X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sylvester McCoy keen on Doctor Who return
    By Tim Masters Entertainment correspondent, BBC News

Actor Sylvester McCoy has said he would be keen to return to Doctor Who for its 50th anniversary.

McCoy, who played the seventh Doctor from 1987 to 1989, said fans wanted a multi-Doctor story to mark the programme's golden jubilee in 2013.

He also suggested that earlier Doctors - played by actors who have since died - could be brought back using computer technology.

"They've got such imaginations, they could do anything," he said.

"Would I do it? Yes, I'd be delighted to," said the actor when asked if he would consider reprising his most famous role.

"I am a part of it, it hasn't ever gone away and I celebrate the 21st Century Doctors," he continued - a reference to his successors Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith.

Time Lord technology

The first Doctor Who show to feature more than one actor playing the titular Time Lord was The Three Doctors in 1972.

That saw William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee - the first three actors to play the Doctor on television - appearing on screen together.

"I know that the producers balk at it. All those egos in the same room would be very difficult to deal with," McCoy continued.

"But the fans are hoping that for the 50th anniversary, which is coming up, they might do something like that.

"It would be fascinating with all the technology if they could bring back Jon Pertwee and William Hartnell.

"That would be amazing - and I bet they could do it if they wanted to."

The 67-year-old Scot also joked that technology could be used to "make us thin again".

McCoy is currently appearing in London in the first stage adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's comic novel Decline and Fall.

He has also been cast as a wizard in the Hobbit films, expected to begin shooting in New Zealand in 2011.

Link to interview here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11848554

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

"All those egos" says he.

Hmm - I wonder who he means?
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
        "All those egos" says he.

Hmm - I wonder who he means?
        I wonder...

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

6pm for A Christmas Carol
          Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - Posted by Marcus Hilton

The BBC has confirmed this year's Doctor Who Christmas special, A Christmas Carol will be shown on BBC One and BBC One HD, on Christmas Day at 6pm.

Final schedules were signed off this afternoon. Doctor Who has been shown at 6pm on Christmas Day for the last two years.

This year Doctor Who will be preceded by The One Ronnie, a variety show starring Ronnie Corbett and will be followed by Christmas Editions of Strictly Come Dancing, featuring John Barrowman, and EastEnders.

The programme has already been confirmed for transmission on Christmas Day in the United States on BBC America at 9pm ET and on Boxing Day in Canada on SPACE at 9pm ET and in Australia on ABC 1 at 7.30pm.

Link to original news report here: http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.co...-schedule.html

Comment

Curses! I'll still be at my brother and sister-in-law's place for Christmas Dinner at 1800hrs.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Curses! I'll still be at my brother and sister-in-law's place for Christmas Dinner at 1800hrs.
              Are they not Doctor Who fans then? Could they not be persuaded to stick it on the telly?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                Are they not Doctor Who fans then? Could they not be persuaded to stick it on the telly?
                They're not fans, no.

As it's Christmas, I'll no doubt be forced to "interact" with my family.
                sigpic

Comment

They're not fans, no.

As it's Christmas, I'll no doubt be forced to "interact" with my family.
                  Bugger. Shame its not my house you're coming around for dinner. I've got my cousins coming around who are fans and Doctor Who will most definitely be on my TV screen whilst we interact.

Comment

Hopefully (fingers toes and eyes crossed) my laptop will be fixed in time, and I'll be able to download it off the iPlayer a bit later.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hopefully (fingers toes and eyes crossed) my laptop will be fixed in time, and I'll be able to download it off the iPlayer a bit later.
                      Fingers crossed for you mate.

Comment

Fingers crossed for you mate.

Comment

Speaking of downloading Dr. Who, I've read on the official Playstation Blog that Dr. Who has/will be added to the PS Store. Unfortunately they've added new blocks to the service so I can't even access the video section to see if it's been added.

sigpic

Comment

BBC executive Piers Wenger teases future of Doctor Who
                            By Mathew Wace Peck.

Piers Wenger, one of the executive producers of Doctor Who has been speaking about what the future holds for the BBC’s popular science-fiction drama series.

In a little over three weeks’ time, the 2010 Doctor Who Christmas special will be broadcast – on Christmas Day (25 December) in the UK and the US, and on Boxing Day (26 December) in Australia.

The story – A Christmas Carol, by Steven Moffat – is the sixth Christmas special episode to be screened since Doctor Who returned to TV screens in 2005, but the first to star Matt Smith’s eleventh Doctor.

Smith's predecessor, David Tennant (Single Father) took the lead role in the previous specials, all of which were written by Moffat’s predecessor as showrunner – Russell T Davies (Torchwood).

While most people have been looking forward to A Christmas Carol – which will see Sir Michael Gambon (Harry Potter) and the mezzo-soprano singer Katherine Jenkins join the regular cast – Crave Online have been quizzing Wenger on what viewers can expect from the two series in 2011 and the show’s future beyond.

During the interview, Wenger said:
                            Well [. . .] you know we’ve got the pressure up after the success of the last season. We really have to raise the bar. Steven has written a two-parter, which will be the first season opening two-parter since the series came back in 2005, and it’s all set in the [United States]. The [production] went to the States [to Utah] to film the American locations for that two-parter.

I’m particularly dying to see that one. I think it’s going to be the most ambitious season opener that Doctor Who has seen for the last five or six years.
                            Since 2004, Doctor Who production has been based in Wales, in the UK, where most of the filming takes place. However, during its 47-year history, a number of stories have been filmed in other countries, including Lanzarote (Planet of Fire), Spain (The Two Doctors), Italy (The Fires of Pompeii) and Croatia (The Vampires of Venice and Vincent and the Doctor).

Asked whether there were any immediate plans to film in other countries other than the recent US shoot, Wenger said it was always an option to be considered. He said:
                            Not currently. Although, we are nothing if not opportunistic. If an opportunity to do so would arrive, we would probably take it. Or if it would bring something new to an episode and give it a completely new landscape.

We’re open to that because we’re always pushing it.
                            Wenger also elaborated on why there were to be two (albeit shorter) series next year instead of the usual one, saying:
                            [It] was basically driven by the story that Steven had in his head. It had a big [story] in the middle of it and I think [Steven] spoke to the drama commissioner of the BBC about that where he figured, “Why not build a [structure] that really built to it?”

It was an excellent opportunity to really get the audience hooked by making it an end of season cliffhanger. We get a three-month hiatus between the first part and the second part [. . .] You’re never more than three months away from the next Doctor Who.
                            However, Wenger is currently unsure whether or not this “two series per year” schedule will continue beyond 2011.

After the Christmas episode of Doctor Who, the series will return for seven episodes around Easter 2012, six episodes in the autumn (fall) and again for another one-off Christmas story.

In 2013, the series will celebrate its 50th anniversary, something the BBC has already begun to plan for.

Link to original article here: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/300913

Comment

Oh boy oh boy the future of Doctor Who is looking grand!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                                Oh boy oh boy the future of Doctor Who is looking grand!
                                Isn't it? I love this franchise!

Comment

Working...
                                X