking about the premise like how Roddenberry came up with the idea behind Andromeda but didn't write the story. In DS9 he didn't do either
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Which would be why I said "inspired", not "created".
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Which would be why I said "inspired", not "created".
              I just don't like the word inspired because he had no part in DS9
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Lol it doesn't matter if you don't like it, it is what it is. All Star Trek media not specifically created by Gene is inspired by his creation.

Just like The Planet of the Apes film franchise is inspired by the old French Pierre Boulle novel even though he was not involved in the films.

Being 'inspired by' something is most definitely not the same as being 'created by'. Hence why all post-Gene Trek is "based upon Star Trek created by". Same thing as "inspired".

Comment

I don't see based and inspired as being the the same thing. Based means just that is based on a certain work. DS9 is obviously that. Inspired means they had some work in bringing a TV show to life. It just seems inaccurate to describe that for DS9
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    I don't see based and inspired as being the the same thing. Based means just that is based on a certain work. DS9 is obviously that. Inspired means they had some work in bringing a TV show to life. It just seems inaccurate to describe that for DS9
                    Well having the words "Star Trek" in the title automatically puts a lot of what Gene had already created into the show, races, planets, allegiances, uniforms, ship design, starfleet etc...

I don't even think "inspires" covers the extent of his influence on DS9, Voyager and even Enterprise.

Comment

Well having the words "Star Trek" in the title automatically puts a lot of what Gene had already created into the show, races, planets, allegiances, uniforms, ship design, starfleet etc...
                      Hence the based part
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Hence the based part
                        Well on a sliding scale of influence I'd say "inspired" ranks waaaay below "based on", you were objecting to inspired on the basis that it meant that he had a part in creating the basic plot - which it doesn't.

Based on is certainly the correct term though.

Comment

Well on a sliding scale of influence I'd say "inspired" ranks waaaay below "based on", you were objecting to inspired on the basis that it meant that he had a part in creating the basic plot - which it doesn't.

Based on is certainly the correct term though.
                          I disagree with. Inspired implies he had a part in the show based just mean the show comes from something he created (ie the original Trek). Anyway the whole original point which we seem to drifted from how Andromeda was part of Roddenberry's idea he created the idea around the show while he no part in DS9 except it comes from his creation
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I disagree but oh well, not really worth debating.

Comment

I disagree with. Inspired implies he had a part in the show based just mean the show comes from something he created (ie the original Trek). Anyway the whole original point which we seem to drifted from how Andromeda was part of Roddenberry's idea he created the idea around the show while he no part in DS9 except it comes from his creation
                              no it doesn't

Planet of the Apes was inspired by a Pierre Boulle novel, Boulle was not involved in the films. BSG78 was inspired by the success of Star Wars, but has nothing to do with Star Wars. RDM BSG was inspired by BSG78, but was not created by the same people. Entourage is inspired by the early career of Mark Wahlberg, but aside from a producer credit he's not involved in the show.

"Inspired" has nothing to do with original creators being involved.

Comment

I loved this show. I wish they would hurry up & release the Repackaged DVDs that is not in the Region 1 Markets already

Comment

Working...
                                X