Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we stuck with young Doctors from now on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neither Clooney or Depp are British. The actor playing the Doctor is always British.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
      Neither Clooney or Depp are British. The actor playing the Doctor is always British.
      So you would say no to probably the world's best character actor (Depp) playing the role?
      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
      and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
        So you would say no to probably the world's best character actor (Depp) playing the role?

In a word. Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
          Absolutely. Don't let him (or any other non-Brit) near the role.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Why? The Doctor is from Gallifrey not England.
            sigpic
            Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
              Why? The Doctor is from Gallifrey not England.
              The Gallifreian Actors Union is too expensive for the BBC to afford so we must make do with British ones.
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

Funny, I saw a thread somewhere in which only British actors were being considered, but someone had added James Marsters' name to the list and he got several votes, I guess that they didn't realize that he's an American.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure who I want it to be, just somebody older than Matt Smith.
                  sigpic
                  Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                    I'm not sure who I want it to be, just somebody older than Matt Smith.
                    While I also would prefer that, it depends a lot on who he is cast with. Even though it shouldn't really made a difference, DT's Doctor seemed older when paired with Donna and Martha, and more youthful with Rose. Part of that would have been the storylines within each season, so it's not like it's a scientific comparison. Especially since it's only IMO
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree with what Caroline John (Liz Shaw) says in the commentary for 'Doctor Who and the Silurians' The Doctor should never have been shown as lonely or pining, but rather a distant Lord, who is above such things as Human emotions or sexual desires.
                      sigpic

Comment

That is kind of something I hated about Eccelstons and Tennents Doctors.
                        How they were always whining and moaning about being the last time lord,and HOW LONELY They were!

I mean am I the only one that remembered that the Doctor really didn't like his own people that much? And that was one of the main character traits of his character(s) that HE didn' want' to be on Gallifrey?
                        I mean don't get me wrong, I am not emplying that he is glad that they are dead but some of the butt ache that was shown for the TL" just seemed very out of place to me.
                        I like Sharky
                        sigpic

Comment

I agree with what Caroline John (Liz Shaw) says in the commentary for 'Doctor Who and the Silurians' The Doctor should never have been shown as lonely or pining, but rather a distant Lord, who is above such things as Human emotions or sexual desires.
                          I'm not really that familiar with the earlier Doctor Who (I've seen fragments, but not sat down and watched the complete series) so take anything I say on the subject with a grain of salt Of the latest incartion, the companion I most appreciated was Donna. Not just because I liked Donna herself, but because of how the Doctor acted around her. He seemed more mature and relaxed (note NOT old), which seemed more natural for someone over 900 years old. The focus on ship in the recent series (reciprocated or otherwise) was frankly quite annoying. When you throw in how he seems to view the human race as a whole - almost child-like, in need of protection - it felt a little odd to me that he would want to become involved romantically with a human.

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                          That is kind of something I hated about Eccelstons and Tennents Doctors.
                          How they were always whining and moaning about being the last time lord,and HOW LONELY They were!

I mean am I the only one that remembered that the Doctor really didn't like his own people that much? And that was one of the main character traits of his character(s) that HE didn' want' to be on Gallifrey?
                          I mean don't get me wrong, I am not emplying that he is glad that they are dead but some of the butt ache that was shown for the TL" just seemed very out of place to me.
                          This would probably grate me if I'd watched more of the earlier series. As it appeared to me, it came across as him not being particularly proud of the Time Lord race, but distraught at their loss. Everyone tends to remember the best of people after they've passed, the Doctor was no different in that respect. For me, it was necessary to reinforce the fact that he was the last of his people, and somewhat altered after a fourty (?) year war
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily View Post
                            Well... I heard at a recent Stargate con that Chris never intended to go beyond one season... So if the show failed, it would be blamed on the fact that the franchise was not accessible to a new generation. If it succeeded then he would be the man who revived the franchise.

But personally, I think Chris prefers making films and doing theatre work.
                            I know the moment for this has well passed, but these comments amuse me. We all assume (based upon what we've heard from various sources) that we know the truth. I was glancing through a ST board the other day (I'm not a member, and haven't been on there in years) and with respect to actor's departures, we really have no idea, even if it comes from a so-called official source.

Denise Crosby left because:

i) she wanted to pursue a movie career
                            ii) she didn't like the fans
                            iii) she was worried she'd get typecast
                            iv) she wanted to do theatre work

Gates McFadden left because:

i) she was being sexually harrassed by one of the producers
                            ii) Gene didn't like the character
                            iii) she wanted to pursue theatre work
                            iv) she was pregnant - related to this, she managed to be pregnant at various points throughout the series, resulting in an almost five year gestation period

And even in relation to SG, some of the statements over the years have managed to contradict themselves, even from TPTB (accidental or otherwise). We don't really know anything
                            sigpic

Comment

I've just dipped into the future, we must be prepared for the worst.
                              The 12th Doctor
                              sigpic

Comment

I've just dipped into the future, we must be prepared for the worst.
                                The 12th Doctor
                                *drops to knees and prays for the Valeyard to make this NOT HAPPEN!*
                                I like Sharky
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X