Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Ahem* Me being a Tolkien scholar of sorts (I even do papers at conferences ), I have to clarify: The published Silmarillion is what Tolkien's son could manage to scrape together in the 1970s, and it's about all Three Ages until the War of the Ring...the dozen books with very small print are called History of Middle Earth and are more like a collection of all of Tolkien's manuscripts, with a lot of different versions of one and the same thing...e.g. many different versions of Lord of the Rings as Tolkien was in the middle of writing it and such.

I'd personally like to see the story of Annatar (Sauron) and the elves of Eregion, but that wouldn't be a PG movie if they also used the bits from "Unfinished Tales" (another Tolkien book with manuscripts...) - not nice what happened to Celebrimbor (the bloke who did the inscription on the Moria gate and was "boss" of the elven smiths))

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
    Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
    ~CELLO!~
    ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

i read the silmarillion a while ago, don't remember too much. but it would be interesting to make a movie out of one or two of the stories, rather than the whole book. if they could make it a movie without making it suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Iskandra
        I'd personally like to see the story of Annatar (Sauron) and the elves of Eregion, but that wouldn't be a PG movie if they also used the bits from "Unfinished Tales" (another Tolkien book with manuscripts...) - not nice what happened to Celebrimbor (the bloke who did the inscription on the Moria gate and was "boss" of the elven smiths))
        I don't want to comment on our versions of Silmarillions we have been reading, because the one i've been reading does include the war of the ring and such, but thats not what i want to talk about right now.. Haha, yes, poor Celebrimbor!!! But although i'm quite harsh, he and the other eregion people were the stupid ones, because didn't Sauron originally go to Elrond and Gil-Galad first and they didn't accept him or something because they sensed evil? i forgot, its been a while, hehe, i need to some clarification on my second age
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by Greesha
          i read the silmarillion a while ago, don't remember too much. but it would be interesting to make a movie out of one or two of the stories, rather than the whole book. if they could make it a movie without making it suck.
          I thought the Three LotR movie adaptions were pretty good, although i was mad they cut out some of my favorite characters

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
            But although i'm quite harsh, he and the other eregion people were the stupid ones, because didn't Sauron originally go to Elrond and Gil-Galad first and they didn't accept him or something because they sensed evil? i forgot, its been a while, hehe, i need to some clarification on my second age
            Yeah well...it wasn't that he came to Eregion looking like Evil Sauron (tm) and threatened anyone....he made himself look like a perfectly angelic blondie and was nice to people. He just offered knowledge and power. One of Tolkien's favourite topics - "power corrupts"

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
            Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
            ~CELLO!~
            ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
              I thought the Three LotR movie adaptions were pretty good, although i was mad they cut out some of my favorite characters

i liked them too. i just meant that generally books-to-movies get lost in translation, and the book is always better.

what characters?

Comment

Well, they didn't 'completely' cut out them, they just briefly showed them, like for one second, and maybe not, because they never mention if it was them or not. Like Cirdan, mone of my favorite Sindar/Teleri elves I think he was one of the three elves who got one of the rings shown at the beginning of fotr, and they never mentioned Cirdan giving the ring to Gandalf. Sorry for the spoiling of the book, but i'm in rage, haha... They didn't show Goldberry, Radagast, and Tom Bombadil, and although they have small parts, i think they have pretty important parts, like how Tom Bombadil wasn't affected by the ring's power, which i thought was interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Iskandra
                  Yeah well...it wasn't that he came to Eregion looking like Evil Sauron (tm) and threatened anyone....he made himself look like a perfectly angelic blondie and was nice to people. He just offered knowledge and power. One of Tolkien's favourite topics - "power corrupts"
                  Yah, i guess Celebrimbor couldn't refuse that Haha, i liked how you described Sauron disguised, 'he made himself look like a perfectly angelic blondie and was nice to people', hehe that was entertaining... I guess "power curruption" is one of Sauron's special abilities, since he did corrupt the Numenoreans and they became pretty powerful and wise, difference is, the nation of Numenoreans were descendants of Elros, who was Elronds brother, except he was human, well 'super human', haha...

Comment

I think they should take some of the individual stories like Beren and Luthian or Turin and make movies out of them.

Thanks to -Jules- for the sig pic!

"It hops, it hops! It hops jolly high!" The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

Comment

Wouldn't be possible, well not if you wanted it to be good anyway. It would be like trying to film any of the Hindu epics: too long, and too much divine intervention.

Comment

The Silmarillion explains a lot of things that didn't really add up in the LOTR books. Like why Sauron acts the way he does. He needs to ring to regain his body or he needs one of the white counsel to use it so he can posses them.
                        Also it explains a lot about the Elves and why they act the way they are also making the Elves into real characters instead of just leprachauns is a big plus. The Dwarves also are great. The reasons why the Orcs fight huge wars every 500 years is also mentioned.
                        But I really hate the gods. Boy what a bunch of lazy jerks. Even in the First Age most of the Elves and all of the Dwarves and humans are innocent of the Finwe clan's crimes. Then after they beat Morgoth they let Sauron say "uhm sorry about killing 10 million people we cool now" and walk away. Then they kill who knows how many innocent people (besides the Numenors) by making a huge tidal wave when they made the world round. Oh but they sent 5 count em 5 sorcerers 2,000 years later. Wow they truly are gods.

Comment

this has almost nothing to do with this thread but o well.
                          when i first read the "trilogy" i thought that elves were short little things (like santa's elves) so i was like "why would aragorn fall for one?"
                          Save us from danger, save us from evil
                          Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

I found it a hard read by just trying to keep track of all of the names. I was constantly flipping back and forth trying to remember who's who and what's what. It took me all four years in college to learn all 15 names of my ECE classmates, that's how bad I am with names.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                              I found it a hard read by just trying to keep track of all of the names. I was constantly flipping back and forth trying to remember who's who and what's what. It took me all four years in college to learn all 15 names of my ECE classmates, that's how bad I am with names.
                              Oh wow, i know what you mean, but i fell in love with one particular family, Luthien's family, and i memorized from there. Yes, that doesn't sound like it worked, but yah, there is a lot of names/characters in this book. It really doesn't help when the characters have different names, like Melkor/Morgoth, and Sauron/Forgot his other name(s), etc.

Comment

shouldn't they do a film of the Hobbit first before they do the Silmarillion

Comment

Working...
                                X