Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds like good news, children's authors or not. After all, DW is technically a kids show anyway .

Comment

Originally posted by Cahir View Post
      That sounds like good news, children's authors or not. After all, DW is technically a kids show anyway .
      You are wrong about that. Doctor Who is a family show. If it were a kids show it would be shown as with the rest of the BBC's children's TV scheduling. It isn't.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Steven Moffat being interviewed by his son...

sigpic

Comment

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-unde...50th-44184.htm
          And an article to accompany that video.

Comment

First 50th Anniversary Book by Eoin Colfer

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/eoin-colfer...book-44187.htm

In honour of Doctor Who’s 50th anniversary year, Eoin Colfer, author of the ‘Artemis Fowl’ series, has penned a short story featuring the First Doctor, William Hartnell.

The book entitled ‘A Big Hand For The Doctor‘ is the first in a series of eleven ebook short stories each based on one of the Eleven Doctors. They’ll all be priced at £1.99 and released on the 23rd of each month starting in January 2013.

Story details:

London, 1900. The First Doctor is missing both his hand and his granddaughter, Susan. Faced with the search for Susan, a strange beam of soporific light, and a host of marauding Soul Pirates intent on harvesting human limbs, the Doctor is promised a dangerous journey into a land he may never forget…
            Each story is written by a different author, bringing together some of the big names in children’s fiction. These authors will each bring their own interpretation and reimagining of their chosen Doctor to create a unique Doctor Who adventure in their own inimitable style.

A promotional video featuring the author will be released on the 11th of each month on the BBC Worldwide Doctor Who YouTube channel.

A paperback anthology of all eleven stories, the Doctor Who Anniversary Anthology will be released on 23rd November 2013 priced at £7.99.

The release calendar:

January – First Doctor, William Hartnell (1963-1966)
            February – Second Doctor, Patrick Troughton (1966-1969)
            March – Third Doctor, Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)
            April – Fourth Doctor, Tom Baker (1974-1981)
            May – Fifth Doctor, Peter Davison (1981-1984)
            June – Sixth Doctor, Colin Baker (1984-1986)
            July – Seventh Doctor, Sylvester McCoy (1987-1996)
            August – Eighth Doctor, Paul McGann (1996)
            September – Ninth Doctor, Christopher Eccleston (2005)
            October – Tenth Doctor, David Tennant (2005-2010)
            November – Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith (2010-present)

Other books this year:

Doctor Who: Puffin Eshorts (January – November, £1.99)
            Doctor Who: Anniversary Sticker Book (4th April, £7.99, Paperback, 9781405909150)
            Doctor Who: Where’s the Doctor? (4th April, £5.99, Paperback Reissue, 9781405909044)
            Doctor Who: Official Annual 2014 (1st August, £7.99, Hardback, 9781405911795)
            Doctor Who: Lost in Space (5th September, £8.99, Hardback, 9781405911801)
            Doctor Who: The Essential Guide to Fifty Years of Doctor Who (October, Hardback, £12.99)
            Doctor Who: Anniversary Anthology (November, Paperback, £7.99)

Comment

Harlequin Goldsmiths Celebrate BBC’s Doctor Who 50th Anniversary in 2013

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite....merchandise-2/

To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the iconic sci-fi series Doctor Who in 2013, Harlequin Goldsmiths has created a collection of Limited Edition Sterling silver and 9ct gold statuaries, together with a range of jewellery for both ladies and gentlemen.

The website of Harlequin Goldsmiths will launch in January 2013, allowing fans of the world’s longest running sci-fi series to view the company’s celebratory merchandise which will be released throughout the Anniversary year. This can be done by clicking on Harlequin’s ‘Time For An Adventure’ feature on their Doctor Who homepage. First to be launched in January will be the iconic TARDIS and collectors’ Ingots, and most pieces will be available to pre-order the month before their release. Statuaries will be manufactured from Sterling silver and 9ct gold, and these will include the TARDIS, Ingots, Daleks, Cybermen and the Sonic Screwdrivers.

Specific details regarding jewellery will be available from 1st February for the ladies’ range and from 1st May for the gentlemen’s range.

For the first time in its history, the Goldsmiths’ Company Assay Office has granted BBC Worldwide the use of its iconic trademark to form part of a London hallmark. BBC Worldwide and Harlequin Goldsmiths are proud to announce the release of the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary mark. Only Doctor Who statuaries and jewellery manufactured by Harlequin Goldsmiths in 2013 will bear this special hallmark, following which the mark will be discontinued and the punch presented to the BBC archives.

Comment

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/k-9-goes-stargazing-44231.htm
                K9 goes Stargazing!
                And thought I recognised that authors name!

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                  I'll have to watch that.

Comment

Hmmm, let me see... £1.99 a pop for a series of eleven short Doctor Who novels (similar to the Quick Reads books I'd imagine), that's £21.98. Versus £7.99 for the collected edition.

I know which one I'll be going for.
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Quickfire interview: Eoin Colfer on Doctor Who

http://www.guardian.co.uk/childrens-...fire-interview

Most of our readers tend to only know about David Tennant onwards. What made you want to write about the first Doctor, William Hartnell?

I like the first Doctor because he is a bit of a grump. Subsequent Doctors became more chipper and almost childlike and I found the first Doctor interesting because he was not so developed and I could have a little leeway with the character.

If you were the Doctor, who would you want as your companion?

I would like to take Gene Hunt from Life on Mars because he would take no cheek from no one and could protect me while I ponder quantum puzzles. I would enjoy listening to him shout: "Shut it, you tart" a dozen times a day.

Which Doctor Who monster are you most scared of?

I am not really scared of any of them to be honest. It's just TV - they're not real. I have known this since my early 30s.

What would you do with a sonic screwdriver in your day-to-day life?

I believe sonic is the best way to clean your teeth so I would whiten my molars until the glare would blind an owl.

Which book did you last have recommended to you?

A friend of mine recommended the comic book We 3 by Grant Morrison and artist Frank Quitely which is totally brilliant. So I am now recommending it to you.

What was your favourite book when you were younger?

I have always loved Stig of the Dump I think reading that book made me officially realise that I was a reader.

What was the last thing that made you laugh aloud?

I went to a Tenacious D gig and guffawed for the entire time. Luckily most of the audience were doing the same thing.

Where do you most like to write?

I have a lovely office in the garden with reflective glass so I can make faces at my kids and they can't see me. It's very therapeutic.

If you could travel in time, where would you go first?

I would go to 1970s London and go and see all my favourite musicians like David Bowie, Queen and Pink Floyd.

Where is the weirdest place you've been?

I once went to a restaurant in Trinidad and ate shark and chips. Then we went on an all-night parade where people threw paint at each other. Weird but fun.

What one piece of advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Put your bum on that seat and write. There's no point boring everyone for years talking about this book you are going to write. Do it, you tart.

When is your favourite time in history?

The best time is always now. Unless you have a splinter or a nasty cough, then the best time is in about a week.

What are you planning on writing next?

I am planning to write about 50 Christmas cards including one to Kate Bush on the off-chance that she will reply. After that I will finish the final edits to my next book, The Reluctant Assassin, which is about an assassin who is slightly reluctant. It's ok to be reluctant if you are a shop assistant but as an assassin it is a real drawback.

Comment

Read an extract from A Big Hand for the Doctor by Eoin Colfer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/childrens-...act?intcmp=239

Sample the start of the first in a new series of Doctor Who stories. The author of the bestselling Artemis Fowl series, Eoin Colfer, kicks off the series with an adventure set in early 20th-century London and featuring the first Doctor.

Sample at the link above.

Comment

BFI’s Doctor Who at 50 Screenings Announced!

http://www.kasterborous.com/2013/01/...ngs-announced/

The BFI has announced the first monthly screenings for the Doctor Who at 50 celebrations at London Southbank, with serials from the first three incarnations of the birthday boy!

As mention at the end of last year, the organisation has planned special screenings each month leading up to the anniversary date itself and they’ll be starting right back at the beginning with An Unearthly Child on 12th January.

Following on from that, Patrick Troughton will once again be tackling the Tomb of the Cybermen on 9th February; then in March Jon Pertwee is up against the Master as The Mind of Evil is unveiled in newly restored colour.

Each screening will be accompanied by a special Q&A panel, though guests are yet to be announced.

Stories representing the remaining eight Doctors will be announced in the coming year.

Justin Johnson, BFI Programmer, said:

The BFI is very proud of our long relationship with both the BBC and the Doctor Who production team. We are delighted to be playing complete stories featuring each incarnation of The Doctor, supported by Q&As with special guests. As well as the TV work, we also plan to play newly digitally restored versions of the Peter Cushing films, courtesy of Studio Canal. This is the perfect opportunity for old fans and new to come and learn about the genesis of the show and its continuing journey.
                          Doctor Who’s executive producer Caroline Skinner said:

To be doing this enormous and exciting project for the BFI is just a dream come true. We’re delighted that in this 50th year of the show we have such brilliant support from the BFI for our celebration of Doctor Who’s cultural heritage. Some of the stories we’re going to show are thrilling, surprising, funny and just plain classic TV. Enjoy, everyone!
                          For the climax of the event, fans will be treated to a special preview of An Adventure in Space and Time, the drama written by Mark Gatiss exploring the personalities that brought the longest running sci-fi series to life.

Comment

I want to see Gene Hunt in Doctor Who!
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-...ntas-43991.htm
                              Doctor Who faces Sherlock! At least theres no Waterloo Road this year...
                              Don't mind who wins though in all these awards as they are all worthy shows and actors/actresses... (but obvs Id prefer Doctor Who for best show).

Comment

I've got a feeling that Downtown Abbey or Sherlock will win best drama, due to more consistent writing. I'm not sure how it'll play out when it comes down to an individual level. There are some bloody good actors/actresses competing for honours.

Comment

Working...
                                X