This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"What makes a good soldier, Captain?"

"The ability to keep his trap shut while being asked damnfool questions by a superior officer - sir."

Richard Sharpe, Sharpe's Eagle by Bernard Cornwell.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

You know this? Wagner's "Parsifal". A young man is brought to the sight of the Holy Grail, but he don't quite get it. So he wanders 'round acquiring wisdom and experience and becomes King of the Knights. I hear this every night before I go to bed. Well, parts of it. The damn thing's five hours long, or somethin'. Ain't it beautiful?Even though, for me, it's tarnished. When Adolph Hitler made a personal pilgrimage to Wagner's grave, emotional, he believed he could make a religion out of "Parsifal". And... unfortunately... he did.

The Old Man, MillenniuM, "Roosters".
      - The Usher of Destruction
      Everything's impossible...'til it ain't.

Comment

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the tag-line from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

"The man in the hat is back! And this time, he's bringing his dad!"
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Working...
        X