X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by humanityspotential View Post
    I love you!!!

I watch DW for DW not because DT is hot!! Yes they have attracted a lot of new viewers with DT but if the stories are good enough and the actor good enough then why do we need a 'thunkable' Doctor. Isn't it the Doctor's mind afterall that makes him attractive.
    The problem arises of course, when the actor isn't good enough or the stories aren't good enough... take for example Colin Baker - he was a wonderful Doctor. Only in his period, the stories wren't jsut bad, they were downright horrible. And then there's McCoy - it'[s the period where his stories became decent again that he was shown up to be just about the one actor in the history of the show to not be good enough for the role - I've just watched Battlefield a couple of days ago, and I have to say there were some very well written scenes there which McCoy simply blew because he couldn't deliver the right performance.

So, yes, DT is attractive - but it's the combination of his talent (of which he has a LOT) and RTD's stellar writing that make him my favourite Doctor, not his looks.
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
      The problem arises of course, when the actor isn't good enough or the stories aren't good enough... take for example Colin Baker - he was a wonderful Doctor. Only in his period, the stories wren't jsut bad, they were downright horrible. And then there's McCoy - it'[s the period where his stories became decent again that he was shown up to be just about the one actor in the history of the show to not be good enough for the role - I've just watched Battlefield a couple of days ago, and I have to say there were some very well written scenes there which McCoy simply blew because he couldn't deliver the right performance.

So, yes, DT is attractive - but it's the combination of his talent (of which he has a LOT) and RTD's stellar writing that make him my favourite Doctor, not his looks.
      There is no doubting David is remarkably talented, I was so excited when he was announced as DW because I'd seen him in Blackpool and Taking over the Assylum and loved him.

I'm just worried about all the speculation around Paterson Joseph because I'm not sure he's a good enough actor and 'I'm in everything' Nesbitt would cause me to throw myself of the nearest skyscraper.

But apparantly from all the articles I've read Joseph is a safe bet, because the info came from a reliable source and Moffat is very keen to have a black Doctor.

Comment

There is no doubting David is remarkably talented, I was so excited when he was announced as DW because I'd seen him in Blackpool and Taking over the Assylum and loved him.

I'm just worried about all the speculation around Paterson Joseph because I'm not sure he's a good enough actor and 'I'm in everything' Nesbitt would cause me to throw myself of the nearest skyscraper.

But apparantly from all the articles I've read Joseph is a safe bet, because the info came from a reliable source and Moffat is very keen to have a black Doctor.
        Remeber when Chris Ecclestone left the role, how quickly David Tennant's name rose to the surface but RTD and the Beeb wouldn't comment, this, with Patterson Joseph, is exactly like that.

Comment

Moffat is very keen to have a black Doctor.
          That's a bit unfair, I think. PJ I don't know too much - I've enjoyed him in the little bits of stuff I've seen him in, but I've never seen him in a substential enough role to say whether he can be the Doctor or not. But the thing is, there are plenty of wonderful black actors who would probably love to be the Doctor. IT's such a high profile role, SM could really get whoever he thinks is best for the job, whatever skin colour he is. If the new Doctor really is Paterson Joseph, I'm convinced it's because SM thinks he's the best man for the job, not the best black man or even just the best willing black man.
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

That's a bit unfair, I think. PJ I don't know too much - I've enjoyed him in the little bits of stuff I've seen him in, but I've never seen him in a substential enough role to say whether he can be the Doctor or not. But the thing is, there are plenty of wonderful black actors who would probably love to be the Doctor. IT's such a high profile role, SM could really get whoever he thinks is best for the job, whatever skin colour he is. If the new Doctor really is Paterson Joseph, I'm convinced it's because SM thinks he's the best man for the job, not the best black man or even just the best willing black man.

I'm sure you are right about Moffat's motivation for choosing a new Doctor, I'm just repeating what the press is saying. They are making a big deal out of every little thing Moffat says and everyone he has worked with has been put in the spotlight as a potential candidate. You'd swear it was the election of a new Prime Minister.

Comment

'Who' boss reveals Morrissey helped Tennant

Doctor Who showrunner Russell T. Davies has revealed that the casting of David Morrissey for the Christmas Special helped to boost David Tennant's spirits.

"David's been on our wishlist since the beginning," Davies told Doctor Who Magazine. "It was particularly good for David Tennant, cos we were at the end of a very gruelling shoot, making 15 episodes in a row for the first time ever."

"So for him to have a good friend coming on board, right at the end, was a real boost," continued Davies. "And the way they play off each other is simply brilliant. Two great men, at the top of their game."

Morrissey and Tennant previously starred together in the 2004 BBC drama Blackpool

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a13...d-tennant.html

Comment

Out of interest, is anyone else having trouble viewing the video content on the BBC webiste's Dr. Who Adventure Calendar?
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I have to totally disagree with you! I mean seriously disagree with you!

Colin was an accident waiting to happen but Sylvester was gold! He is my third fave after Peter and Jon. I love some of Tom's stories the best though.

Comment

IMO it was the other way round Colin Baker was terrible as the Doctor. Yes the crap stories and the fact Michael Grade openly hated Dr Who didn't help, but it was Sylvester McCoy that started the Doctor's dark edge (See Rememberence of the Daleks and Silver Nemesis)

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                      I have to totally disagree with you! I mean seriously disagree with you!

Colin was an accident waiting to happen but Sylvester was gold! He is my third fave after Peter and Jon. I love some of Tom's stories the best though.
                      Heresy! Heresy! Nooooo! You cannot disagree with me! You will be ex-terminated!

Er.

I casn never decide whether I like Tom or Jon best. I mean, when Tom Baker was at his best, he really was fantastic - but it was already in his period Who started deteriorating. Jon Pertwee was both a wonderful Doctor and his stories were consistently good! Except for Peladon. That one jsut couldn't keep my interest....

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                      IMO it was the other way round Colin Baker was terrible as the Doctor. Yes the crap stories and the fact Michael Grade openly hated Dr Who didn't help, but it was Sylvester McCoy that started the Doctor's dark edge (See Rememberence of the Daleks and Silver Nemesis)
                      Well, that's part of my problem with McCoy - his Doctor was written as having that dark edge, but McCoy's acting jsut wasn't up for it... Colin Baker's scripts were terrible, no doubt about that - but he wasa good Doctor. Well, IMO, anyway.
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                        Out of interest, is anyone else having trouble viewing the video content on the BBC webiste's Dr. Who Adventure Calendar?
                        You can only view it if you live in the UK.

Comment

You can only view it if you live in the UK.
                          Yes, he does. BruTak lives in the same wee country as I do.

BruTak, I can access the vids with no problems. Is it possible you have Flash animation disabled or blocked in your browser?
                          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Joeseph Patterson...not watching Survivors but before that I see he was Benjamin in Jeckyll and going even further back, the Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere!

Might be workable.
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                              BruTak, I can access the vids with no problems. Is it possible you have Flash animation disabled or blocked in your browser?
                              I'm having no trouble accessing the video clips, it's that they won't play.

The clip gets to a certain point, stops, and I get a message saying "This content is unavailable. Please try again later" or words to that effect.
                              sigpic
                              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Heresy! Heresy! Nooooo! You cannot disagree with me! You will be ex-terminated!
                                Hey I have a sonic screwdriver, don't mess with me!

*bugger!* It's only plastic and has no batteries.

I am just saying Colin was the wrong actor at the wrong time. Does that sound better? I think McCoy was darker at times but maybe for some his delivery of lines was too comic in tone, I mean he didn't look menacing but to me he could so go there and it frighten the hell out me!

I was 19 or so and not easily scared by Doctor Who.

Comment

Working...
                                X