Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's about time really. Man, I have been waiting for the new show to come to the US ever since I heard they were making new episodes.

Looking forward to it!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigGator5
      It's about time really. Man, I have been waiting for the new show to come to the US ever since I heard they were making new episodes.

Looking forward to it!!
      Well I've seen all the episodes, even though I live in the States. I did what every other American did (those who though Who was never going to come to the States), I <coughs> it.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
        Yes I get that and I just think it is more a child friendly SciFi show then the time slot allows.
        We need family programs, where parents and children can enjoy the experience together. There are not many shows like that.

Oh yeah, and if this boost the sales of the DVD even slightly well it's all good.
        Not every new series fan will be thrilled about the classic series, but I'm hoping for some cross-over.

Think about it. Those season and mid-season breaks are tough on Stargate fans. There's alot of potential viewers here.

It would be nice if my favorite show actually gained some popularity in my country.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
          We need family programs, where parents and children can enjoy the experience together. There are not many shows like that.
          That's what I have always loved about Dr Who, kids can watch with their parents, I guess they can record it and view it on Saturday. I take it SciFi wont be repeating them.
          Not every new series fan will be thrilled about the classic series, but I'm hoping for some cross-over.
          Look it is a big ask to view the classic series after viewing the new series I know I am still finding the late 1980s series a bit tacky special effects wise.
          Think about it. Those season and mid-season breaks are tough on Stargate fans. There's a lot of potential viewers here.
          Ooh I have thought about it which is why I am spreading the word on GW that Dr Who will screen in the break.
          It would be nice if my favorite show actually gained some popularity in my country.
          Aw, bless you...it might happen, at least there maybe more US GW members who see the show, it's a start.

Comment

I take it SciFi wont be repeating them.
            Really? They always seem to be struggling to find quality programs.

Look it is a big ask to view the classic series after viewing the new series I know I am still finding the late 1980s series a bit tacky special effects wise.
            No doubt. But I still hope for some cross-over. I mean it did have a certain charm to it.

Ooh I have thought about it which is why I am spreading the word on GW that Dr Who will screen in the break.
            How are you doing that? You do have a plan? Or are you just going, "BTW, Doctor Who...."?

Aw, bless you...it might happen, at least there maybe more US GW members who see the show, it's a start.
            I hope so. If it did happen, the experience would feel like a Twilight Zone episode or alternate universe story.

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
              Well I've seen all the episodes, even though I live in the States. I did what every other American did (those who though Who was never going to come to the States), I <coughs> it.
              You downloading the episodes, didn't you?

Comment

Yay! I used to watch the original Dr Who reruns back when I used to live in England

I LOVED this show when I was growing up (my dad basicly forced me to watch it when it was on..not like it was hard to.. )

Comment

Originally posted by kharn the betrayer
                  I LOVED this show when I was growing up (my dad basicly forced me to watch it when it was on..not like it was hard to.. )
                  Dude! You just blew my mind!

When I was a kid, my mother did anything she could to STOP me from watching sci-fi.

You
                  Lucky
                  Son
                  Of
                  A
                  Gun!

Comment

Really? They always seem to be struggling to find quality programs.
                    I was asking you. I have no idea.
                    How are you doing that? You do have a plan?
                    A plan? Please do I seem that organised to you? It's in my sig, and I am talking about it everywhere I go on-line, and I go a lot of places. lol

Comment

I was asking you. I have no idea.
                      My guess is yes, definitely! They probably went to a lot of trouble to purchase that license. I'm sure with the way they struggle with new series, they're going milk any success they have.

A plan? Please do I seem that organised to you? It's in my sig, and I am talking about it everywhere I go on-line, and I go a lot of places. lol
                      I live on a farm, near a town populated with people who look at you funny if you discuss things beyond their everyday experience.

I'm guessing you're going to be more successful than me in the person-to-person area.

The signature is a good idea, though.

Comment

Originally posted by shazzboy
                        actually it will air FRIDAY 9PM. The same slot as SGA. it wont attract millions upon millions of viewers, but will attract a decent niche audience that will boost the profitability of the series.

making it more likely to last longer. the US this time around isnt necessary for success, as the ratings are gigantic in the UK, as well its been sold to about 18 other countries(mine included). But, US market penetration is an excellent boost that will make it a much more healthier series.
                        Yep- the Christmas special did over 10 million viewers ratings wise over here. It beat all programs for the day on all channels apart from EastEnders which just pipped it by a few hundred thousand to take the number one slot. Pretty good for a tv show they said was dead.

Very good use of us licence payersmoney!

Also I know people are hoping that this purchase will have some influence on the bbc and what it does with the show. Personally I hope it doesn't. Doctor Who is uniquely British and we have seen what monkeying around with it by US tv channels can do with the tv movie *shudders*. Also the BBC have a remit to service UK viewers because it is our money they are literally spending due to the unique way the BBC works here in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by BritAngie
                          Yep- the Christmas special did over 10 million viewers ratings wise over here. It beat all programs for the day on all channels apart from EastEnders which just pipped it by a few hundred thousand to take the number one slot. Pretty good for a tv show they said was dead.

Very good use of us licence payersmoney!

Also I know people are hoping that this purchase will have some influence on the bbc and what it does with the show. Personally I hope it doesn't. Doctor Who is uniquely British and we have seen what monkeying around with it by US tv channels can do with the tv movie *shudders*. Also the BBC have a remit to service UK viewers because it is our money they are literally spending due to the unique way the BBC works here in the UK.
                          Dont worry, as long as it maintains its enormous popularity in the UK and continues to be sold to more countries, US executive demands will be irrelevant. its all about market share. if US market share outweighs UK then there might be a problem. but, that is highly unlikely.

If the ratings massively drop in the UK then that will be an even bigger problem. however, as long as it is the show to watch in the UK and continues to become even more global, US executive demands will be a simple whisper in the background. this isnt an attack on americans, just your idiotic tv executives who stuff up almost everything. especially if its 'foreign'.

Comment

Think about it. Those season and mid-season breaks are tough on Stargate fans. There's alot of potential viewers here.

Here, Here! Kree! And all that. It was tough going in-between Stargate season halfs, and this sounds like a perfect fit for that time. Dr. Who's a great acquisition for SciFi Channel.

Just sayin', sweet!
                            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                            sigpic
                            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Kree! Jelly Baby!

I hope this leads to scifi working a deal for the classic series as well.

Many note the cheesiness of the special effects of the 60s, 70s and 80s...but come on...it was the 60s, 70s and 80s.

I think SciFi would discover that spending the money on the classic series would be money better spent than on Mansquito 2 or another croc/gator movie or a lot of the crap they have during the weekend. They block out 2 - 3 hrs of time for crap movies...that's enough time for an entire run of the .5 hr episodes to do a complete story.

Guess that'll all depend on the ratings though. Will be an interesting comparison on the first night to see the premiere ratings v SG1, SGA and BSG premiere numbers for the season....and then the end of season ratings overall.
                              Thanks!
                              Jordan

my page
                              My LJ
                              From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

hey...if Who goes over well and they sign for the Tennant series...maybe they'll look at Torchwood as well.

assuming that does well over there.
                                Thanks!
                                Jordan

my page
                                My LJ
                                From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Working...
                                X