Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be reading The Silmarillion this year, after I've cantered through LOTR. I have read TS twice, and can't remember much apart from poor ol' ...er, was it Maedros (sp?) being rescued from the walls by having his hand cut off.

It is a major whump fest, but the writing is soooo dry I almost wish that someone would make a 47bazillion part adaptation of it simply to save me having to read the first two parts. bah.

Mr.P, thanks for saying all that about Tom Bombadill, btw. I can't stand that character, he drives me bonkers. Although it is a pity that they left Old Man Willow out of the film, because it's Merry & Pippin's experience with him that shows up some of their courage when they meet Treebeard.

What would be interesting, though, would be a history of the Dwarves, and exactly why they and the Elves aren't exactly the bestest of friends. As a TV series I mean.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
      What would be interesting, though, would be a history of the Dwarves, and exactly why they and the Elves aren't exactly the bestest of friends. As a TV series I mean.
      Oo, as a tv series wouldn't be so bad about the Dwarves history! I'm a bit confused though, but wouldn't the reason why they don't like each other is because... how the Dwarves killed Elves back in the Silmarillion (although i'm a bit confused since most of the damage the Dwarves inflicted was towards the Sindar)
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Actaully the fault for the Elf/Dwarf war were pretty much even. The original problem came up when Theodred or whatever Elrond's great-grandfather (the High King of the Sindars) use them to put one of the Silmarillions in a necklace. The Dwarves wanted to steal it and the King didn't want to pay them. Then the King pretty much called them a bunch of short *******s so they killed him. Also if I remember correctly there were only 2 or 3 actual wars in 8,000 years you think both sides would let things go.
        In all of the stories the Dwarves sure get hosed. They are put there by the gods and then completely neglected. The only help they receive is the spill over help that the Elves get. I can see why they don't really like the Elves who really aren't very likeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahak
          Actaully the fault for the Elf/Dwarf war were pretty much even. The original problem came up when Theodred or whatever Elrond's great-grandfather (the High King of the Sindars) use them to put one of the Silmarillions in a necklace. The Dwarves wanted to steal it and the King didn't want to pay them. Then the King pretty much called them a bunch of short *******s so they killed him. Also if I remember correctly there were only 2 or 3 actual wars in 8,000 years you think both sides would let things go.
          In all of the stories the Dwarves sure get hosed. They are put there by the gods and then completely neglected. The only help they receive is the spill over help that the Elves get. I can see why they don't really like the Elves who really aren't very likeable.
          The killing of Thingol doesn't explain their hatred for all elves though like Major C says, although maybe i am misunderstanding, and Major C only means the Teleri-Descent elves (the ones that are somehow connected to Thingol)???

Yes poor Dwarves (my favorite race) I think they were mistreated because they weren't made by Eru, who created everything else, but were made by Aule, or somehow related to that...

Also, 2 or 3 actual wars? Which wars would those be?

If you go to http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/ > then to Events (way at the bottom of the navigation frame, it shows the wars, battles, etc of most of the ME history, i dont know about 'letting things go', because in the wars and stuff, the Dwarves were usually helping the Elves (well really only the Noldor), so maybe the 'grudge' towards one and another is between the Teleri descent people and the Dwarves only???
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Working...
          X