X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tennant Eyes Dr Who Musical
    21 December 2008 11:53 PM, PST

Doctor Who star David Tennant is keen for the cult TV show to be turned into a musical - because he loves "a song and a dance."

The Scottish actor is adamant the sci-fi programme would easily translate to the stage, but would prefer to keep a musical version on TV screens as it would be difficult to find the time for a long-running live production.

He says, "Doctor Who: The Musical has been mentioned. I would be up for it. I love a song and a dance. The thing about a musical is you have to commit for a year and a half and it's eight times a week."

Tennant was recently forced to pull out of his run in a London production of Shakespeare's Hamlet due to a back injury.

http://us.imdb.com/news/ns0000002/#ni0633983

Comment

"Stargate, can you believe it?" Davies said. "That was a surprise. Has his agent watched it?"
      BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's got to be the put down line of the year, well done Mr Davies. I wonder if there'll be a mass burning of Dr Who DVD's by disgruntled Stargate fans a la John Lennon's gaff about Jesus.

Call me a cynical old bag but I wonder how much they paid Robert Carlyle to do Universe

Comment

Well, today's "surprise" on the Dr. Who Advent Calendar is a brief teaser of RTD and Julie Graham's podcast commentary for "The Next Doctor".

I'm sure it'll make perfect sense in context...
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
          Hang on. He is the same guy who openly dismissed the idea [of a female doctor] a few years back!
          His latest view is "I think I'd be very good, but they just laughed me out of the office, I mean honestly!"

I don't think he ever says anything serious and specific about the lucky actor. He's either vague - "They've got a lot of fabulous actors to chose from" - or frivolous - see above

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
            BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's got to be the put down line of the year, well done Mr Davies. I wonder if there'll be a mass burning of Dr Who DVD's by disgruntled Stargate fans a la John Lennon's gaff about Jesus.

Call me a cynical old bag but I wonder how much they paid Robert Carlyle to do Universe
            You're hardly cynical. The only actors who go "oh, I'll work for scale, I'll do it for free" are usually the ones who have gazillions in the bank and can afford to do that. The rest, they want paid.

If any disgruntled SG fans want to destroy their WHO dvds, I'll gladly take 'em off your hands

Comment

I really do wonder how many of the 'Stars' of Universe have watched Stargate

Comment

My dvd's are safe, I'm not about to part with them.

Also it looks like the BBCA here is trying to get people used to SM. The replays of series 4 Doctor Who Inside Look had him on yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
                  My dvd's are safe, I'm not about to part with them.

Also it looks like the BBCA here is trying to get people used to SM. The replays of series 4 Doctor Who Inside Look had him on yesterday.
                  Oh well, darn, but wait, they're region 2, right? Curses!

Comment

I assume that's what we in the UK know as Doctor Who Confidential?
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                      I assume that's what we in the UK know as Doctor Who Confidential?

It's kind of a 30 to 60 second spot with whomever. I'm not sure if it'll play for everyone, but here's a link.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/123/index.jsp

Comment

It's kind of a 30 to 60 second spot with whomever. I'm not sure if it'll play for everyone, but here's a link.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/123/index.jsp
                        Hmm, interesting.
                        sigpic

Comment

http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/intervie...&in_page_id=11

Dec 22 2008

excerpt:

Writer Russell T Davies, 45, is the brains behind the revamped Doctor Who series. He has also written dramas Queer As Folk and The Second Coming. After an award-winning run on Doctor Who, he is leaving next year. The Christmas special in on BBC1 on Christmas Day.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

Davies has no sentiment over 'Who' exit
                            Tuesday, December 23 2008, 21:30 GMT

By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter

Doctor Who boss Russell T. Davies has said that he won't be overcome with sentiment when he departs the BBC One show next year.

Davies told Metro: "It's business as usual. I'm also working on Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures. I'm writing until February so it won't hit me until then. I'm not sentimental about these things so I'll probably just move on to the next project as fast as I can."

The 45-year-old admitted that his proudest achievement with Doctor Who was "making it such a big success. It's not a little cult show anymore, that's what I'm most proud of."

He added: "When we brought Doctor Who back, the role was considered such a joke names such as Paul Daniels were mentioned. Now it's serious actors. That shows how much the perception of the show has changed."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a13...-who-exit.html

Comment

Tennant compares 'Who' to 'Hamlet'
                              Wednesday, December 24 2008, 16:44 GMT

By Ben Rawson-Jones, Cult Editor

David Tennant has compared the calibre of writing on Doctor Who to William Shakepeare's Hamlet.

"The quality of writing on Doctor Who elevates it above the crassly popular," Tennant told Radio 4, according to The Times. "Some of the scripts are truly beautiful as, indeed, is Hamlet."

Referring to stage director Jonathan Miller's criticism of casting the star of Doctor Who in the play, he said: "Why should there be this sense of snobbery we seem to indulge in? His implication is that Doctor Who is low art and Hamlet is high art. I don’t think it’s true."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a13...to-hamlet.html

Comment

I really do wonder how many of the 'Stars' of Universe have watched Stargate
                                Sorry isn't this the Doctor Who News thread and not the Lets diss Stargate cos RTD made a joke thread?

Anyway the next Special is called

Spoiler:
                                The Planet of the Dead, a trip to ruined Gallifrey perhaps?
                                A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Working...
                                X